Player Discussion Rickard Rakell

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Kucherov signs for 3 x 4,76 with keeping him still at RFA. That should help our leverage.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
No idea how Rakell can ask for something similar to what Kuch got when he's had one good season. He should get a bridge deal to prove he can play like he did last season consistently. Make it two years so when Bieksa and Stoner's contracts are up we can give Rakell what he wants.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
No idea how Rakell can ask for something similar to what Kuch got when he's had one good season. He should get a bridge deal to prove he can play like he did last season consistently. Make it two years so when Bieksa and Stoner's contracts are up we can give Rakell what he wants.

I'd agree, but the reports said that the Ducks were the ones pushing for six years and didn't want a bridge.

Still, this signing should somewhat show where the leverage lies at this time.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Feels like some of the players like Kucherov and Gaudreau just want to play, whereas our Swedes just want to get paid.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I still wonder how much of this scenario is due to Claude Lemieux.

Regardless of how often you bring this up, it's far from a fact. And to the degree it may be, that goes right back on Hampus' shoulders. It's his agent. He hired him. He knows what he's asking for and he's fine missing camp with a new coach and a new system to learn.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Regardless of how often you bring this up, it's far from a fact. And to the degree it may be, that goes right back on Hampus' shoulders. It's his agent. He hired him. He knows what he's asking for and he's fine missing camp with a new coach and a new system to learn.

Don't you think Hampus tells his agent 'I want to get what I'm worth" and a lot of the rest comes from the agent?

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Between his health, his lack of arb rights, and his only recent improvement (while still having work to do defensively), he really has no grounds to demand a long term deal. It's fine to ask, but at this point in time he has even less to support his holdout than Hampus does. He needs to get his ass in camp asap.
I agree completely with that and I'd honestly want to see him get signed to a 2-year bridge or so right now. Not sure what BM thinks though, because some of those articles/tweets came out when Rakell was in the hospital.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Don't you think Hampus tells his agent 'I want to get what I'm worth" and a lot of the rest comes from the agent?

How could you merely make such a broad statement to your agent and then end the discussion? You don't think he and Claude have discussed term (long vs short), AAV, and different approaches to the negotiation? That's just naive. But regardless, if you hire him, you're responsible for how he represents you. Ignorance is not an excuse.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
How could you merely make such a broad statement to your agent and then end the discussion? You don't think he and Claude have discussed term (long vs short), AAV, and different approaches to the negotiation? That's just naive. But regardless, if you hire him, you're responsible for how he represents you. Ignorance is not an excuse.

I don't want to speak Hampus free from the situation we face right now. I just think the key facts of the different approaches and the contract comparisons are part of the agents work. Sure Hampus has the last word but if the agent suggests to play hardball th player will follow his advice more often than not.

Maybe my view on contract negotiations is naive, I just recognised by looking around the league agents can cause a lot of problems.

Last edited:

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Rakell

Hey guys.....NY Ranger fan but huge Rickard Rakell owner in my long time big money fantasy league for past two years. Why is there no thread on who IMO from watching your team alot via NHL Center Ice might be your best player either here on your board or on main HF boarrd? FYI: I just started one on main board cause Rakell is criminally not known about.

Rakell had he not missed first 6-8 games due to visa/injury issues would be on pace for to 40 goals....no misprint. No one knows about him other than you guys here in Ducks Nation or people like me who own him in fantasy leagues.

Do you guys think he's the best player on your team as i do or not? I'm thinking from what I've seen of him, Rakell has some 40 goal seasons in him. What surprise me is that everyone talks about Matthews, McDavids, Marners...etc. But no one talks about at all about Rakell. He IMO is the most underrated most under talked about player in the league.

Not sure it bothers you guys but bothers me that no one knows about Rakell.....the best player in the league know one knows about...ugggg.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Hey guys.....NY Ranger fan but huge Rickard Rakell owner in my long time big money fantasy league for past two years. Why is there no thread on who IMO from watching your team alot via NHL Center Ice might be your best player either here on your board or on main HF boarrd? FYI: I just started one on main board cause Rakell is criminally not known about.

Rakell had he not missed first 6-8 games due to visa/injury issues would be on pace for to 40 goals....no misprint. No one knows about him other than you guys here in Ducks Nation or people like me who own him in fantasy leagues.

Do you guys think he's the best player on your team as i do or not? I'm thinking from what I've seen of him, Rakell has some 40 goal seasons in him. What surprise me is that everyone talks about Matthews, McDavids, Marners...etc. But no one talks about at all about Rakell. He IMO is the most underrated most under talked about player in the league.

Not sure it bothers you guys but bothers me that no one knows about Rakell.....the best player in the league know one knows about...ugggg.

I believe he is second in g/gp only behind Crosby. That stated, I think he's our best player attacking with speed and possibly creativity wise, but overall I still believe that Getzlaf is our best player. However, even Getzlaf (somewhat jokingly) admitted that Rakell was going to steal his job. Having players that no one talks about is what the fan base is used to, and I think it's actually preferred at this point. Kid is definitely a treat to watch.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

He's not our best overall player, but definitely has been our most consistent scoring threat this year. Getzlaf and Kesler are still our two most vital forwards, and Silfverberg's combo of offense and top notch two way play make him just as much of an impact player as Rakell. That all being said, without a doubt Rakell has outplayed Perry this season.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

First, there was a thread on him, and we talk about him here often.

Second, you're correct on 40 goal pace if he wasn't injured.

Best player on the team? No. Still a long ways to go before he captures that one IMO. His defense isn't awful, but when he's at center, his line generally struggles against better lines. He's much more effective at wing.

He's definitely the best goal scorer on the team now though.

As far as other teams/fans not talking about him, he's a Duck; we're used to it.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
People just don't watch the Ducks enough to know about our younger guys. HF and most outside media just stat-watch these guys and base everything on that. Look at the hype Manson gets around here for having strong adv stats, or how slammed Fowler gets because of his. Or how about the common notion that Silfverberg will be left hanging in the expansion draft (LOL!).

Matthews, McDavid, Marner, etc. all had some draft hype that they carried over into strong NHL career stars, it's no wonder they are getting all the attention. Ricky isn't on the same tier as some of those guys, and he's a few seasons removed from his draft year where he was a somewhat sleepy pick at the time. He also isn't having some explosive breakout year [edit: actually, I suppose this would have to be described as a big breakout season if he breaks the 30 goal plateau or better. I meant to say that he jumped to 20 last season and took a similar leap this one, it's no fluky hot streak imo], this has been steadily building while buried on a third line behind "better" players (more experienced is more accurate). This is the first season that he's getting regular 1st line minutes.

In any case, he is potting goals at an impressive clip, but his 20 mark is only good for 14th in the league or so right now, and that's all most people will notice. Not exactly hype worthy. He'll also get the asterisk that most will add assuming that playing alongside Getzlaf and Perry is gifting him a bunch of gimme goals, which just isn't the case. If anything, he's been a big part of carrying that line while Getzlaf can't find the back of the net and Perry has fallen into a black hole.

I think keeping him on the wing has been a big part of it. Hopefully he stays there for now.

Last edited:

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
With the two goals he is tied for best Swedish scorer in NHL with Forsberg. Rakell has 11 fewer games.

There is a vote for who scores most goals in the season on the biggest Swedish newspaper sports section. Forsberg leads with 82% vs 12% for Rakell (and about 6% other).
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/

So we happen to meet Nashville after the next game. I'm looking forward to it.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Forsberg has been on a tear lately, hasn't he?

Not that I'd bet against Rakell right now. Forsberg's pace the last little bit is ridiculous, and he'll obviously cool down.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
For all the crap I believe GMBM is responsible for, the Rakell contract was a genius move.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Current top 5 in goals per game this season -

1) Sidney Crosby - 0.60
2) Patrik Laine - 0.54
3) Evgeni Malkin - 0.50
3) Nikita Kucherov - 0.50
5) Rickard Rakell - 0.49

Ad

Upcoming events