Prospect Info: Rhett Pitlick (2019, #131)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I remember his development camp the year he was drafted. He really stood out for his speed.

Will be interesting to see what he can do if he's signed. Could be a late bloomer like Evans.

I haven't seen him yet this year but the speed and acceleration are elite. I never really liked his game, too soft and for that speed he doesn't move his feet enough but he's putting up some numbers this year so it will be interesting to see what happens. But with his speed I could see how he could get NHL time down the road if he can put up some points here and there.

Reactions: Don D

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
is pitlick a legit prospect?

Pitlick is the weirdest situation. We drafted him in 2019, but due to Covid he played an extra year in USHL. So 2 years in USHL post-draft & now in his 3rd season in NCAA. He's already D+5, so I would say no. He can go back for his 4th NCAA year. We have until 2025 to sign him. He'll be D+6 by then & already 24.

He & Arvid Henrikson are real outliers. It's usually only Russians who get their rights retained that long.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
is pitlick a legit prospect?

Not sure he's legit. However, I wouldn't be opposed to signing him to an AHL/ECHL deal and see if he works his way into earning an NHL contract at some point. He will be 23 in February.

The only thing I'd describe as legit about him is his speed. He's Byron-like in that department. He's a good prospect, but not one I would waste an NHL contract on right away.

So far in the NCAA, he's put up 61 pts in 88 games. Not bad for a player taken in the 5th round.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Not sure he's legit. However, I wouldn't be opposed to signing him to an AHL/ECHL deal and see if he works his way into earning an NHL contract at some point. He will be 23 in February.

The only thing I'd describe as legit about him is his speed. He's Byron-like in that department. He's a good prospect, but not one I would waste an NHL contract on right away.

So far in the NCAA, he's put up 61 pts in 88 games. Not bad for a player taken in the 5th round.

Pitlick is the weirdest situation. We drafted him in 2019, but due to Covid he played an extra year in USHL. So 2 years in USHL post-draft & now in his 3rd season in NCAA. He's already D+5, so I would say no. He can go back for his 4th NCAA year. We have until 2025 to sign him. He'll be D+6 by then & already 24.

He & Arvid Henrikson are real outliers. It's usually only Russians who get their rights retained that long.

Let's hope he's got a Byron esque trajectory... And we hold on to him in the AHL long enough for him to put it all together.

He's 23 this winter, if he goes back another year & we sign him after that he'd be starting in AHL at 24/25... Then has 2 yrs of waiver eligibility, giving us till his 26/27 yr old season to see what he can get to... Byron's break out year was at 27 :naughty:

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think he's showing that he's worth at least an AHL deal. They still hold his rights for another year. So maybe an AHL deal and then see if he earns an ELC. That's if Rhett wants to turn pro.

If he turns pro this year, doesn't that move the rights forward to this summer?

They could also get him an ELC starting this year, which would mean it ends after 24-25, which would limit the risk if you're unsure if he's worth it. Better than signing Waked to a 3 year ELC.

• Wow
Reactions: Tyson and overlords

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
sucks hes 23 already AHL player at best.

Most likely. But I have no problem with that. No shame in having a 5th round pick end up being a full-time AHL'er.

But his elite skating might earn him a call up here and there if he is indeed signed by Montreal instead of an AHL contract (which would be the most likely scenario).

Reactions: mdk

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He's had a positive progression curve, so I'd definitely offer the guy an AHL/ECHL deal. He's at least worth keeping around for a look at the next level, for the odd chance that his game really translates super well. It probably won't, but stranger things have happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad