Player Discussion Rickard Rakell

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
While we are on the topic, what do people think is Rakell's upside?

Can he be a 30-30 guy? Similar production to, say, JvR? He's got a ton of skill, a great shot, and size.

Personally, I'd be happy if he puts up 25 goals and 50 points on a consistent basis.

25 and 60 I think is realistic in a great year for him. He put up a 23 goal 49 point pace this season so those totals aren't too far from that. Injuries could be a bit of a worry though he's been hurt a little bit since the start of last season with a concussion keeping him out of some action too.

I originally thought he would be more of a 45 point guy until I saw the dramatic improvement in his shot this season. He went from having a bit of a muffin to a fairly decent shot.

Potentially. But Silferberg was a superb offensive talent in Sweden. As I said I have hopes Silf gets his old mojo back. And he is just 2,5 years older than Rakell. Somehow Silf has got locked into this defensive role, which was not his role in his young days. Hope he gets unstuck.

I just don't see it at the NHL level - he's decent to good offensively but not outstanding. He's got a great shot when he has space to release it. He's a decent passer too and has improved his speed to the point I would say it's above average. But he's not overly creative, he's not great getting chances in heavy traffic areas, he is woefully inconsistent and 15 of his 20 goals last season came against non playoff teams. I also think he piggybacked of Keslers ridiculous run from the mid point of the season out, Kesler was the driving force behind that line IMO. Rakell is far more dynamic, has better vision and is far shiftier than Silfverberg. He can create more on his own and dictates the play more in the offensive zone.

Last edited:

KeepItDeep

Jun 19, 2007
Sierra Nevadas

While that seems like good news, I'm always skeptical when someone says they "heard" something. If they didn't hear it directly from the source, then it's a 3rd hand rumor at best.

Who is this Aivis Kalnins, and does he have any history to give him more credibility?

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
While that seems like good news, I'm always skeptical when someone says they "heard" something. If they didn't hear it directly from the source, then it's a 3rd hand rumor at best.

Who is this Aivis Kalnins, and does he have any history to give him more credibility?

I see that guy talking a lot about NHL players somehow related to KHL. I really don't remember him breaking anything etc.

And then there was this really funny take-down by Girgensons on that guy :laugh: :

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Lol Rakell was never going to the KHL IMO. Why would he want to play there unless they were paying him like twice as much? Didn't his girlfriend just move to Anaheim?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

This guy is a Latvian and as far as I have seen he has pretty good sources in the KHL, he is usally spot on.

But I had not seen the Girgensons burn on him haha :laugh:

Great to hear Ricky is closing in on the deal

9197ceadbdd044892a3d6b5c3d5952ed8cf9ce661c3412d74401c1463afc9e3b.jpg

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
That sounds to me more like Bob is pushing a bridge deal and Ricky wants the $4x6. Even before his surgery it never made sense to me to give him more than a "prove it" bridge deal.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
That sounds to me more like Bob is pushing a bridge deal and Ricky wants the $4x6. Even before his surgery it never made sense to me to give him more than a "prove it" bridge deal.
I'd have to find the article(s) again, but there were numerous sources saying that the Ducks camp wanted long-term deals on both fronts.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'd have to find the article(s) again, but there were numerous sources saying that the Ducks camp wanted long-term deals on both fronts.

Yeah, I know, I saw them too. But that recent comment from Ricky's agent didn't sound like they were in the same ball park. Even though, previously he had said they were possibly making progress. Makes me think Bob may have pulled a 180 on them after the recent surgery. He may have decided he wouldn't budge on the long term deal and now it's a bridge or nothing.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Yeah, I know, I saw them too. But that recent comment from Ricky's agent didn't sound like they were in the same ball park. Even though, previously he had said they were possibly making progress. Makes me think Bob may have pulled a 180 on them after the recent surgery. He may have decided he wouldn't budge on the long term deal and now it's a bridge or nothing.
Possibly. I can't imagine that Rakell's health issues aren't impacting the AAV either. BM could still be pushing for 4 or so years, but the price probably has dropped considerably. Don't think he probably is too keen on 6 years at 4M right now.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Possibly. I can't imagine that Rakell's health issues aren't impacting the AAV either. BM could still be pushing for 4 or so years, but the price probably has dropped considerably. Don't think he probably is too keen on 6 years at 4M right now.

Between his health, his lack of arb rights, and his only recent improvement (while still having work to do defensively), he really has no grounds to demand a long term deal. It's fine to ask, but at this point in time he has even less to support his holdout than Hampus does. He needs to get his ass in camp asap.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Why is it always Bob? Didn't like Claude Lemieux as a player maybe he is just that way as an agent. What if he just overvalues both and plays hardball. I know agents are paid to the most out of the deals but sometimes it looks like the agents are just greedy. It was the same way with Bobby Ryan back then and now we face the same situation.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I'm still amazed a player like Rakell who's had 1 good NHL season (and 2 incredibly poor playoff performances) is going to be a hold out for his first non-ELC contract. I'm a fan of the guy, but there's no way he's done anywhere near enough to warrant anything other then a bridge/shorter term contract.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I'm still amazed a player like Rakell who's had 1 good NHL season (and 2 incredibly poor playoff performances) is going to be a hold out for his first non-ELC contract. I'm a fan of the guy, but there's no way he's done anywhere near enough to warrant anything other then a bridge/shorter term contract.

You took the words out of my keyboard.

Alhough I would probably risk and give him the longterm deal IF it is reasonable, not for 4M per, that`s for sure.

Rak was very good with the twins but he was struggling to anchor a line himself. So far he is nothing more than a complementary player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad