Rumor: Rick Dhaliwal- " Had a source tell me I'd be shocked if Holtby was a Canuck by next week"

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Most Canucks fans will tell you that they would be ecstatic to get this guy off of our team. He had a 3-4 game stretch 3/4 of the way thru the year where you thought ok maybe he can play however he reverted back to form immediately after and other than that was generally not good at all. I get the team D was largely a tire fire however he certainly wasn't helping........

Hearing that his name still has cache around the league is genuinely perplexing to me - the guy hasn't been good for several years now..........I personally view him as a negative asset so anything of value that we could get for him would be a HUGE bonus.

And this talk about Seattle taking a glut of goalies then flipping them - I don't get that either - like what has more value? A 4/5 D man or a back up goalie? That should be obvious to everyone.

At this point I will be thrilled if Seattle takes Holtby. I'm praying that they do and Benning has a deal in place with them to acquire another piece to help fill out our roster. Then the Canucks Larsson in F/A. (would not be surprised to see Schmidt heading to Seattle as part of a package).

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
What are you, 5? "I know you are but what am I?" :laugh:

Holtby is trash, and the used car salesman approach Canucks fans are taking in here with him is hilarious.
The Pens could still use him. Best goalie in the Pens organization is Hextall :laugh:

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
You can get shitty goaltending for league minimum if you want though.

This isn't solely because of what Holtby did in Vancouver, he's been declining for years at this point. The only point in the last 4 years when he looked like his old self was the 2018 playoffs. I don't see what makes him any different than someone like Matt Murray at this point, who's also shot.
1yr x $4.3
3yrs x $6.25

Good call, no difference.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I could see a scenario where Holtby is bought out and signs a cheap 1 year deal being the backup for the Bolts or Avs. The backup spot is completely open behind Vasilevskiy. Holtby worked well with Grubauer when they were teammates. While the Canucks have one of the better goalie coaches, it just seemed Holtby never was a good fit signing with the Canucks.

Reactions: JenniferH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad