Votes: 18 40.0%
  • No - he's old and we need youts

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • No - it's Miller time!

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters

reino

Jul 20, 2019
Zucker style is very brutal way to play your whole career. At some point he will start playing like Rust and Kunitz and that point he's worth 2m. People will turn on him very fast

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
...also thanks a lot because now I'm gonna have this horrible Mark Morrison song in my head all day due to the thread title.
maxresdefault.jpg

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Being the last team to give out a winger a big contract rarely works well but there's so few players in the NHL who play with speed and grit - and produce - and are available - that I think we'd struggle to replace him.

But then to no small extent, the money's already spent...

Reactions: Gurglesons

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
While I know a long contract to him with his injuries is a bad idea...I just shudder to look at this roster somehow getting softer and more bland.

Ideally we retool this roster and find some younger chippy players. Easier said than done but that's why guys get paid millions to make a roster, eh?

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I’d rather let him walk, try and dump some more salary and wait for a legit difference maker to be available and pounce.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I like Zucker, and he's having a hell of a season, but sometimes it's wise to just let a player move on. The Pens cannot keep giving guys in their thirties multi-year contracts worth a gazillion dollars if they want to stay competitive as the core ages.

Reactions: tnnr and Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I like Zucker, and he's having a hell of a season, but sometimes it's wise to just let a player move on. The Pens cannot keep giving guys in their thirties multi-year contracts worth a gazillion dollars if they want to stay competitive as the core ages.
I think the argument there is for a guy like Dumoulin who has shown a clear decline in performance. If a player is 30 and still providing exactly what we need, I think it's a tad bit safer.

That said, I do agree. The toughest part about re-signing him...is the age. We have GOT to figure out how to get younger.

Reactions: orby

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Zucker was either injured or underperforming for the overwhelming majority of his time here.

Finally putting it together in a contract year at age 31 isn't enough for me to want to commit good money to the guy for the rest of Crosby and Malkin's time here. Particularly since we know what we have isn't good enough.

If it were up to me, I'd also move Rust, Granlund, and Carter in the off-season and try to actually get players who can make a difference for this team.
This is my problem.

If he was posting numbers like this the whole entire time. I'd be like let's do this.

Contract year and he's playing lights out?

If we trade Rust or can dump Carter or get rust at a lower amount then what the free market rate is.

Then yes we can probably sign him. I was down to sign him until we got Granlund.

And again I don't hate Granlund the player. Hate the fact we used a 2nd for overpaid ufa.

Edit: Just to add
Playing too well for us to offer Fair value

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
If the money is going to another McGinn signing or one of the do-nothing goalies in the free agent market this year - then yes...I'd rather have Zuck.

But as the sole voter for Miller in this thread, I'd rather have an 8M Miller over a 5-5.5 mil Zucker. This team is going to truly regret 2 things going forward - and that's not adding a needle-moving player and not addressing the goaltending. Focus is on the now though, plenty of time to argue in the Summer lol

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If the money is going to another McGinn signing or one of the do-nothing goalies in the free agent market this year - then yes...I'd rather have Zuck.

But as the sole voter for Miller in this thread, I'd rather have an 8M Miller over a 5-5.5 mil Zucker. This team is going to truly regret 2 things going forward - and that's not adding a needle-moving player and not addressing the goaltending. Focus is on the now though, plenty of time to argue in the Summer lol
I would also prefer Miller. Size, proven scoring, and positional versatility all matter.

This team does need another needle-mover.

Reactions: mpp9

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

Eh I wanted Miller to. I wanted to shoot for the moon. Give our guys a good last chance.

Tampa Bay is going after a cup while we are going to a first round exit.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What Zucker is doing right now isn’t unsustainable, it’s just how good he is when he’s healthy. He has 42 points in 62 games this year, which is almost identical to his production in the year he was traded to the Penguins (41 points in 61 games). He just needs to stay healthy.

The only reason you don’t keep him is if you’re scared of his injury issues resurfacing. Otherwise you keep him

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
41 points in 61 games with how he has been playing kind of tells you how meh the rest of his season was. Plus he wasn’t very good when he had nagging injuries. I feel like we are going to keep him, but I don’t really want to.

Reactions: vodeni

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
41 points in 61 games with how he has been playing kind of tells you how meh the rest of his season was.
It tells you he was on PP2 all year and doesn't get EN situations.
He could be at ~50 right now, with his sights set on 60.
There's 16 games left.

1678740346572.png

21 5v5 goals at this point in the season is pretty huge, given his role.

1678740530769.png

9th best in the league.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It tells you he was on PP2 all year and doesn't get EN situations.
He could be at ~50 right now, with his sights set on 60.
There's 16 games left.

View attachment 668443
21 5v5 goals at this point in the season is pretty huge, given his role.

View attachment 668445
9th best in the league.
I don't understand how smart fans don't account for EN time (or lack thereof) and PP time (or lack thereof) in assessing a player's point production.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That is funny, wrt Rust I went from "Hey, that's pretty cool, didn't see that coming!" to "I wonder who he'd waive his NMC for?" in like no time. I figure I'll be plenty sick of him by 2028 if I am still alive.

I don't understand the hatred towards Rust honestly.

I hate him with GCR. I hate him on powerplay 1.

I think he's perfectly fine as a middle 6 guy getting paid for 5 mil.

Reactions: Tender Rip

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad