RNH With McDavid Vs. Draisaitl With McDavid

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm not anti-Nuge. I like Nuge a lot and I'm scared to death that he's only playing on McD's wing as a way of showcasing him for a trade. I also agree that the current lines work best. I only mentioned Drai in response to people (maybe it was even you?) saying that while RNH can drive offense on his own line, Drai couldn't. I was simply disputing that point by saying that Drai has been (albeit not as consistently as we would all like). Plus, this is a discussion about Nuge, McD, and Drai, so I don't think I'm off topic.

Drai is in the thread title. lol. You shouldn't have to defend replying about him in a thread where he's being discussed.

The poster was LTIR though. He's made a lot of indefensible comments lately. But doesn't even attempt to defend the unsubstantiated statements.

The only time Nuge was arguably moving some offense on his own was playing with Lucic, who, earlier in the season looked better before he noted that it was a non playoff year and decided to check out. They had some mojo for awhile but also what looked like pretty considerable puck luck. Milan had 1 own goal awarded and Nuge 2. You're living good if you get that many own goals for your line in a couple months. Now Lucic seems jinxed wherever he is in the lineup.

I'll say this clearly too. Longterm Nuge is not a good idea with McD. We've seen similar movies before. Nuge performs well initially but at some point allows his linemate to carry most of the weight. Similar to how Hall/Eberle reliance eventually made him a much worse player. Now maybe that's changed, maybe his whole psyche of compete is different now, more consistent, but I still wonder.

If Nuge is playing with McD regularly he needs to be a player that can bring the intensity and match energy regularly. Its been hard to do that for long for anybody. McD pace tires out everybody else on the ice surface. For or against.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Nuge is playing with McD regularly he needs to be a player that can bring the intensity and match energy regularly. Its been hard to do that for long for anybody. McD pace tires out everybody else on the ice surface. For or against.

One of the things that you don't have to worry about with Nuge is his cardio. McDavid is likely better in this regard because well, he's damn near super human, but Nuge is no slouch in this regard and much better than bigger bodied guys like Maroon, Lucic and Drai. That said I wholeheartedly agree that Nuge shoudn't just defer to Connor as that makes Connor's job harder. If he can find that balance and a bigger bodied RW for his line, he could have a monster season next year.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Can't believe we're still wondering if Drai can drive his own line a year after we signed him to an atrocious 8.5M assuming he could drive his own line.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Can't believe we're still wondering if Drai can drive his own line a year after we signed him to an atrocious 8.5M assuming he could drive his own line.
Drai has no problems driving his own line and is worth all his contract

The only reason we'd want to play him with McDavid is because they are so good together. If we feel forced to do it, it's more of an indictment of the rest of the team

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Drai has no problems driving his own line and is worth all his contract
The mixed reviews on Draisaitls play while cantering his own line and the constant wanting of better wingers for Drai to work with seems to point to "we still don't know if he can or not"

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The mixed reviews on Draisaitls play while cantering his own line and the constant wanting of better wingers for Drai to work with seems to point to "we still don't know if he can or not"
He’s playing with ahlers. Every player in the league needs good linemates if they are good to excel.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He’s playing with ahlers. Every player in the league needs good linemates if they are good to excel.

I agree. But he wasn't always playing AHLers, when he had Eberle on his line we were still wondering if he could centre his own line.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Drai needs to grow up abit. Ever noticed how he hangs his head when he doesnt get to play with Mc David? this attitude does not help the team.

As for how good he is, I think Drai has played alot of hockey in the last year. I think hell be better next year. Which he has to be to make our salary cap work.

He's really young. I'm sure that as he matures and gets a buddy on his line those issues will go away.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Draisaitl is almost at a PPG with barely any PP points and spending a fair amount of the season away from Mcdavid. He's a legitimate 1st line center in this league even though I think 8.5 is to much for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad