News Article: Rick Dipietro added as analyst on ESPN

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Serious question: has any player polarized our fanbase more than DP? If not DP, who?

If DP didnt constantly get hurt, guy would be beloved. His body broke, always had a too big of an ego and rushed back. I always wanted the guy to play well.

Never understand why people blame him. Wang gave him that stupid deal. Who in their right mind wouldn't have taken that?

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
If DP didnt constantly get hurt, guy would be beloved. His body broke, always had a too big of an ego and rushed back. I always wanted the guy to play well.

Never understand why people blame him. Wang gave him that stupid deal. Who in their right mind wouldn't have taken that?
He was by far the best player on the ice for a lot of those years. If he could have stayed healthy, I agree he'd be beloved despite his contract.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

My 2 cents - He was hurt when he went to the all-star game. He wanted to go anyway and hurt his hip in the ridiculous skills competition as a result. He also inexplicably added about 20 pounds of muscle during the lockout. Just speaking for myself, in that era with so few bright spots I was hoping for a franchise goalie to replace the one that was traded and it was frustrating to see him do some questionable things and ultimately fail. To his credit - He seemed to be an Islander through and through. He loved it here. Hard not to root for him.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Milbury did not sign DP to that contract. DP was a really good goaltender for us and honestly at the time it was signed the contract wasn't terrible. Locking up a franchise goaltender (which he was before all of his injuries) for a $4.5million cap hit isn't horrendous. The real problem was DP's body breaking down whicg honestly nobody could have predicted.
Sure, lots of 25 year old NHL goalies can play for 15 more years. What a contract!!!

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
My 2 cents - He was hurt when he went to the all-star game. He wanted to go anyway and hurt his hip in the ridiculous skills competition as a result. He also inexplicably added about 20 pounds of muscle during the lockout. Just speaking for myself, in that era with so few bright spots I was hoping for a franchise goalie to replace the one that was traded and it was frustrating to see him do some questionable things and ultimately fail. To his credit - He seemed to be an Islander through and through. He loved it here. Hard not to root for him.
I find it easy not to root for him.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Yashin, for sure.

Was there much polarization around Muller? Didn't we all despise him? He was Islanders public enemy #2 right after Hunter to me.
Good point. We’ll swap him for MAB and his slap shot…

On Muller, I remember that off-season he was in the hockey news season preview with the fisherman jersey. I mean imagine going from the Habs to the Isles, then to top it all off you get the pleasure of wearing that logo. Ha!

Reactions: JKP

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Sure, lots of 25 year old NHL goalies can play for 15 more years. What a contract!!!
The logic wasn’t all bad. Top end goalies were getting 6, 6+ at the time and salaries continued to climb. So if he’d been good for 8-10 years you would have saved big time and then at the end he’d have been moderately overpaid.

Problem was that’s a damn long time to be assuming everything goes as expected… which it didn’t. He broke down early and goalie salaries plateaued and didn’t keep going up. Double whammy.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The logic wasn’t all bad. Top end goalies were getting 6, 6+ at the time and salaries continued to climb. So if he’d been good for 8-10 years you would have saved big time and then at the end he’d have been moderately overpaid.

Problem was that’s a damn long time to be assuming everything goes as expected… which it didn’t. He broke down early and goalie salaries plateaued and didn’t keep going up. Double whammy.
The Isles were also trying to build some player stability with the franchise as it had been a revolving door. Yashin, DP, and Peca were all part of that strategy - Peca was offered a 8 or 10 year deal I believe as well. He passed probably on the basis that league revenues would grow and guys like him got paid big time as UFAs during his era (UFA age was older too).

Reactions: JKP

BKIsles

Jan 22, 2013
Good for DP, I like him on the radio. Don't know how much ESPN coverage I can stomach, but I think he will be good in the analyst role.

As for his career on the Isles, he really did have a big stretch from '04-'08. I remember catching a game when I was back from college on winter break in '06, and DP really saved our bacon that night. I distinctly remember being surprised at the level of his play and thinking we had a top-tier goalie. He was on some real crap teams though, probably my least favorite in 30 years of being a fan.

DP was ambitious but hadn't smartened up to being a pro, and the injuries compiled. We were so mickey mouse at the time, his downfall probably wouldn't have been so swift with a better organization and more team leadership. I'll always appreciate he carried the banner for the Islanders at a time when it seemed like we were just a team of mercenaries. But if you take that role and get the hookup from Wang, you open yourself to get piled on when it crashes and burns. Worth it, IMO.

Reactions: Big L and JKP

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
You dont like DP because he signed a contract that was offered to him? You’d have done the same thing. Not his fault it was a bad contract for the team. Blame those who dreamed it up, not DP
Where did I say that I don't like DP because he signed a contract that was offered to him?? I don't like DP. I think he's a pompous idiot. Didn't like him when he was a healthy player. But my reply was to the comment "and honestly at the time it was signed the contract wasn't terrible. "

Of course it was a terrible contract. Sure, it was a great per year salary from management's perspective in the short term, but the average number of games played in a career for NHL goalies is 148. If he played 15 years at 50 games per year, it would total 750 games. So for the bulk of his potential career at contract signing, it could be projected to be a very bad contract. And it was.

On top of that, we traded future star Luongo so that we could draft DP? Completely and utterly ridiculous.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Where did I say that I don't like DP because he signed a contract that was offered to him?? I don't like DP. I think he's a pompous idiot. Didn't like him when he was a healthy player. But my reply was to the comment "and honestly at the time it was signed the contract wasn't terrible. "

Of course it was a terrible contract. Sure, it was a great per year salary from management's perspective in the short term, but the average number of games played in a career for NHL goalies is 148. If he played 15 years at 50 games per year, it would total 750 games. So for the bulk of his potential career at contract signing, it could be projected to be a very bad contract. And it was.

On top of that, we traded future star Luongo so that we could draft DP? Completely and utterly ridiculous.
What’s the average for the goalies taken in the first round or the first two rounds? Not defending the contract at all, but using the average goalie tenure isn’t a super legit stat given how many journeyman goalies come and go.

Reactions: Old Man Perriwinkle

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
What’s the average for the goalies taken in the first round or the first two rounds? Not defending the contract at all, but using the average goalie tenure isn’t a super legit stat given how many journeyman goalies come and go.
Not counting goalies who are still playing, 13.2 % of goalies that were 1st round picks have played 600 or more games.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Always love the comments that DiPietro was a top goalie. Check his stats, middle of the pack consistently. Was an average goaltender at best. Put him on a better team and he's still an average goalie. His skill set was nothing to brag about and his 5 hole was grand canyon sized. He was too concerned about being the story night in and night out. Best thing that ever happened to the Isles was him getting hurt.

joekono

Apr 29, 2016
Roxbury,New Jersey
Milbury did not sign DP to that contract. DP was a really good goaltender for us and honestly at the time it was signed the contract wasn't terrible. Locking up a franchise goaltender (which he was before all of his injuries) for a $4.5million cap hit isn't horrendous. The real problem was DP's body breaking down whicg honestly nobody could have predicted.
That's why it was a bad contract. Also, yes, Milbury didn't sign that ridiculous contract I meant he drafted him and got rid of Luongo on that's on Milbury draftng DiPietro .Bottom line is, they had a lifer goalie in Luongo and if they kept him would have had Kolalchuk or Spezza the next year instead of trading Luongo and drafting Dipietro. He was not a really good goaltender. Look up his stats, 2007 was his best year(and Dubi got us in on the last day). Injuries do matter, so I'm not putting all the blame on Dipietro but he was what he was, a 1st overall pick who couldn't stay on the ice, was average at best as a goalie and a terrible fighter.:laugh:

Reactions: MYIslanders

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
That's why it was a bad contract. Also, yes, Milbury didn't sign that ridiculous contract I meant he drafted him and got rid of Luongo on that's on Milbury draftng DiPietro .Bottom line is, they had a lifer goalie in Luongo and if they kept him would have had Kolalchuk or Spezza the next year instead of trading Luongo and drafting Dipietro. He was not a really good goaltender. Look up his stats, 2007 was his best year(and Dubi got us in on the last day). Injuries do matter, so I'm not putting all the blame on Dipietro but he was what he was, a 1st overall pick who couldn't stay on the ice, was average at best as a goalie and a terrible fighter.:laugh:

DP was average at best (before injuries)? I mean I guess if you consider him carrying us to the playoffs when we had no business doing so, having really strong numbers at the olympics and making the all-star team as average at best…I guess you’re right.

Reactions: scott99

scott99

May 13, 2005
Always love the comments that DiPietro was a top goalie. Check his stats, middle of the pack consistently. Was an average goaltender at best. Put him on a better team and he's still an average goalie. His skill set was nothing to brag about and his 5 hole was grand canyon sized. He was too concerned about being the story night in and night out. Best thing that ever happened to the Isles was him getting hurt.
DP was a GOOD, not great NHL goalie. He was never gonna be as good as Luongo though, therefore it was a huge mistake by Milbury, who always tried to prove he was the smartest guy in the room, but always wound up the dumbest.

joekono

Apr 29, 2016
Roxbury,New Jersey
DP was average at best (before injuries)? I mean I guess if you consider him carrying us to the playoffs when we had no business doing so, having really strong numbers at the olympics and making the all-star team as average at best…I guess you’re right.
Ever hear of Chris Osgood, he got the Islanders to the playoffs in 01-02, while Dipietro was doing whatever in Bridgeport. They (now what we know was a mistake) traded Osgood in February of 03 and got knocked out of the first round the next two years. That terrible team that needed to be carried was the team that got into the playoffs three straight years (Peca, Yashin, Hamrlik) was after the Islanders missed the playoffs 8 years in a row. Osgood also ended up winning the Cup in 2008 . The fact that you bought olympic numbers in this discussion means nothing. Again, he shouldn't have been here but he was and injuries or not, was a bust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad