Revisiting Shea Weber for PK Subban.

Weber or Subban

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Two puzzles. Two headache. Two overrated players. Two out of their prime. Two expired players. Two cap space MVP. Two has been. Two names.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Having had the chance to watch both play extensively, I much rather have Subban.

If he doesn’t have a down year this season, this poll is completely lopsided.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Never really found either all that great tbh. Still think it's a clear win for the Predators as they went to the finals the year the deal was made. That kind of run really creates a bank of investment in a team's fanbase.

Peter Puck

Sep 10, 2005
Never really found either all that great tbh. Still think it's a clear win for the Predators as they went to the finals the year the deal was made. That kind of run really creates a bank of investment in a team's fanbase.
I think keeping Weber and winning the cup that year would have created a bigger bank. That alone makes the trade a clear loss for Nahville.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Weber continues to play well. Hard to term it a win for MTL just based on age but, maybe its not quite as bad as originally though.

If Jim Benning had his way it would've been PLD to MTL for Subban. I'm sure MTL would've loved that.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Originally hated the trade and still not a good trade based on the value of each player, in spite of that Weber has really grown on me.

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Montreal has the better player right now on a lower cap hit. The term of Weber’s contract is irrelevant because it is designed to have him retire earlier due to a lower real dollar payout. However, Nashville has had more team success with Subban. I prefer Weber because I thinks he’s the perfect captain to lead and mentor Montreal’s young players but it’s a wash. Subban really clashed with management and the players. I like Weber but wish he was younger. Still a great player nonetheless.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Montreal has the better player right now on a lower cap hit. The term of Weber’s contract is irrelevant because it is designed to have him retire earlier due to a lower real dollar payout. However, Nashville has had more team success with Subban. I prefer Weber because I thinks he’s the perfect captain to lead and mentor Montreal’s young players but it’s a wash. Subban really clashed with management and the players. I like Weber but wish he was younger. Still a great player nonetheless.

That's bullshit.

Reactions: stopclickbait

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head

Pleky said that he sent a message to wish him good luck, with his new team, so that's bullshit.

Pacioretty said that Subban plays hockey with his kids.

P.K. Subban was at Andrei Markov's wedding, and now we're crying

Galchenyuk on Subban. BarDown: Alex Galchenyuk shares his feelings about the PK Subban trade

Weise on Subban.

Price on Subban. Carey Price Talks Draft Night, P.K. Subban and More | Photographic Memories

Gally was shocked in the interview he gave when Subban was traded, but something changed between them, I can give you that one.

And for your last video... He swore? OMG...he's so violent... Never happened in any locker room.

The supposed problems with his teammates and locker room cancer are all bullshit.

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Pleky said that he sent a message to wish him good luck, with his new team, so that's bull****.

Pacioretty said that Subban plays hockey with his kids.

P.K. Subban was at Andrei Markov's wedding, and now we're crying

Galchenyuk on Subban. BarDown: Alex Galchenyuk shares his feelings about the PK Subban trade

Weise on Subban.

Price on Subban. Carey Price Talks Draft Night, P.K. Subban and More | Photographic Memories

Gally was shocked in the interview he gave when Subban was traded, but something changed between them, I can give you that one.

And for your last video... He swore? OMG...he's so violent... Never happened in any locker room.

The supposed problems with his teammates and locker room cancer are all bull****.

Gotta agree with all of this if anyone is a problem its Drouin but you will never hear a word about him from @Kotkaniemi15

Mortimer

Dec 27, 2018
Revisiting this topic 5 years later is telling. Yes, Subban was a charismatic goal scoring defenseman, marketable on and off the ice (he did a great deal in Montreal, giving time and money to Sainte-Justine, a children's hospital). He reached the finals before Weber with Nashville and earned a Norris in 2013. At this point, it seemed that the Preds had won that deal, hands down.

But, while Subban's defensive shortcomings were exposed in New Jersey, a battered Weber still managed decent seasons with the Habs. And, out of the two, I think Weber wins this in the long run, especially for the intangibles that he brought to the team, such as his skills as a leader and mentor.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
As a trade it's about as even as you can get.

Didn't we also flip Subban into picks/prospects and end up with Afanasyev out of the deal? He's not looking as promising as he once was, but should be a decent NHL player for a while.

Montreal traded Weber for Dadonov, then traded Dadonov with retention for Gurianov and then chose not to tender Gurianov. Preds signed Gurianov and traded him for Wade Allison.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Didn't we also flip Subban into picks/prospects and end up with Afanasyev out of the deal? He's not looking as promising as he once was, but should be a decent NHL player for a while.

Montreal traded Weber for Dadonov, then traded Dadonov with retention for Gurianov and then chose not to tender Gurianov. Preds signed Gurianov and traded him for Wade Allison.
Afanasyev, Cambell, Wilsby and Jesse Kiiskinen are the assets we have left from the Subban trade.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
In the end it was a win-win, but I think it really worked out better for MTL in a sense b/c Weber played better+longer for them than Subban did for Nashville. (Surprisingly given the age difference)

Luckily Nashville did move Subban before the wheels fell off & his contract became deadweight.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
In the end it was a win-win, but I think it really worked out better for MTL in a sense b/c Weber played better+longer for them than Subban did for Nashville. (Surprisingly given the age difference)

Luckily Nashville did move Subban before the wheels fell off & his contract became deadweight.

Wasn't Subban a Norris nominee one year with Nashville? I remember Weber's years in Montreal as an injured mess.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Nashville had a few fantastic years there with Subban with legitimate chances at the cup, I think they would do this trade again with hindsight looking at how strong those Nashville teams were

Reactions: Miller Time

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Weber's value to Montreal ended up being for his leadership. Looking at it today, there may not be assets left, but he surely had an impact on a young Nick Suzuki that is today our team's leader.

Reactions: HabsQC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad