News Article: Rick Dipietro added as analyst on ESPN

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Happy to see him keep finding success. First with his radio show and now he can get back in to the NHL as an analyst for ESPN. Good for him and happy to see we will have a Islander to counteract the bias that I’m sure Messier and Callahan are going to bring. Rick can take that annual $1,500,000 buyout check he got on July 1st and go out and celebrate this weekend lol Crazy to think he will be getting 1.5M every year until 2028-29. Also he would have officially became a free agent this summer at 39 years old.

Full NHL on ESPN team announced, with notable additions

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Happy to see him keep finding success. First with his radio show and now he can get back in to the NHL as an analyst for ESPN. Good for him and happy to see we will have a Islander to counteract the bias that I’m sure Messier and Callahan are going to bring. Rick can take that annual $1,500,000 buyout check he got on July 1st and go out and celebrate this weekend lol Crazy to think he will be getting 1.5M every year until 2028-29. Also he would have officially became a free agent this summer at 39 years old.

Full NHL on ESPN team announced, with notable additions
For some reason, I just cannot stand listening to the guy. I hope he never gets a job on Islanders' MSG broadcasts.

Reactions: saintunspecified

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Play by Play is interesting since Bob Wischusen is listed. Is he a play by play up north already? I know he does ESPN football. When I moved to Florida in 1991 I started listening to WQAM - 560AM in Miami and Hank Goldberg was doing his afternoon drive time slot and his two young assistants on the program were Wischusen and Jon 'Boog' Sciambi. The two of them met at BC, where they both worked for the school's radio station, along with current ESPN broadcaster Joe Tessitore according to Wiki.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
For some reason, I just cannot stand listening to the guy. I hope he never gets a job on Islanders' MSG broadcasts.

Yeah, idk about him either. There are some people I'd really love to retire from that list, starting with one-note guys Barry Melrose and Mark Messier. Enough. Put AJ + Ferraro + Weekes + Callahan together with a really good studio host (I assume either Cohn or Buccigross from that list), and it'd be great. I prefer the analysts to be insightful, not smarmy. On that note, Greg Wyshinski suuuucks.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Yeah, idk about him either. There are some people I'd really love to retire from that list, starting with one-note guys Barry Melrose and Mark Messier. Enough. Put AJ + Ferraro + Weekes + Callahan together with a really good studio host (I assume either Cohn or Buccigross from that list), and it'd be great. I prefer the analysts to be insightful, not smarmy. On that note, Greg Wyshinski suuuucks.
I completely agree with your sentiments. And Wysh is an idiot.

scott99

May 13, 2005
That’s funny, I think he’s an EXCELLENT hockey analyst. When he was the Isle’s studio guy a few years ago, I was wishing they’d switch it up and make Butch the studio guy (which he’s very good at), and make Rick the color commentator with Howie/Brendan.

joekono

Apr 29, 2016
Roxbury,New Jersey
Living the dream Ricky boy is. First, helped(I blame Milbury), set our franchise back 10 years, gets paid to have been one of the worst first round draft picks ever. Then, I'll give him this, has the balls to show his face after this:
DefiniteUnlawfulIndianskimmer-max-1mb.gif
Not a fan at all.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
yeah. It’s like he tries too hard.
The multiple different pad colors, mask paintings, etc. There was always something else going on with him that took away from him just advancing his game as a goalie.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Living the dream Ricky boy is. First, helped(I blame Milbury), set our franchise back 10 years, gets paid to have been one of the worst first round draft picks ever.

While he wasn’t 1OA material, the talent was there. He just wasn’t able to stay healthy. His career essentially ended right when goalies hit their prime (mid-late 20’s).The dude bled blue and orange, which was a rarity for many years

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
While he wasn’t 1OA material, the talent was there. He just wasn’t able to stay healthy. His career essentially ended right when goalies hit their prime (mid-late 20’s).The dude bled blue and orange, which was a rarity for many years
He was talented, seemed borderline uncoachable and friends with the owner - not a great path to success. His ASG injury set him back no doubt, but he also came back jacked like a lot of others athletes during that time…hmmm…why does a goalie need to be jacked like that? He doesn’t. That’s the issue with him - it’s always something beyond the core piece of his role.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
He was talented, seemed borderline uncoachable and friends with the owner - not a great path to success. His ASG injury set him back no doubt, but he also came back jacked like a lot of others athletes during that time…hmmm…why does a goalie need to be jacked like that? He doesn’t. That’s the issue with him - it’s always something beyond the core piece of his role.
Borderline uncoachable? DP was the dictionary definition of uncoachable. He lost his flexibility by being an idiot.

Reactions: beach

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Living the dream Ricky boy is. First, helped(I blame Milbury), set our franchise back 10 years, gets paid to have been one of the worst first round draft picks ever. Then, I'll give him this, has the balls to show his face after this:
DefiniteUnlawfulIndianskimmer-max-1mb.gif
Not a fan at all.

Milbury did not sign DP to that contract. DP was a really good goaltender for us and honestly at the time it was signed the contract wasn't terrible. Locking up a franchise goaltender (which he was before all of his injuries) for a $4.5million cap hit isn't horrendous. The real problem was DP's body breaking down whicg honestly nobody could have predicted.

Reactions: Costigan77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad