Richard Bachman

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Too small a sample to rely on him as either starter or back up but we somehow have to keep this guy in our organization and give him a chance to prove himself.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Too small a sample to rely on him as either starter or back up but we somehow have to keep this guy in our organization and give him a chance to prove himself.

We can't play him in Bakersfield. Straight up has to be Brossoit/Laurikainen (the latter because his contract has an out-clause if he's demoted to the ECHL).

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Goalies develop at a strange pace, and can emerge as NHL options late in life. Bachman was lights out for OKC, how in the hell you could let an asset like that walk away just to throw some prospects in his place puzzles me. I would sign him to a 1 way contract and pass Scrivens through waivers or trade him.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Goalies develop at a strange pace, and can emerge as NHL options late in life. Bachman was lights out for OKC, how in the hell you could let an asset like that walk away just to throw some prospects in his place puzzles me. I would sign him to a 1 way contract and pass Scrivens through waivers or trade him.

I agree, bottom line goaltending has to be a numbers game a bit. Backman had great numbers this year. You got to reward some one who has done what he has. Scrivens has done f all... let him go.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I hadn't seen that with Eetu's contract - linky?

I suppose I never saw confirmation about it, but....

Bob was the guy who "broke" this signing before it happened. He was basically told what was up. I'm gonna assume it was part of the contract.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I agree, bottom line goaltending has to be a numbers game a bit. Backman had great numbers this year. You got to reward some one who has done what he has. Scrivens has done f all... let him go.

The problem is Scrivens hasn't done "**** all". He's about the same age as Bachman with some success, admittedly not last season, in the NHL. His AHL numbers are very similar.

If you think a fresh look would be better, that's fine, but if you put a gun to my head and asked me which guy is more likely to be a competent back-up, I'm going with the guy who has actually been a competent back-up.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006

I'd say Bachman should be given the 1b and the Oilers should acquire something to replace Scrivens for sure.

I'm not sure what McLellan thinks of Niemi but I wouldn't be surprised to see him signed by the Oilers for a reasonable amount. Also McClellan ran with a 1a 1b system in SJ with Stalock and Niemi and from what Niemi had to say he was accepting of it.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The problem is Scrivens hasn't done "**** all". He's about the same age as Bachman with some success, admittedly not last season, in the NHL. His AHL numbers are very similar.

If you think a fresh look would be better, that's fine, but if you put a gun to my head and asked me which guy is more likely to be a competent back-up, I'm going with the guy who has actually been a competent back-up.

Fair enough, but there are also the cap hits. Bachman at half the price. I give it to Bachman. Also goaltending is about what have you done for me lately. Bachman > Scrivy in that department.

moneygoalie31

Jul 14, 2007
Im fine with Bachman as an inexpensive back up.

How does everyone feel about something around Scrivens for Mike Smith

Smith(no salary retention),Samuelson and Gromley for Scrivens,Shultz and 16
was gonna say Leon but I hate the idea of trading him. Scrivens and Nikitan for Smith and Gromley or Murphy

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

was gonna say Leon but I hate the idea of trading him. Scrivens and Nikitan for Smith and Gromley or Murphy

done, Smith is a great goalie. Rough year for the yotes, but, really who didn't have a rough year for the yotes?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

I'm not sure there's a hockey player in the world I want less than Mike Smith.

Seriously, dress Replacement as our starting goalie before we bring the worst "starting" goaltender with the leagues worst contract here.

done, Smith is a great goalie. Rough year for the yotes, but, really who didn't have a rough year for the yotes?

Rough three years with the Yotes. Rough five of the last six years.

He's basically the Devan Dubnyk cautionary tale. Sign a goalie to an expensive contract after one hot run of games at your own peril.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I suppose I never saw confirmation about it, but....

Bob was the guy who "broke" this signing before it happened. He was basically told what was up. I'm gonna assume it was part of the contract.

Honestly I prefer him to go back to Europe if this is the case. Do we really want to split time in the AHL or give one guy the ball and run? I also wonder if Brossoit becomes a causality if Eetu is the real deal.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I'd prefer to use that to unload Nikitin/Purcell

This is why I prefer to buyout Nikitin, who has a low cap penalty relative to his cap hit.

Though so would Scrivens.

Honestly I prefer him to go back to Europe if this is the case. Do we really want to split time in the AHL or give one guy the ball and run? I also wonder if Brossoit becomes a causality if Eetu is the real deal.

The other big problem with retaining Bachman for Bakersfield is that he's better than Brossoit, but both are starter quality and he's a worse prospect.

Don't you kind of want 50+ starts for Brossoit next year?

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011

That's a great idea. Scrivens for Smith, or another goalie who might need a fresh start. Lehtonen also comes to mind. Steve Mason? Khudobin?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Why not a backup?

That's like saying Talbot had too small a sample to be a backup for NYR and we have people here clamoring for him to be starter. Likewise with Jones.

Bachman is ideal for backup IMO and if he outshines everyone else, even better.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
That's a great idea. Scrivens for Smith, or another goalie who might need a fresh start. Lehtonen also comes to mind. Steve Mason? Khudobin?

I could be wrong, but hasn't Mason turned things around in Philly? I don't think he or they are looking for a fresh start right now.

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
I could be wrong, but hasn't Mason turned things around in Philly? I don't think he or they are looking for a fresh start right now.

A couple of articles talked about a falling out between Mason and the team. He may want out.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

That's the positive about having two solid prospects in the pipeline.

Bring in a starter on a 2-3 year deal. That gives Brossoit and Eetu the chance to compete for the starters job without rushing either of them.

With the relatively short time we need an established starter a trade is probably the better option.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That's the positive about having two solid prospects in the pipeline.

Bring in a starter on a 2-3 year deal. That gives Brossoit and Eetu the chance to compete for the starters job without rushing either of them.

With the relatively short time we need an established starter a trade is probably the better option.

The problem is we already gave Brossoit 50+ games last year. In order to challenge him don't you want to give him more? How much more can you give him if Eetu is any good?

Stat Guy

Aug 30, 2014
I'd say Bachman should be given the 1b and the Oilers should acquire something to replace Scrivens for sure.

I'm not sure what McLellan thinks of Niemi but I wouldn't be surprised to see him signed by the Oilers for a reasonable amount. Also McClellan ran with a 1a 1b system in SJ with Stalock and Niemi and from what Niemi had to say he was accepting of it.

I am at a loss for words. Given the 1b? As in expecting him to start 40 games?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The problem is we already gave Brossoit 50+ games last year. In order to challenge him don't you want to give him more? How much more can you give him if Eetu is any good?

It's different for a goalie's psyche. I think Brossoit needs another year in the AHL as 'the guy'. He was stress free in the sense that if he faltered he knew he had a great AHL goalie backing him up in Bachman. Having a Finnish rookie with 0 pro North American games is different.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad