Revisiting Shea Weber for PK Subban.

Weber or Subban

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I think it's a wash at this point. Both have their injury concerns, Weber's contract is cheaper but longer. I think Weber looked better then Subban last season, but it could easily change the other way after this season.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Very happy with Subban over Weber in Years 1 and 2. Lots of fun videos and good PR from him too, so it was fun off ice as well as on the ice.

Year 3... well, we still don't know what happened there. Disastrous season for Subban. We just hope that whatever happened to him isn't something chronic or degenerative. If I knew he'd be healthy for 2019-20, I'd easily take Subban again. He looked good, finally, in April at least, so that's some hope. But the fact nobody is saying anything about it makes me suspicious.

End of the day, I guess I'd rather have a broken down Subban for 3 years than a broken down Weber for 7 years. At least Subban brings some fun off the ice. :(

Reactions: Wats

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Health + contract term still makes Weber's contract one of the worst in the league. Really doesn't matter if he's a better D-man than Subban at the moment.

Edit: If it's a magical world where we're looking at this year in a vacuum though I'd take Weber.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Weber will decimate Nashville's salary cap if he retires before the end of his contract, I guess they'll pay a good ransom to have him back and put him on LTIR

Peter Puck

Sep 10, 2005
I have changed my mind about this deal. It has really worked out well for the Habs. Plus Nashville will have a messy cap problem if Weber declines and decides to retire. Weber's contract has the potential to be really bad for the Predators in a few years.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Worked out pretty poorly for both teams IMO

Did it though? With Subban we were two games away from winning the cup with Colton Sissons and Freddy Gaudreau as our top 2 centermen, we won the Presidents' trophy and we've won our division.

Weber will decimate Nashville's salary cap if he retires before the end of his contract, I guess they'll pay a good ransom to have him back and put him on LTIR

I doubt that we'll end up paying that much if he does retire early.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Does anyone actually believe the NHL is going to make the Preds take a 24 million cap hit? I just don't see that happening.

The rule is so dumb to begin with.
Yeah, there's no way they can enforce that... well, they CAN, technically, bet there's no way they would because then you'd basically have to fold up the team. Poile is very careful with his payroll, I don't believe he would have handed another team the launch codes to destroy his team unless he fully believed there was no actual risk. He must have some assurances tucked away in his back pocket that they'd be able to avoid having the recapture penalty ever be enforced.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Worked out pretty poorly for both teams IMO
It sure doesn't seem that way. Every Habs fan I read here seems happy. So does every Preds fan. Habs fans seem to have got what they wanted - a leader who fits the more reserved personality of their team and management better. Preds got what we wanted too... a more dynamic player who brought a lot of enthusiasm and was a big part of our team making a trip to the finals and win a President's Trophy while being a Norris finalist. It could have worked out EVEN BETTER if the players had both been healthier. But it still worked out.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
The question is worded in a way that it's encouraging people to pick Weber and to inaccurately suggest that the Habs did okay in the trade.

I voted Weber in the poll, because it's only asking about next season ignoring the years later in the contract where I have no faith that Weber will be a great and/or healthy player, and it's asking me who I would take next season, not who I think will be the better player next season. I truly want nothing to do with Subban's personality on my team (although it's the Sens so things couldn't really get any worse, can they?) as he really seems to wear on his teammates.

So it's Weber to answer your question, but Habs still got smoked in that trade.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Subban any day of the week. First two years of the trade pretty much speak for themselves with the Habs fizzling out while the Preds made deep playoff runs. This year it was closer on the ice with both guys struggling through some injuries. For the first two months after Weber returned he was incredible and looked like he found the fountain of youth, but the last 6-8 weeks or so he looked very much like a guy coming off consecutive knee and foot surgeries and missing a year in the last 2 months of the season. End of the day I'm going to bet on the 30 year old having a bounceback year over the 34 year old.

Really not sure where the idea Weber's game hasn't declined is coming from either, it's just patently false. I wonder if it's from Habs fans not watching Weber much in Nashville but Weber has clearly declined from his prime. He was never a speedster in his prime but going from average speed to below average speed makes a big difference when his bread and butter was allowing opposing forwards to "win" a puck battle for a split second and then vaporizing them. Now they just win the race to the puck cleanly if he doesn't break up a play at the blue line (which to be fair he's still unbelievably good at).

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
3 season since the trade. and Weber has been better 2/3 out of those years. And this suppose to be Subban prime years...

The trade was a toss up, and IMO it still is, the only reason it was "lopsided" was due to Mtl fans being emotional about the trade, leading to other fan bases taking them at face value on how bad the trade was.

Subban in his time in Nashville never lead the team in any TOI/G ESTOI/G PK/TOI... Weber has played better while facing those matches up as the cleary number Dmen on his team.

And now Preds are looking to move Subban....

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
The Habs won the trade. The Preds are treating PK like a cap dump and they’re trying to trade him already. Weber outplayed him this year and is a much better leader. PK is toxic. I wouldn’t have him back in MTL.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I have changed my mind about this deal. It has really worked out well for the Habs. Plus Nashville will have a messy cap problem if Weber declines and decides to retire. Weber's contract has the potential to be really bad for the Predators in a few years.
It's actually great trading leverage for Montreal in the future. Near the end of Weber's contract, Montreal could threaten Nashville with demoting Weber to the ECHL where he would presumably retire instead and have Nashville incur a massive cap penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad