RNH With McDavid Vs. Draisaitl With McDavid

Walter Sobchak

Dec 30, 2015
RNH and McDavid should stay together next year with Draisaitl centering the #2 line.

I would like to see Puljujärvi and Yamamoto fill out the top 6...... just need a LW to play on Leon's line that it's named Lucic.

Reactions: McSuper

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Anyone else think JP's stick is too long? (thats what she said) but seriously.

It's funny because I always thought the same thing about Magnus Paajarvi.

As for Puljujarvi, I'm actually in favor of keeping him away from McDavid until his ELC is up; the last thing we need is him going into RFA status with inflated numbers. In fact, we should have a rule that you aren't allowed to play with McDavid in a contract year (unless we are planning on trading you).

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
I really like the fact RNH is on McDavids wing for many reasons, production, talent balance, ect

RNH - McDavid - XXX
XXX - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Strome - XXX
XXX - JuJar - Kassian

Build the line up with pairs and Fill in the XXX with Asberg/Rattie/ Slep and the other with a UFA or RFA unless you cant turn down one of Benson or Yamamoto

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
As I've stated in other threads its hard to judge how well the actually pairing is doing because a lot of the current results is McD just temporally elevating his offensive play to the stratosphere. Also that McD has quite clearly been cheating up for points.

McD was on fire later last season to bag lots of points and is doing the same this year.

Kudos to Nuge who has adapted very well to the McD game and considerably better than say Lucic and Eberle. But we don't know how long such a line would click, what opponents would do to slow it down etc. I tend to think physical play against this line is a more effective strategy for opponents than it would be if any of Maroon, Drai, or Lucic is on the line.

I wish we had more time to assess.

The other thought is that Chia is just pumping Nuges tires for trade in.

Really as good as Nuge has been in there I vastly prefer Maroon in there at a much cheaper contract and bringing more intangibles and punching donkeys. It is odd that we see no concern with slotting 6M buck winger in there on a regular basis and yet people felt that paying Maroon 3.5M for same complimenting winger role was untenable. Again as good as Nuge has been in there, and he has been, if you're shifting Nuge in there to be just 2nd wheel, and winger, on a McD line then you aren't getting full value of the player. Same thing obviously applies with Draisaitl who should be, and is, running his own line.

Finally, the success of Rattie on the line means that Mcd is of course pretty flexible and can elevate pts for a wide range of players that happen to have the requisite skill tools. But still Maroon has unique attributes and McD takes less physical punishment when Maroon is on the ice. This is of course a very salient thing to point out.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
This isn't to compare RNH and Drai as IMO Drai is the clear cut #2 guy on this team. This thread is to wonder what kind of production the RNH/McDavid duo has had vs. the Draisaitl/McDavid duo. Now I know that RNH has played less with Connor than Leon has but IMO it's fair to say that both players have chemistry with Connor because they can think the game and are highly skilled.

Ultimately I think that it makes the most sense to have Nuge on Connor's wing so that Drai can face the bigger centers of the league, but is the Connor line as dominant, more dominant or less dominant with Nuge on the LW vs. Drai on the right?

gotta find a way to get rid of Lucic and keep RNH.
If Lucic is an Oiler it likely means RNH isn't

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
It's funny because I always thought the same thing about Magnus Paajarvi.

As for Puljujarvi, I'm actually in favor of keeping him away from McDavid until his ELC is up; the last thing we need is him going into RFA status with inflated numbers. In fact, we should have a rule that you aren't allowed to play with McDavid in a contract year (unless we are planning on trading you).

so true
It cost the Oilers 2M more/year on the Draisaitl contract.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
We need Drai to carry his own line @ 8.5m

RNH and McDavid look great together. Keep them as a duo until they show otherwise

I don't get this either.

Its the Drai needs to carry his own line and play with lightweight dolts like Cagg and Aberg all day who look like swatted flies in own zone, but we can load up top line with 18.5M in two players. Meanwhile Drai gets to see the same tough sledding opponents while carrying tweener NHLers around the ice.

Any Quality Center needs one Winger that is at least capable of playing 200 ft hockey and has requisite skill for puck possession. You can't have both wingers that can't hack it.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Drai needs to play on his own line because the salary structure demands it.

He doesn't need to do it while carrying 2 minor leaguers at all times. Not only does the cap situation not at all call for that, it's also a completely unrealistic expectation.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
RNH and McDavid should stay together next year with Draisaitl centering the #2 line.

I would like to see Puljujärvi and Yamamoto fill out the top 6...... just need a LW to play on Leon's line that it's named Lucic.
Call me stupid but I am 90% sure Lucic comes back next year to his former self and slots nicely in the 2nd LW spot. His positioning this year has still been great and that of a top 6 forward. If he works on getting lighter I'm sure he gets a step back the rest of his game will follow. Full confidence in him he is a smart guy it's one bad year we can't write him off yet as much as we are upset with his play. I'm a firm believer that because so much went wrong for him this year and the fact that the coach seemingly just kept trying to force him through it by keeping him on that first line effected him. He's still signed for a while so the Oilers really need to help him figure something out because you can't have a 6 million dollar guy underperforming throughout the rest of his contract.that being said there has to be a backup plan if he doesn't figure it out.

Also I would prefer seeing Yamamoto in the AHL all of next season along with Benson

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Draisaitl because he's significantly better at faceoffs and can actually produce without McDavid.

RNH actually becomes worth his 6M when he plays with McDavid

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
As I've stated in other threads its hard to judge how well the actually pairing is doing because a lot of the current results is McD just temporally elevating his offensive play to the stratosphere. Also that McD has quite clearly been cheating up for points.

McD was on fire later last season to bag lots of points and is doing the same this year.

Kudos to Nuge who has adapted very well to the McD game and considerably better than say Lucic and Eberle. But we don't know how long such a line would click, what opponents would do to slow it down etc. I tend to think physical play against this line is a more effective strategy for opponents than it would be if any of Maroon, Drai, or Lucic is on the line.

I wish we had more time to assess.

The other thought is that Chia is just pumping Nuges tires for trade in.

Really as good as Nuge has been in there I vastly prefer Maroon in there at a much cheaper contract and bringing more intangibles and punching donkeys. It is odd that we see no concern with slotting 6M buck winger in there on a regular basis and yet people felt that paying Maroon 3.5M for same complimenting winger role was untenable. Again as good as Nuge has been in there, and he has been, if you're shifting Nuge in there to be just 2nd wheel, and winger, on a McD line then you aren't getting full value of the player. Same thing obviously applies with Draisaitl who should be, and is, running his own line.

Finally, the success of Rattie on the line means that Mcd is of course pretty flexible and can elevate pts for a wide range of players that happen to have the requisite skill tools. But still Maroon has unique attributes and McD takes less physical punishment when Maroon is on the ice. This is of course a very salient thing to point out.
I think it was more the issue of Maroon not signing for 3.5. If youre Maroon why not try for a $4 mil contract at UFA. I think if Chia could have signed Maroon for $3.5 for 2 or 3 years he would still be on the team.

Reactions: Aerrol and harpoon

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I think it was more the issue of Maroon not signing for 3.5. If youre Maroon why not try for a $4 mil contract at UFA. I think if Chia could have signed Maroon for $3.5 for 2 or 3 years he would still be on the team.

The terms and offer has not been on record afairc so we're all just guessing. In anycase I'm stating it hypothetically. It its 4 or more for Maroon then it makes more sense to retain Nuge for his flexibility and ability to play Center.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
The terms and offer has not been on record afairc so we're all just guessing. In anycase I'm stating it hypothetically. It its 4 or more for Maroon then it makes more sense to retain Nuge for his flexibility and ability to play Center.
Yea its just me speculating but I can picture his agent telling him its his one chance to set him and his kid up long term for life.

My hope is maybe league interest isnt crazy and he circles back to us. I have all sorts of time for Maroon at $3.5

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Walter Sobchak

Dec 30, 2015
Call me stupid but I am 90% sure Lucic comes back next year to his former self and slots nicely in the 2nd LW spot. His positioning this year has still been great and that of a top 6 forward. If he works on getting lighter I'm sure he gets a step back the rest of his game will follow. Full confidence in him he is a smart guy it's one bad year we can't write him off yet as much as we are upset with his play. I'm a firm believer that because so much went wrong for him this year and the fact that the coach seemingly just kept trying to force him through it by keeping him on that first line effected him. He's still signed for a while so the Oilers really need to help him figure something out because you can't have a 6 million dollar guy underperforming throughout the rest of his contract.that being said there has to be a backup plan if he doesn't figure it out.

Also I would prefer seeing Yamamoto in the AHL all of next season along with Benson

I think Lucic rebounds as well, I am just not sure he's best utilized in a top 6 role. I think in a perfect world Yamamoto spends a year in the AHL but I am not sure the Oilers will have that depth luxury. He will learn on the fly next year and I personally think he's going to be an excellent pro. I am really excited about his potential.

Reactions: SullivanT

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
It's been my long held opinion that the Oilers have room in the top 6 for 3 excellent centres. Very Hockey Canada way to build at forward. Whether it's Drai or RNH moving to the wing for periods of time, mixing up the roles either takes depending on team matchups or needing a shakeup. Guaranteed to have top 6 centres if one gets injured.

As an RNH fan, the talk of shipping him out has been hard. It's been nice to see that he can perform at wing, great outcome to this blown-season experiment.

Reactions: ujju2

westbeast

Jun 22, 2017
Why not put Nuge with Drai? Connor has proven he can drive his own line, while Drai may require some additional help

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Why not put Nuge with Drai? Connor has proven he can drive his own line, while Drai may require some additional help

I'd hope our 8.5 million dollar C could drive the second line... I do expect he will. Another winger to play in the top 6 would go a long way, but until then, I think Nuge should stay with McDavid. And even then , I'd keep Nuge with McDavid and get Draisaitl a winger.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think Nuge has been good with McDavid.

I think it makes sense for McDavid and Draisaitl to be on separate lines. Draisaitl is better at driving a line than RNH. So it makes sense for him to be on his own line. Play Drai/McDavid together when you need a goal late in the third. Could even use a RNH - McDavid - Drai if the coach was at least sort of creative.

I still wonder if perhaps RNH should be playing on a line with Draisaitl rather than McDavid. Though I do like to see him get an opportunity to play with skill players.

I think McDavid needs to play with good linemates but at the same time does he really? He creates so much offense off of the rush that the vast majority of his chances are basically just him with his wingers 20 feet back. Theres no better player in the league whos able to create more without linemates, its not even remotely close.

McDavid line is going to create scoring chances, no matter who his wingers are. Obviously better wingers will make the line more effective. But someone like Maroon who wasnt an all-star did work very well with him.

Draisaitl and RNH could/should make the second line that much more dangerous. A better second line should take off pressure on McDavid. Draisaitl needs more help than McDavid does. Aberg and Cagguila dont really cut it. I still think they should be trying to build chemistry between Draisaitl and Puljujarvi. If Drai/JP pan out than maybe keep RNH with McDavid.

One of the big problems with this team, is that they need multiple lines going every night. It just doesnt happen regularly.

Just dont trade Nuge for a winger ... unless its a serious upgrade. Nuge has shown the ability to play the wing and he gives security if McDavid or Drai get injured. Trading him for a Hoffman, Pacorietty etc type would be a mistake imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Definitely keep RNH there . When Draisaitl signed his contract, he was signing up to carry his own line.
Even big RNH fans must be surprised to see him playing this well. Its not just the points either.
Its like playing with McDavid has rejuvenated some atrophied part of his hockey brain and it works again.
He's making plays these days that he hasn't even bothered trying for four, five years.
Looks faster, looks feistier. Making some sick passes too.
Not a chance Chiarelli can trade him now.

Pretty sure even Nuge's biggest critics can agree that he was much more creative and assertive offensively tonstart this season. Playing wing on McDavid's line is probably the biggest breath of fresh air Nuge has had in years.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Would rather RNH with Mcdavid than Drai with Mcdavid. We paid Drai to be our second line star, should be played as such.

Now our coach just needs to wake up and put JP on a line with either Connor or Leon. Poor bastard is getting ruined by this tard we call a coach.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I don't get this either.

Its the Drai needs to carry his own line and play with lightweight dolts like Cagg and Aberg all day who look like swatted flies in own zone, but we can load up top line with 18.5M in two players. Meanwhile Drai gets to see the same tough sledding opponents while carrying tweener NHLers around the ice.

Any Quality Center needs one Winger that is at least capable of playing 200 ft hockey and has requisite skill for puck possession. You can't have both wingers that can't hack it.

I agree Draisaitl needs better linemates

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don't get this either.

They should try Puljujarvi on Drai's line. They put up really good numbers in the limited amount of time they've played together. Then have a speedy guy like Aberg that also has a good shot. Need speed on Drai's wings for games he doesn't feel like skating.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
They should try Puljujarvi on Drai's line. They put up really good numbers in the limited amount of time they've played together. Then have a speedy guy like Aberg that also has a good shot. Need speed on Drai's wings for games he doesn't feel like skating.

Agreed. I just dont understand the coaches love with Cagguila. I like Cagguila well enough. Hes a good energy guy, plays hard, plays with an edge but hes a fourth line player imo. He doesnt have the skill or the defensive awareness to be much more. Why not try Aberg - Drai - JP and see how it goes? The seasons lost and the coach is still beyond stubborn to try anything logical because he thinks hes fighting for his and Woodcrofts job I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->