Proposal: RNH + Koskinen to CBJ

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
A re-signed RNH plus Koskinen to CBJ for a Goalie of there choice + a 3 C + a Left winger . Add picks to balance the trade out . RNH signed at under 7 million

Oilers need a better 3 C a ,#1 goalie and A top 6 LW . While Koskinen is a ok 1b he can not handle the work of a true #1 . CBJ get a C that can hold down the top spot until they get a better 1C . We can also add Jones as it may entice his big brother to re-sign .

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If RNH was willing to sign under $7 million per why would you move him for a low value return like this?

I'm trying to think what specifically your proposal would have to be based on the OP. We're looking at what Elvis, Domi + Robinson for a sub 7 signed RNH? Have you looked recently at the numbers posted by their goalie tandem? They aren't very good considering the D core in front of them. Don't really want Domi at his cap hit and Jenner while a good guy can't be the best piece in an RNH trade. Were you thinking Domi as the winger and Riley Nash as the 3c? Either way it feels like selling low on RNH.

Last edited:

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
A re-signed RNH plus Koskinen to CBJ for a Goalie of there choice + a 3 C + a Left winger . Add picks to balance the trade out . RNH signed at under 7 million

Oilers need a better 3 C a ,#1 goalie and A top 6 LW . While Koskinen is a ok 1b he can not handle the work of a true #1 . CBJ get a C that can hold down the top spot until they get a better 1C . We can also add Jones as it may entice his big brother to re-sign .

How often does a player get signed then traded right after. Like once a decade?

If RNH does hit free agency he is not likely going to Columbus. They can't even keep their own guys, what makes you think they can get RNH to give up beeinf a UFA for the 1st time in his career just to sign with CBJ and do do Oilers a solid.

I expected much better out of you but this is just one reason out of many this proposal is awful

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If RNH was willing to sign under $7 million per why would you move him for a low value return like this?

I'm trying to think what specifically your proposal would have to be based on the OP. We're looking at what Elvis, Domi + Robinson for a sub 7 signed RNH? Have you looked recently at the numbers posted by their goalie tandem? They aren't very good considering the D core in front of them. Don't really want Domi at his cap hit and Jenner while a good guy can't be the best piece in an RNH trade. Were you thinking Domi as the winger and Riley Nash as the 3c? Either way it feels like selling low on RNH.

It would be more accurate to say that their stock has dipped a bit because they aren't stealing games for their team like they were before. There's nothing about the players in front of them that makes their job easier, the Jackets are a rolling dumpster fire.

Then again what has RNH done lately that makes him such a valuable piece? 10 5v5 pts in 35 games is not top six level.

I don't see a gold for garbage deal here.

Reactions: Viqsi and Fro

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How often does a player get signed then traded right after. Like once a decade?

If RNH does hit free agency he is not likely going to Columbus. They can't even keep their own guys, what makes you think they can get RNH to give up beeinf a UFA for the 1st time in his career just to sign with CBJ and do do Oilers a solid.

I expected much better out of you but this is just one reason out of many this proposal is awful

That's not how it works. The acquiring team speaks with the player's agent to see if they can agree on $$ before the teams make a deal. That's why you see many many times a trade is announced and then a matter of hours later a contract is signed.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
That's not how it works. The acquiring team speaks with the player's agent to see if they can agree on $$ before the teams make a deal. That's why you see many many times a trade is announced and then a matter of hours later a contract is signed.
I know this and it doesn't change my point one iota.

Why would nuge do this instead I hitting the open market? Just the help out the Oilers?

But it doesn't even help the Oilers it makes them worse.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I really don't want RNH coming back in any package. We have that type of player already (Roslo/Texier) and don't need another. Would be open to moving Korpi or Elvis for the right deal. And Jones does nothing for us (we have the better one) so there's no real need. And trading Nash is probably for the best either way.

I think the big problem is both teams want the other teams core pieces. Understandable considering they meet each teams needs. But that is a discussion I'm willing to leave to the professionals.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I know this and it doesn't change my point one iota.

Why would nuge do this instead I hitting the open market? Just the help out the Oilers?

If you get your ask met months in advance it is a pretty nice piece of security. You don't need to worry about injuries or a scoring drought ruining your payday. (RNH still at 10 5v5 points, you have to wonder if he is getting nervous).

Why did Pageau sign with the Islanders before hitting the open market? Because they paid him, duh.

I really don't want RNH coming back in any package. We have that type of player already (Roslo/Texier) and don't need another. Would be open to moving Korpi or Elvis for the right deal. And Jones does nothing for us (we have the better one) so there's no real need. And trading Nash is probably for the best either way.

I think the big problem is both teams want the other teams core pieces. Understandable considering they meet each teams needs. But that is a discussion I'm willing to leave to the professionals.

It's questionable whether RNH is worth $7m or even $6m, certainly hotly debated in Edmonton, his scoring without McDrai is embarrasingly bad. But no, the Jackets don't have that RNH type of player. They don't have a single center that can play with talented wingers and take care of the defense at the same time. Roslovic is all offense, Nash all defense, Texier is just beginning to learn the ropes. Of course it is a need. Though I might argue RNH isn't worth it.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Doubt the Blue Jackets can afford to give RNH 7x7 plus give big contracts to Laine, Jones and Werenski in the next 2 summers.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

A couple of things . No I haven’t look at their goalies stats lately . I also said add picks to balance it out . RNH is currently paying wing and I think we can get a good winger for less then 7 million .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Rather keep Nuge.

Really don't understand why some Oilers fans are in such a race to discard him.
How is this discarding him ? It fills 2 needs but I would argue 3 but I get RNH may be better then the incoming winger . But he isn’t better then a good 3C , a 1b goalie and a nature top 6 LW .

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Doubt the Blue Jackets can afford to give RNH 7x7 plus give big contracts to Laine, Jones and Werenski in the next 2 summers.

Even if they could fit it, do they really want to be the team that has RNH signed well into his 30's? Those sorts of contracts don't work out well the majority of the time

Reactions: Dumais

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
You don't get to play asset management games with your own pending UFAs, not when you are even a modest buyer and a playoff team. You aren't going to trade them as rentals for futures at the deadline. Early in the offseason, you can re-sign them or see them walk in free agency. At no point are you going to be able to use them as trade chits.

But, ah, the moon shot that keeps HFBoards going! In the exceptionally rare cases where sign-and-trades have happened in the NHL, it's been about the player using his current team (which make no mistake, is signaling that it wants to be rid of him in these scenarios and maximize its return) to get the extra year that he can't get in free agency.

There has to be something in these scenarios for the player, which he can't get on his own. The moment a team comes to you and says it wants to trade you, it's not your team anymore. You'll just decline and tell them you'll call your own shot in free agency in a few months, and f*** you very much. They've given up the right to claim loyalty; they want to trade you and they've told you so to your face.

The upshot is that sign-and-trades are only applicable for superstars, for the sorts of players that teams would give eight-year deals. The eighth year, which a player can't get on his own in free agency, is what entices the player to play ball. That's it.

Anyone think Nugent-Hopkins is in line for a max-term deal? No? Then why does he help out the Oilers?

My guess is the Oilers re-sign him in the offseason, perhaps right after the expansion draft but before the start of free agency. My gut feeling is they'll probably give him more than the OP would like, but that's the way it goes with free agency.

Reactions: Guffman and ujju2

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I'm not the biggest fan of RNH but he seems to be working out for Edmonton on and off the ice and if they want to compete they need to start nailing their supporting cast down long term instead of churning through dumpster dives and crapshoot UFA experiments. They need to lock up RNH, Nurse, Larsson and Barrie and go all out getting 2 players that would be quality long term solutions at 3C and G

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
How is this discarding him ? It fills 2 needs but I would argue 3 but I get RNH may be better then the incoming winger . But he isn’t better then a good 3C , a 1b goalie and a nature top 6 LW .

I like Nuge and he's productive but he's not a 30 goal scoring winger that we need and he'll likely want at least the same as he's getting now, so between $6 mil and 8 mil/per and I'd rather give that to a winger because Nuge is a great center and should play there but not at his current or likely asking price !

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

Hopkins isn't worth 7M.
With a flat cap I'm not interested in having him back at 6M, TBH.
Given the % of the time he's playing with McDavid and Drai, it's a joke that he can't put up 1PPG.

Reactions: Luckylarry

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm not the biggest fan of RNH but he seems to be working out for Edmonton on and off the ice and if they want to compete they need to start nailing their supporting cast down long term instead of churning through dumpster dives and crapshoot UFA experiments. They need to lock up RNH, Nurse, Larsson and Barrie and go all out getting 2 players that would be quality long term solutions at 3C and G

They need to lock down Nurse and Barrie.
I'm 1/2 convinced that Hopkins and Larsson are becoming expendable.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I like Nuge and he's productive but he's not a 30 goal scoring winger that we need and he'll likely want at least the same as he's getting now, so between $6 mil and 8 mil/per and I'd rather give that to a winger because Nuge is a great center and should play there but not at his current or likely asking price !

Nuge isn't a great center. He's better suited for the wing given how horrible he is at face-offs.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021

maybe sign Hoffman in the offseason then.. scoring winger.. salary will prolly fall in that range

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hopkins isn't worth 7M.
With a flat cap I'm not interested in having him back at 6M, TBH.
Given the % of the time he's playing with McDavid and Drai, it's a joke that he can't put up 1PPG.
We should fire Pulju to the moon then considering he has both on his line and only 1 G in last 10.

The only joke is Oilers fans chasing him out of town.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad