News Article: Rishaug says Jim Johnson will not be re-signed

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'll guess Johnson lost the PK after it went 1-for-4 in the blowout loss vs Buffalo on January 23 (Game #48).

With Johnson (first 48 games)
Overall: 110-for-154 (71.4%), 31st overall
At Home: 39-for-72 (54.2%), 31st overall

With McLellan (last 34 games)
Overall: 78-for-91 (85.7%), 2nd overall
At Home: 38-for-45 (84.4%), 8th overall

Oof.

Why did it take so long to take a serious look at the special teams?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Written by Kurt Leavins.

- believes McLellan will be the head coach next season

As long as he changes his approach to how he does things, he better get this team into the playoffs. However a shit leopard doesn't change its spots.

- has also heard Johnson is out and has already been released from his position
Good.

- knows for a fact McLellan took over the PK in late January or early February

Johnson should have been released then.

- believes there was a communication problem between the players and Woodcroft

Uggh. Not sure why he gets a second life. I'm not sure what is worse...watching a Woodcroft powerplay or ants scrambling around looking for shit. Looked about the same I guess.

-unsure how strong the Woodcroft/Bakersfield speculation is

He screws up completely at the pro level, so as punishment he gets to f*** our prospects in the mind too possibly? The author stated there was a communication problem with him and the players here. That's going to magically fix itself at the AHL level? This organization if this happens.

- it's believed Herbers has an option at the UofA

He was just kind of there so no loss... To quote the two Bobs from Office Space, what did he exactly do here?

- uncertain about the future for goalie coach Dustin Schwartz

He made Talbot worse in my opinion, so good riddance. Chabot was terrible...maybe find a guy who has played in the NHL for a few seasons this time, would ya Petey.

- thinks Chiarelli is waiting to see what happens with other coaches around the league

I could see them eyeballing Trotz. I know some thing he'
s lateral to MacLellan but I think he has better relationships and communication skills with his players. He was in Nashville for nearly a decade. That says something.

Thanks for the breakdown of the article! My responses to each point is in bold in your opinion.

Reactions: Del Preston

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I actually kind of liked Johnson because I thought he was doing some great work with Nurse.

He definitely earned his ticket out of town with those PK numbers though.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Alain Vigneault NHL career coaching record:

.588 regular season
.489 playoffs

Another coach who shits the bed when it counts... basically almost the exact same numbers as McLellan and likely a sign that they lack something when it comes down to actually making a significant difference in games that matter the most.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
So instead of just throwing shit around and pointing out the mediocre coaches.... here's some that "might" be good coaching replacements on the Oilers:

Hartley .554 regular season .568 playoffs
Keenan .551 regular season .555 playoffs (Too old for the NHL at this stage when he's been out of the NHL for 8 years? Probably.)
Ruff .561 regular season .550 playoffs
Therrien .563 regular season .535 playoffs
Darryl Sutter .565 regular season .524 playoffs
Larry Robinson .492 regular season .596 playoffs (significant increase in success in the playoffs when games matter the most... but obviously you want a coach who is also able to GET the team to the playoffs as well.)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Larry hasnt been a head coach in 12 years I doubt anyone’s considering him.

Ya... I added him last to the list and as I said... he's a bit of a question mark because of that regular season record BUT I do remember him being solid when I watched him coach with the Devils.

I'm just trying to come up with a decent list of McLellan replacement options instead of saying "McLellan sucks" like 99% of others.

Reactions: I am the Liquor
Oct 15, 2008
So instead of just throwing **** around and pointing out the mediocre coaches.... here's some that "might" be good coaching replacements on the Oilers:

Hartley .554 regular season .568 playoffs
Keenan .551 regular season .555 playoffs (Too old for the NHL at this stage when he's been out of the NHL for 8 years? Probably.)
Ruff .561 regular season .550 playoffs
Therrien .563 regular season .535 playoffs
Darryl Sutter .565 regular season .524 playoffs
Larry Robinson .492 regular season .596 playoffs (significant increase in success in the playoffs when games matter the most... but obviously you want a coach who is also able to GET the team to the playoffs as well.)

Buncha retreads.

May as well add Barry Melrose, Grapes and Howie Meeker to that list.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
More replacement options (legit credit given to IATL for these):

Melrose .447 regular season .542 playoffs (gets the job done in the playoffs... (great find IATL). Would likely be a great hire if Wayne comes with him... that is if they can pry the red wine away from Gretzky and get him into a time machine and back to his early 90's level of play so Melrose can have McDavid/Gretzky/Drai/RNH in the top 6.

Grapes .601 regular season .564 playoffs... Bobby Orr's knees are likely back to their late 1960's level again with the awesome power of LivRelief so if Grapes/Orr come as a package this may be just what the Oilers are lacking in a puck moving dman and more legit crustiness behind the bench instead of calm and collected (and useless McLellan). Players like PoolJar, Carhaw, Suckraw, PackIrene, and Slapchef probably wouldn't be around too much longer on the team... but so be it.

Meeker .407 regular season NA playoffs (Can't say I am fully on board with this option from IATL... Meeker "might" be slightly past his prime having last coached in 1957 but hey everything old is new again and maybe he would have some interesting new insights into NHL systems and methods... couldn't be any worse than the game of x's and o's Woodcroft and McLellan play on their whiteboard on the bench every PP.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Hoping Bill Peters gets fired and oilers bring him in as associate coach.

I'm not sure about Peters. Everyone seems to love him yet his system has never shown signs of success and has been a mess defensively. He seems to have an Eakins-esque approach that puts a little too much stock in generating corsi rather than focusing on the things that win games.

Reactions: McFuhryous
Oct 15, 2008
Well name some of your own replacement options or join the list of 99% *****ers with no alternatives... :)
I don't follow hockey close enough to pretend to know but I'm thinking the next Jon Cooper type. Some phenom from outside the NHL who has a solid track record of winning wherever they go. A good coach who is outside all the OBC's that are so pervasive in the NHL. Just hope and pray that you are getting the next Jon Cooper and not the next Dallas Eakins. As long as you have someone picking who has more between their ears than a couple rat turds (I'm looking at you Craig!) they should be OK.:)

Reactions: Aerrol

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hoping Bill Peters gets fired and oilers bring him in as associate coach.
I'm not sure he'll get fired but he may choose to just not come back if I read correctly.

Another option I wouldn't be opposed to is Tony Granato for Associate Coach. He has a long successful coaching resume and likely has a good relationship with the Old Boys that are ultimately going to be hanging around the team. It could be good to have a quality mind behind the bench and some added cohesiveness to whatever garbage might be going on upstairs. Both he and Todd were assistants to Babcock in Detroit in different time frames.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don't follow hockey close enough to pretend to know but I'm thinking the next Jon Cooper type. Some phenom from outside the NHL who has a solid track record of winning wherever they go. A good coach who is outside all the OBC's that are so pervasive in the NHL. Just hope and pray that you are getting the next Jon Cooper and not the next Dallas Eakins. As long as you have someone picking who has more between their ears than a couple rat turds (I'm looking at you Craig!) they should be OK.:)
Sheldon Keefe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad