Road Trip To Winnipeg

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
Hey guys my two friends and I are die hard jets fans just bought ourselves two nice tickets located in the 326th level for 180 a piece and were traveling from brockville ontario anyway the point of this thread...

where should we party/bars to hit/sights we should see along our way what are the must dos in winnipeg! we got 600$ for gas but what should we hit! :yo:

it really depends, do you want quality strippers or average strippers? :sarcasm:

dearyou

Mar 2, 2004
I'll recommend the Yellow Dog for some great beer on tap and fantastic food. Best pub downtown

Also check out Osborne village + Corydon

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
91% of these threads are from 70% of these guys that just post promote their own businesses 10% more than the previous poster half the time.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Considering I haven't set foot in a winnipeg bar for about 10 years...I'll still suggest the Palimino on Portage if your lookinf for some not so high class company for the night.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
we got 600$ for gas but what should we hit! :yo:

Road trips are awesome but that drive can be rough depending on what time of year you guys are coming out. I am planning a trip down to the Hamilton area for the late April game in buffalo and airfare was $300 return to YYZ.

No Name Poster

Maurice Navidad
Oct 29, 2011
The Peg
Dinner...Case Grande corner of Sargent and Wall. It is the best Italian joint in town. Amazing.

The Forks is always worth a look as well.

It depends on what your looking for in a bar. I happen to like country bars, so I like the Downs in the Howard Johnson on Portage Ave. they have pretty good live bands. The Pal is ok...if your looking for a meat market, go there. That's also on Portage, and Wall Street, I believe.

I haven't been to alot of them, but I also like Cowboys out on Lagimodiere.

In terms of Pubs there's Shannon's(down town by the convention centre), the Toad in the Hole on Osbourne, there's also the Tavern, right by the arena. I like the Toad personally.

You should definitely check out the Sals on stafford(?) I think. It's all done up with a bunch of rock memorabilia.

Am I missing something here? Last time I was in a Sals a bunch of old ladies served me a really terrible breakfast for $3. Most of the clientele were 60-80 year old dudes with mesh hats. Has something changed with Sals (other than the bridge one which I know is modern)?

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
No, its still a mediocre restaurant. but the one on stafford does have some manitoba rock and roll memorabilia. wouldn't be on my top-50 of places to go in Wpg.....

Am I missing something here? Last time I was in a Sals a bunch of old ladies served me a really terrible breakfast for $3. Most of the clientele were 60-80 year old dudes with mesh hats. Has something changed with Sals (other than the bridge one which I know is modern)?

bazaaa*

91% of these threads are from 70% of these guys that just post promote their own businesses 10% more than the previous poster half the time.

Wow, 70% of posters in this thread own restaurants and lounges? Amazing numbers.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Hey guys my two friends and I are die hard jets fans just bought ourselves two nice tickets located in the 326th level for 180 a piece and were traveling from brockville ontario anyway the point of this thread...

where should we party/bars to hit/sights we should see along our way what are the must dos in winnipeg! we got 600$ for gas but what should we hit! :yo:

You're not here long, and you're essentially a tourist, so I would stick with

(1) the exchange district (pubs, clubs, rests);
(2) the forks (pubs, rests, some history and views, if weather is nice); and/or
(3) osbourne village (ambiance)

These are unique to Winnipeg and will make your stay enjoyable without having to venture too far out of the centre of the city and the area where the arena is, and will enable you to avoid the cookie cutter chain experience of pretty much every north american city.

Most of the other suggestions are just personal preferences from locals who want to project their own experiences, having known the city and its quirky rests and bars which are probably going to leave you out of our way.

Have a safe drive ... that's a tough one in winter!

bazaaa*

I love salsbury house. So old school and greasy, lol.

I actually had it for the first time last year, and it's just down the street from me. It is good, just never think of going there for some reason.

Why have they changed some (all?) to Sals Express (signage)?

I really like Five Guys, it's expensive, but once every month or two it's worth it to me.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I actually had it for the first time last year, and it's just down the street from me. It is good, just never think of going there for some reason.

Why have they changed some (all?) to Sals Express (signage)?

I really like Five Guys, it's expensive, but once every month or two it's worth it to me.

Five Guys is a chain. The OP can get Five Guys in Ottawa (probably). He should try a Winnipeg-style burger, which means with chili, mustard, pickles and onions - no ketchup, mayo, etc.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
LOL, OP asks about what sights to see and it becomes a where to get greasy burger debate ... reminds me of the "Take pride, Winnipeg!" slogan. :laugh:

PS. More to this great town than burgers. As the kids say, "represent"...

:naughty:

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
For a truly memorable trip, I normally suggest for out-of-towners from Ontario:

Accomodations:

Sutherland Hotel
New West Hotel
Northern Hotel
Yale Hotel

Restaurants
Any restaurant in these hotels will leave a lasting reminder of your trip.

Nightlife:

Gios
Club 200
Any place that calls itself a "Beverage Room"

Wait, you're Jets' fans. Avoid these.

bazaaa*

Five Guys is a chain. The OP can get Five Guys in Ottawa (probably). He should try a Winnipeg-style burger, which means with chili, mustard, pickles and onions - no ketchup, mayo, etc.

Yeah true.
Not a lot of them in Canada yet though.
Now I want to go to Sals lol

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
You're not here long, and you're essentially a tourist, so I would stick with

(1) the exchange district (pubs, clubs, rests);
(2) the forks (pubs, rests, some history and views, if weather is nice); and/or
(3) osbourne village (ambiance)

These are unique to Winnipeg and will make your stay enjoyable without having to venture too far out of the centre of the city and the area where the arena is, and will enable you to avoid the cookie cutter chain experience of pretty much every north american city.

Most of the other suggestions are just personal preferences from locals who want to project their own experiences, having known the city and its quirky rests and bars which are probably going to leave you out of our way.

Have a safe drive ... that's a tough one in winter!

Best post so far. I second this to our future visitor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad