Blue Jays Discussion: RIP Roy Halladay (1977-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Morales to me is the wildcard in getting everything we need done completed. If we need to ship a prospect to get rid of his contract so be it. Ridding him from our lineup instantly gives us more dollars and flexibility as the Jays wanted without making any additions.

There are opportunities to get the type of players into our lineup that we need. Corner OF, 2nd Baseman and Starter is what we need. If I were Shatkins I would seriously look at Clevelands way because they will need to make changes. Kipnis and Brantley to me should be targets. I would then DH Travis and rotate at 2B and with others in DH spot (Tulo, Martin, Smoak, etc..).

DH - Travis
2B - Kipnis
3B - Donaldson
1B - Smoak
RF - Brantley
SS - Tulo
LF - Hernandez
C - Martin
CF - Pillar

Bench : Pierce, Goins, Carerra, Backup Catcher (Lopez or Maile)

Stroman
Estrada
Happ
Cobb or Tomlin
Sanchez

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Wow, umping/replays just hit a new low with that Granderson overturned "foul tip".

After the fact, Wolf admitted he handled the situation poorly.

"After looking at it, I was dead wrong," Wolf told a pool reporter. "I talked myself into the whole thing."

As Wolf explained, it wasn't a matter of the other umpires correcting the call itself, but rather telling Wolf that the ball did not bounce, as he thought it had.

"It hit the ground the same time as the mitt," Wolf said. "After hearing that, then I [recalled hearing] two distinct, separate sounds. And after hearing that from the crew, that the ball did not bounce -- it did hit the ground, but it did not bounce -- I basically talked myself into, 'He did foul tip it.'"

Though Wolf was convinced by the replay that he made the wrong call, Granderson remained adamant that he made contact.

"I don't know what it looked like, but I hit the ball," Granderson said. "Replay's not always going to show it."

Reactions: Kurtz

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Why Brantley? This guy just had ankle surgery and can never stay healthy. No thanks, we already have Travis doing that.

Left handed bat that plays good defensively, has speed and pop.

This past season he played in about 100 games with good numbers. But I believe he will be bought out and this latest setback is minor. Will be ready for the spring. He is much better then any OF on our current roster

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Option not picked up, not bought out. But premise being the asset being free of acquisition cost (I.e monetary only) is along the right path.

Opening the DH spot should be a priority, though putting Travis there is a bit silly. Interestingly, a guy like Brantley would benefit from DHing every once and a while (ditto for Tulo, Martin, Pearce).

Kipnis I don’t do as I find it unnecessary. Something along the lines of: sign Chatwood, sign Brantley, trade Morales; acquire Frazier, one of Wood/Maurer, and check in on the cost of David Dahl, is what my strategy would be.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Left handed bat that plays good defensively, has speed and pop.

This past season he played in about 100 games with good numbers. But I believe he will be bought out and this latest setback is minor. Will be ready for the spring. He is much better then any OF on our current roster

I'm no doctor, but I'm not sure ankle surgery with an expected recovery time of 4-5 months qualifies as a "minor setback".

If you can sign him for cheap, it wouldn't be a bad option with a little bit of upside. But there's plenty of risk.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
4-5 months recovery is definitely not "minor". A bit too injury prone for my liking. If healthy he'd be an excellent fit at the top of the order though.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Never understood why Dave Martinez and Sandy Alomar havent been MLB Managers yet. These guys either dont get interviews or fall just short.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Brantley was able to play through the injury was on playoff roster and did well. Although his recovery is 4-5 months it was a cleanup not anything broken or torn, not a serious injury.

Travis at DH and rotated throughout games at 2B and DH would be wise from a Jays perspective. Hes our best hitter, can hit leadoff. We just need to keep him healthy. Less in the field might able the Jays to keep him in the lineup.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Question, who do you guys think will be the most underpaid and overpaid players in free agency (excluding Otani)?

I'll go with Zack Cozart for most underpaid and Jake Arrieta for most overpaid.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Question, who do you guys think will be the most underpaid and overpaid players in free agency (excluding Otani)?

I'll go with Zack Cozart for most underpaid and Jake Arrieta for most overpaid.
I will agree with you on Cozart for most underpaid, but I will go with Hosmer for the most overpaid free agent.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Verlander getting squeezed. No surprise.
As someone who lives just outside the Detroit area and gets Detroit radio feeds, I can tell you that there are specific umpires in the MLB who for some odd reason, HATE Justin Verlander...

Reactions: HOTD

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Can't wait for Teoscar to get his ring for his 1.1 defensive innings, 1 putout and 0 plate apperances he had for the 'Stros. What are the rules on that anyway. Does he get one if they win?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Can't wait for Teoscar to get his ring for his 1.1 defensive innings, 1 putout and 0 plate apperances he had for the 'Stros. What are the rules on that anyway. Does he get one if they win?
According to Wikipedia, MLB players who were only briefly on the team's roster during a championship season and those no longer affiliated with the winning team also often receive World Series rings. Therefore, if the Houston Astros win the World Series, Teoscar Hernandez will most likely be presented with his very own World Series ring by the Astros early in the next season.

As both the physical size and number of rings given out has increased, teams have started producing both "A" and "B" versions, and sometimes "C" versions, that are similar in appearance but smaller in size and use cheaper materials. The most expensive "A" rings are typically reserved for full-time players, coaches, and executives, while bit players and other team employees receive the cheaper "B" and "C" rings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series_ring
A World Series ring is an award given to Major League Baseball players who win the World Series. Since only one Commissioner's Trophy is awarded to the team, a World Series ring is an individual award that players and staff of each World Series champion team get to keep for themselves to symbolize the victory. World Series rings are uniquely commissioned by the winning team each year and presented to deserving players and staff early in the next season. The rings have been made by companies that include Jostens, Tiffany & Co., Dieges & Clust, and the L.G. Balfour Company.
Players typically receive their rings in pregame ceremonies early in the next season. Since the rings are commissioned by the team, many non-players affiliated with the team, including front office executives, coaches, scouts, broadcasters, locker room staff, and groundskeepers also receive rings at the team's discretion. After the 2004 World Series, the Red Sox ordered over 500 rings; the Cardinals commissioned 400 rings in 2006; and the Kansas City Royals distributed about 700 rings after their 2015 title. Players who were only briefly on the team's roster during a championship season and those no longer affiliated with the winning team also often receive rings. Arthur Rhodes, Bengie Molina, and Lonnie Smith played in the World Series against a team they played for earlier in the season, guaranteeing them World Series rings regardless of the series outcome. As both the physical size and number of rings given out has increased, teams have started producing both "A" and "B" versions, and sometimes "C" versions, that are similar in appearance but smaller in size and use cheaper materials. The most expensive "A" rings are typically reserved for full-time players, coaches, and executives, while bit players and other team employees receive the cheaper "B" and "C" rings.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
Smart move by Atkins to buy low on the guy before his trade value skyrockets due to being a proven winner. :laugh:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Ross Atkins hates the idea that the Toronto Blue Jays have come across as a heartless, soulless organization, callously laying off long-serving employees without reason or compassion.

The Jays GM said he’s been hurt by accusations that the Toronto front office has been trying to establish a “new brand” in the image of his former organization by laying off loyal workers, particularly in the communications and high performance and medical departments. The Jays have taken considerable heat over dismissals to the front office in recent weeks. One example is baseball information manager Mal Romanin, who was very highly regarded by the denizens of the Blue Jays press box, including yours truly.

From a personal perspective, there was an incident this past season when I was interviewing Jose Bautista at his stall in the Jays clubhouse when Marcus Stroman walked by and started advising Bautista that I was “dicey” and that he’d better watch what he says because I would twist his words — particularly since Bautista is a Latin player. Stroman also warned me that I would be off the beat soon and that I was “irrelevant.” Of course, the wise guys in the press box immediately started calling me “Mr. Irrelevant” after that.

Earlier, I had written a column suggesting that Stroman would be advised to rein in his emotions on the mound, especially when his frustrations were aimed at the umpires, as they might have long memories and could squeeze him in future starts. Stroman took exception to the column and let me know it on a number of occasions.

That day he went off in the clubhouse, Romanin immediately went over to defuse the situation. And he did, very professionally — even suggesting that I might have taken too much of a confrontational stance with Stroman as the argument progressed. He didn’t take sides. Simply put, Romanin was very good at his job and greatly respected by the press.

So, the question for Atkins is: How does laying off somebody like Romanin, along with his colleagues Erik Grosman and Sue Mallabon — all good at their jobs and loyal Jays people to the core — help win more ball games?

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016

I don't know if those people deserved to be fired, but it's clear Shatkins have a real image problem. You'd be hard pressed to find two less likable people at a dive bar in Tuscaloosa on a Monday morning.

Their corporate babble is worse than nails on a chalkboard. They're the kind of folks you can picture squirming up a corporate ladder like a stripper on a metal pole. They'll try and sell you a used car on credit hoping you're too stupid to check the interest rate. They'll convince your mother she's won a free cruise without mentioning she needs to buy a timeshare in order to claim it.

But, that's just one mans impression.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad