Richard Bachman

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I may be totally out to lunch here, but I'd honestly look at moving Scrivens out this summer and having Bachman be our backup assuming we can find a legit starter.

He can hold his own in the NHL, and had a very good year in the AHL. He was absolutely ridiculous in the playoffs, putting up a .950 SV%.

He's the same age as guys like Jones, Talbot, and Lack.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Give him a chance in camp at least imo. He's been awfully soft when we've called on him earlier - but then again a prime Patrick Roy couldn't have done much with the D we've had on the Oil over the last few years.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Give him a chance in camp at least imo. He's been awfully soft when we've called on him earlier - but then again a prime Patrick Roy couldn't have done much with the D we've had on the Oil over the last few years.

Bachman posted .916 and .911 svs %'s when called upon in spot duty the last two years. Not world beating but definitely serviceable, and was starting over Scrivens until his brother passed and his wife had their baby.

The .911 this year in 6 games was night and day better than Scrivvy or Fasth, albeit a small sample but the same defence they had to work with.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I'd be fine with him as a backup if we find a legitimate proven starter like Anderson who we can be sure can handle 60+ games.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I really don't see him as a legitimate NHL goalie. I'd take Scrivens over him every day of the week.

Remember how good JFJ looked in the AHL?

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
I really don't see him as a legitimate NHL goalie. I'd take Scrivens over him every day of the week.

Remember how good JFJ looked in the AHL?

I think he is NHL quality for sure, he has good movement and reads the play well, makes big saves - his main knock is his size I would say. If he is good in the locker room, then he would probably be a decent backup.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think he is NHL quality for sure, he has good movement and reads the play well, makes big saves - his main knock is his size I would say. If he is good in the locker room, then he would probably be a decent backup.

You can't get me to buy into having a tiny goalie. Back 10-20 years ago small guys could survive playing the stand-up style, but nowadays hardly anyone gets away with playing that style of hockey.

Tiny goalies generally find it impossible in the NHL because they can't deal with looking past all of the traffic in front of the net. If we had a Chara and a Pronger I don't think it would be a huge problem, but that's hardly the case.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know the guy really hasn't proven anything. 40 NHL games in 5 seasons or so.

He's the type of guy you'd sign with the intentions of him being your #3, but if you are signing him in hopes of being your #2 you better have a damn good starter on a damn good team first. With Brossoit and Laurikanien I just don't know that there is room to bring Bachman back into the fold.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Scrivens looked like he lost something last season... confidence/ability and was exposed when actually being put into the starter role instead of just being a backup. Flopping like a fish... didn't look solid and reliable in net like he did the year before.

If Scrivens was just depended on for 20-30 games again with a solid starter brought in then I think Scrivens might regain some of that confidence... enough to be a decent backup at least.

Right now I'd prefer Bachman over Scrivens in the backup role because Bachman has looked better recently and hasn't been drained of confidence/resiliency like Scrivens has... but Scrivens is signed for another year at 2+ million and unless they dump him, he'll likely be used as the backup.

I don't even know if Bachman is in the org next year with the Oilers... he may go elsewhere... maybe even overseas to try and get some bigger money while he still can.

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
Bachman has fantastic numbers. If he was in any other organization I'd have him on the shortlist of goalies to trade for.

I agree with OP. He'd be a great back up to a legit starter.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Yeah lets just 'move out' scrivens, purcell, nikitin. No one is going to take these guys with their contracts. I would have no problem having Bachman instead of Scrivens as a back up.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Buffalo or Arizona might, I strongly suspect they'll be tanking hard for Mathews.

Not so sure, myself... they got burned (particularly Arizona) this year by tanking. And next year is only going to be more random.

To the topic: I would be perfectly fine with Bachman as backup if we didn't have Scrivs. Hell, if we don't manage to get a better goalie (gulp), he's probably still a decent option for backup... lol.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Under MacT we would likely see Scrivens + Bachman as the 1-2 combo next season after he struck out on better options in free agency this summer.

Now though under Chiarelli (and with the "McDavid effect")... I expect a true starter to be brought in. The team absolutely needs a goalie that has shown they can play 55+ without wilting under the pressure.

No more backups that look good on decent defensive teams... and then finding out they can't cope on a "questionable" team like the Oilers under a heavier workload.

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
Nah....

He is great guy to have in the AHL if you don't have a 22yr old prospect who can be the 3rd stringer.

We now have that in Brossoit. Maybe even 2 with our new guy who I won't even attempt to spell.

Bachman won't even get offered an AHL deal from us. He will from another team though who doesn't have our "depth" (term used loosely, as we do have AHL goalie depth.)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Bachman was better than Scrivens last season, but that might be something about Scrivens being shell shocked under Eakins for so long.

Ultimately, I don't think we can find anyone who will take on Scrivens' deal so we might as well just keep him as back up. He has some potential to do well with a reduced work load. If someone would take him, I absolutely would give the back-up gig to Bachman.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Bachman was better than Scrivens last season, but that might be something about Scrivens being shell shocked under Eakins for so long.

Ultimately, I don't think we can find anyone who will take on Scrivens' deal so we might as well just keep him as back up. He has some potential to do well with a reduced work load. If someone would take him, I absolutely would give the back-up gig to Bachman.
We could probably move Scrivens too Buffalo

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I would like to see Scrivens moved and Bachman as the backup. He won the job with his playoff performance IMO. They let Brossiot and the new fin battle it out in the AHL.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
Bachman is the best Oilers goalie. That's why they sent him down when he started to win games near the end of the season. Can't have Bachman win games when you can have Scrivens in net to tank for a draft pick.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Bachman is the best Oilers goalie. That's why they sent him down when he started to win games near the end of the season. Can't have Bachman win games when you can have Scrivens in net to tank for a draft pick.

His brother died and his wife gave birth.

The Oilers weren't trying to lose, they just didn't know how to win.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Deserves a shot at an NHL spot for sure. Hopefully someone signs him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad