Votes: 8 17.8%
  • No - it's Miller time!

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
If Zucker stays, he knows already what is contract would look like based on the Rakell and Rust deals. A few months ago people wanted him traded. Keep it between the telephone poles people.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Tough call, I've loved his game this year and aside from Rakell has pretty much been 1B the best winger all year, at the same time would like to save some money.

tnnr

Feb 19, 2023
Think they let him go and move Granlund up to 2LW or make another play for JT Miller. Could see them being interested in a guy like Tyler Bertuzzi to fill the Zucker role since he's younger.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Think they let him go and move Granlund up to 2LW or make another play for JT Miller. Could see them being interested in a guy like Tyler Bertuzzi to fill the Zucker role since he's younger.
I'm against Bertuzzi as a Zucker replacement. If we're ditching Zuck because of injury concerns then he's no better. He's missed 88 games the last 3 years.
And this year only 4 goals in 31 games. Little bit concerning. There'd be question marks about chemistry with Malkin, when we already know Zuck has figured that out.

Miller seems like the closest thing to a slam dunk to significantly improve our Forward group. He's durable, a PP monster, a Center, a good finisher and a play driver.
He shoots 14.2% for the career. Hasn't been below 12% in 9 seasons. That would be a very welcome ability on our flaccid finishing team the last 2 years.
Give him some cheap wingers in Nylander and Puustinen to save cap space and you got a solid 3rd line all year that gets easy matchups.

We would make the playoffs for sure if we did this imo, and would be a very tough out. And when Malkin and Crosby are hurt he moves up seamlessly.

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
Based on the title of this thread, I think I should weigh-in. I fn love Zucker. Who gives a shit if he falls off a cliff, this team is toast in 2 years anyway.

Reactions: Flying Dego

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I swear you guys deliberately try and give me headaches.... :facepalm:

Anyways. I am all for bringing Zucker back, to a certain point. Id start with a smaller amount over more years 4mil and 5 years. I think you could possibly get him under 5mil for a 5 year length. If he wants more up front than the years come down to 2-3. Malkin and him have found their chemistry. Rak or Granlund on the other side make for a great 2nd line. Weve been screaming for a heart and soul guy on this team for awhile, lets not toss the one we got without trying to keep him.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
It would be a lot easier to let Zucker walk if you could have any faith that the essential qualities he has been bringing would be replaced, or that we had them internally. Every line should have a Zucker style player and basically we otherwise only have the unproven DOC who plays with some speed/grit and get to the net combo.

As such I would definitely try to bring him back, but there is a pain point as regards the cap-hit obviously.

Reactions: Peat

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
They should re-sign him if the price is reasonable, unless there is a specific plan to replace what he brings. I wish they could find a second one to stick with Sid.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
His lack of durbility and age are two red flags for me. He's performed very well this season absolutely no question about it. There's no hotter goal scorer than Jason Zucker at the moment. That said there were two or three years there where he barely hit the ice. The fact that he's on the latter part of his career has me concerned. If it was a two or three year deal I'd be interested, but I'm pretty sure he could command at least 4 or 5 years. I probably pass on him. Although I can understand wanting to keep him in the fold. But at some point you got to turn the page up in and get younger.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
His final contract year. Do we really want to pay for what's to come, after?
I don't, for all we know he can get injured the second game of the season to miss 47 games. That's the legitimate concern for me. Again I understand he's tremendous hockey all over the ice for us. generates chances gets on the forecheck, hits people finishes off the chances he garners and that Geno sets up for him, but you're paying for him At His Highest Point and I'm just not interested in that. If he would come back and say sign 5 mil for 4 years I consider it. But I'm not going to beyond 4 years and I don't really want to go on much more than 3 years tbh.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I swear you guys deliberately try and give me headaches.... :facepalm:

Anyways. I am all for bringing Zucker back, to a certain point. Id start with a smaller amount over more years 4mil and 5 years. I think you could possibly get him under 5mil for a 5 year length. If he wants more up front than the years come down to 2-3. Malkin and him have found their chemistry. Rak or Granlund on the other side make for a great 2nd line. Weve been screaming for a heart and soul guy on this team for awhile, lets not toss the one we got without trying to keep him.
It's a no Brainer if he takes under 5. My take is if he stays it'll be in the Rust/Rak 5M realm. He makes 5.5 now and is having one of his best seasons all around.

We'll see but no matter how much a player says 'I love it here' that love only carries so far in reality. I don't want him walking unless we have a plan to replace his skillset.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's a no Brainer if he takes under 5. My take is if he stays it'll be in the Rust/Rak 5M realm. He makes 5.5 now and is having one of his best seasons all around.

We'll see but no matter how much a player says 'I love it here' that love only carries so far in reality. I don't want him walking unless we have a plan to replace his skillset.

Yeah give him 5x5 and it takes him to the end of the Rakell and Rust deals and it has him making the same yearly salary as those two. If he wants more than that, let him explore the open market to get that.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Yeah give him 5x5 and it takes him to the end of the Rakell and Rust deals and it has him making the same yearly salary as those two. If he wants more than that, let him explore the open market to get that.
Also I'm pretty sure LW free agents aren't good at all after Meier and he's likely resigned in NJ...

I'm hoping he's cool with 5M. I think that's fair but I guarantee some team will waive 5.5-6M at him. We will see how much he likes Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I posted an offensive meme that said “I bring a sort of silly g**se vibe to the HFBoards that serious g**se don’t really like”
Don’t worry the mod deleted it. If anyone needs me I will be on my sick new Penguins hockey discord. You guys can join idc
We can't have humor while discussing the player who sprays water on opponents and Dan Potash before each game ;)

Anyway my stance is still that we need more of what Zucker brings. But we also need to shake up the top 6.
If Rust waives, move him. Otherwise we need to move Guentzel and trade skill/scoring for speed/size/defense. And an ability to play center.

Trading Guentzel will also remove him from the hierarchy (a stupid thing with this team, but a real thing) allowing us to put Zucker or someone else on the PP and defending at end of game.

Last edited:
Reactions: dogthateats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad