Road Trip To Winnipeg

Beavski24

Aug 10, 2012
Calgary
Hey guys my two friends and I are die hard jets fans just bought ourselves two nice tickets located in the 326th level for 180 a piece and were traveling from brockville ontario anyway the point of this thread...

where should we party/bars to hit/sights we should see along our way what are the must dos in winnipeg! we got 600$ for gas but what should we hit! :yo:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Dinner...Case Grande corner of Sargent and Wall. It is the best Italian joint in town. Amazing.

The Forks is always worth a look as well.

It depends on what your looking for in a bar. I happen to like country bars, so I like the Downs in the Howard Johnson on Portage Ave. they have pretty good live bands. The Pal is ok...if your looking for a meat market, go there. That's also on Portage, and Wall Street, I believe.

I haven't been to alot of them, but I also like Cowboys out on Lagimodiere.

In terms of Pubs there's Shannon's(down town by the convention centre), the Toad in the Hole on Osbourne, there's also the Tavern, right by the arena. I like the Toad personally.

You should definitely check out the Sals on stafford(?) I think. It's all done up with a bunch of rock memorabilia.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I'll skip the poutine and river skating recommendations I'd make for an American visitor, especially since Ottawa has a pretty good trail IIRC.

Best pub: King's Head - close to the MTS center in the historic Exchange district, awesome architecture in that area, pretty packed on the weekends

Best burger (in the winter): Daly or Original George's - try to get a Winnipeg style burger while you're here

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
There are no sights. It's -30 to -40. Just the game. Go to Tavern United beside the rink, and you're set!

Also, what game do you have tickets for?

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Moxies on the ground floor of the MTS Center for some drinks and food.....the talent there is worth the extra few bucks over the other locations mentioned so far IMHO!!!!!!

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Kingshead as previously mentioned, but hit up Osborne Village after to party - plenty of choices from pubs to lounges to martini bar. Lots of restaurants too.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I'll skip the poutine and river skating recommendations I'd make for an American visitor, especially since Ottawa has a pretty good trail IIRC.

Best pub: King's Head - close to the MTS center in the historic Exchange district, awesome architecture in that area, pretty packed on the weekends

Best burger (in the winter): Daly or Original George's - try to get a Winnipeg style burger while you're here

The one on St. Mary's or Arlington really. Both are pretty good.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Depending on when you are coming you should definitely check out the Festival Du Voyageur.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Didn't everyone who grew up here go with their school? If not your schools should be ashamed of themselves

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
tell us your age and what you like to do...

Otherwise you'll get pretty random suggestions for oddball restaurants and places to have a drink:)

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
tell us your age and what you like to do...

Otherwise you'll get pretty random suggestions for oddball restaurants and places to have a drink:)

such as "go to Moxies" because it's not like they don't have crappy chain restaurants in Ontario :)

and telling someone to go eat on Sargent...dudes, don't. it isn't wpg's most flattering side.

King's Head is a fun pub. not a horrible choice.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
such as "go to Moxies" because it's not like they don't have crappy chain restaurants in Ontario :)

and telling someone to go eat on Sargent...dudes, don't. it isn't wpg's most flattering side.

King's Head is a fun pub. not a horrible choice.

It isn't like it's terrible either. Either way the food is totally worth it.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Didn't everyone who grew up here go with their school? If not your schools should be ashamed of themselves

I think it depends. I went to French Immersion so we went every year, but not sure if schools outside of St. Boniface and not french would go.

Honestly lots and lots of people I know always go to Festival, but I rarely go since it's too damn cold. And the parties are just meh, hard to get drinks, etc. Not a huge fan myself.

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005
I think it depends. I went to French Immersion so we went every year, but not sure if schools outside of St. Boniface and not french would go.

Honestly lots and lots of people I know always go to Festival, but I rarely go since it's too damn cold. And the parties are just meh, hard to get drinks, etc. Not a huge fan myself.

Out of curiosity, what school?

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Hey guys my two friends and I are die hard jets fans just bought ourselves two nice tickets located in the 326th level for 180 a piece and were traveling from brockville ontario anyway the point of this thread...

where should we party/bars to hit/sights we should see along our way what are the must dos in winnipeg! we got 600$ for gas but what should we hit! :yo:

If im at the game your at, Ill buy you a beer, SECTION 326 REPRESENT

Puckschmuck*

Honestly lots and lots of people I know always go to Festival, but I rarely go since it's too damn cold.

I remember, back in the 80s and 90s, many times it was well above freezing during festivale that the ice sculptures were melting. There were cold times, but there were also warm times too. Either way, it was a good time when I was a kid, and I would like to go again someday when I get a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad