Remembering Burke and the 2012 draft

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Burke was laughed off the boards when he said he had Rielly ranked #1. Now, with all of Yak, Murray (can't stay healthy, looks like a #4 D when healthy), Galchenyuk (Still looks like a #3 C), and Reinhart (in bust territory) failing, Rielly may actually be that player.

The counter arguments so far have been forsberg and Trouba. Forssy had a strong first half of the season last year, but has come back to earth this year with 2 goals in 19 games. He looks like he will be a great piece in any teams top 6, but not a star.

Trouba has also fallen since his rookie year. Go to the jets board, and see how bad he's been. A lot of them are at their ends with him, as he looks like a #4 more than an elite #1.

Now we come to Rielly, who IMO is the best player at this moment with the most potential still from that draft. I say, Thank you Burke! :handclap:

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
The 2012 draft, even at the time, was a huge crapshoot. So many top picks got hurt and was a very, very odd draft.

Jamesbay

Oct 19, 2014
The 2012 draft, even at the time, was a huge crapshoot. So many top picks got hurt and was a very, very odd draft.

So many disappointments too. Yakupov was supposed to be an elite, dynamic #1 winger. Galchenyuk and Grigorenko were supposed to be an elite 1C.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
So many disappointments too. Yakupov was supposed to be an elite, dynamic #1 winger. Galchenyuk and Grigorenko were supposed to be an elite 1C.

Yak was a "future 40 goal scorer" but I do remember some questioning boom or bust.

Maple Leaves

Jun 25, 2008
TO
You can also throw Hampus Lindholm into that discussion, he has been (arguably) every bit as good as Rielly albeit on a better team and with a lower offensive ceiling.

Interesting that Forsberg, who was a top 5 guy pretty much all year, fell to 11th and will live up to the pre draft hype. Don't usually see a guy drop that much at the top end of the draft and still come out as one of the drafts best players. I really wanted the Leafs to take Forsberg at the time, but am more than happy with Rielly.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
You can also throw Hampus Lindholm into that discussion, he has been (arguably) every bit as good as Rielly albeit on a better team and with a lower offensive ceiling.

Interesting that Forsberg, who was a top 5 guy pretty much all year, fell to 11th and will live up to the pre draft hype. Don't usually see a guy drop that much at the top end of the draft and still come out as one of the drafts best players. I really wanted the Leafs to take Forsberg at the time, but am more than happy with Rielly.

Same here. I wanted Forsberg badly at the time, and I was pissed we took Rielly at the time. Once he got passed over a bunch of times I was questioning my thought process of if he was as good as I thought. Then his rookie season made me mad again we passed :laugh:

Now I think it is a crap shoot who comes out better, and I take the high end D over a high end winger for sure.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The 2012 draft is certainly been somewhat peculiar- where several years post draft the to 6-7ish best players are all close together.

I think there is a fair chance that Rielly emerges as the best player - he's definitely looking like that this season.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Please post this on the main board so you can get laughed off the boards. Calling Galchenyuk a 3C and Murray a #4 when healthy just makes me shake my head. :shakehead:

Currently, Rielly isn't the best of his draft class, both Forsberg and Lindholm are indisputably better, and Rielly resides in the Tier with Murray, Galchenyuk, Trouba, Maataa, Dumba, etc. All players who have shown flashes but haven't established themselves as stars quite yet.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Rielly is definitely the conversation for best player of that draft class, some others

- Hampus Lindholm
- Filip Forsberg
- Olli Maatta (have to see how he responds after his injury)

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Please post this on the main board so you can get laughed off the boards. Calling Galchenyuk a 3C and Murray a #4 when healthy just makes me shake my head. :shakehead:

Currently, Rielly isn't the best of his draft class, both Forsberg and Lindholm are indisputably better, and Rielly resides in the Tier with Murray, Galchenyuk, Trouba, Maataa, Dumba, etc. All players who have shown flashes but haven't established themselves as stars quite yet.
Rielly has more points than Forsberg this year and Lindholm has been awful

Indisputably better lolz

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
One of the very few things that Burke got right. Everytime I hear his name, or see his face, I am still feeling rage! ****ing blowhard idiot! Sorry, carry on.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

Lol what an uneducated post...have you seen any of these players play?

Rielly and Lindholm are one and two...a tier above the rest. See the main boards if you disagree.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The Rielly pick is about the only saving grace from Burke's tenure. The top 4 from that draft have all been meh so far in their careers, so it's very possible that Rielly is the best player to come out of that draft.

Last edited:

Gramsci

Jul 31, 2003
Toronto
Burke's drafting record is horrendous. Outside of Kadri and Rielly there is pretty much diddly squat. An incredibly poor showing given how low the Leafs placed in the standings each year he was GM.

Thanks for so little, you blowhard.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Remembering the 2012 draft.... OP remembers one player.

Way too early to judge. Lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad