Salary Cap: RFA Hertl's Contract $$$?

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I know the opening post is old, but I think the Beleskey comp is terrible. I believe he was a UFA last offseason, and he was coming off of a career year. I don't think there's any scenario where Hertl gets a five year deal... even if the cap hit isn't that large.

I'm not good at this contract stuff, so I won't bother guessing. But, I'd be happy with a bridge deal worth about $7M total over two years.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
This would be my guess as well. 2 years x $3.5 million bridge deal.

You guys are likely right about the bridge deal, but in that case, I'll anticipate DW giving a 2-year deal that requires a 1st round pick as compensation. So, if it is a short contract that keeps Hertl as a RFA next time, I'm anticipating $4.25M.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You guys are likely right about the bridge deal, but in that case, I'll anticipate DW giving a 2-year deal that requires a 1st round pick as compensation. So, if it is a short contract that keeps Hertl as a RFA next time, I'm anticipating $4.25M.

What are you even talking about? If he signs Hertl, RFA compensation is irrelevant. RFA compensation is only if another team gets Hertl to sign an offer sheet and it's based on that signed sheet's terms.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I would love to lock him up at $4.5x8, but DW doesn't really do long contracts. I'll guess $3.5 x 2 years.

Hertl has 4 more RFA years, so I prefer either a 2 year bridge or a 6+ year contract. My best guess is along the line's of Jux's.

I expect a 2 year bridge @ 3.75M
I want a 6 year @ 4.5M
I also think an 8 year @ 5.0 M would be just fine.

Even if we did the last one at 5.0 M long term, we would be OK cap wise next year without any trades. (Assuming whatever back-up we find is 3.0 M or less or that the cap itself raises ABOVE 72M.) Personally, if we could lock Hertl into an 8 x 5.0 long term, I'd try to move Wingels or Marleau (if he really does want to be traded) in the off-season for futures to free up some capspace.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Hertl has 4 more RFA years, so I prefer either a 2 year bridge or a 6+ year contract. My best guess is along the line's of Jux's.

I expect a 2 year bridge @ 3.75M
I want a 6 year @ 4.5M
I also think an 8 year @ 5.0 M would be just fine.

Even if we did the last one at 5.0 M long term, we would be OK cap wise next year without any trades. (Assuming whatever back-up we find is 3.0 M or less or that the cap itself raises ABOVE 72M.) Personally, if we could lock Hertl into an 8 x 5.0 long term, I'd try to move Wingels or Marleau (if he really does want to be traded) in the off-season for futures to free up some capspace.

I cant see his agent wanting anything other than the bridge. 8 years @ 5mil undervalues him, assuming he continues doing what he is doing as of now. The 6 year at 4.5 might be doable but again, seems risky on his part. I wouldnt be shocked to see the bridge at 4 even.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I cant see his agent wanting anything other than the bridge. 8 years @ 5mil undervalues him, assuming he continues doing what he is doing as of now. The 6 year at 4.5 might be doable but again, seems risky on his part. I wouldnt be shocked to see the bridge at 4 even.

One thing Hertl and his agent may consider is his injury histor on a longer term deal. I personally wouldn't do it, but at the same time, having $20M* in the bank is one hell of a nest egg.

After taxes/agent fees/ect it's probably more like 8-10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad