News Article: Reinhart calls out Sabres players: 'A lot of guys need to step the hell up'

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Isn't that him saying he likes playing center? :huh:

There's a whole bunch of messages in this article, it is a BN article afterall. He does talk about getting back with Eichel, which one would say that's a preference to the wing. But he does make comments about playing center.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I could call out my beer league team, but the results against the Avs would be the same. This team isn’t good enough beyond the first line. Without Dahlin, Okposo (regardless of his contract), Larry, VO and Lazar, this is an AHL caliber squad outside Jack and Sam. Yes they can vocalize for the media, which actually takes pressure off the rest of the dregs, but how are they to elevate their play beyond their known ability? And those that don’t think goaltending doesn’t matter, I think it was the one thing Bobblehead could have addressed this summer to greatly improve their chances. A good to great tandem can cover for talent gaps. There is no deadline deal that makes any difference year. There is a meh ufa class this summer. The outlook is not promising. The D corps is the only surplus of assets we have and the usage has severely crimped its value. Idk, I am slowly slipping into indifference like I did with the other franchise under the PSE umbrella.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Isn't that him saying he likes playing center? :huh:
That’s how I interpreted it as well. In the second quote he’s even putting a positive spin on playing wing in that helps him to keep his feet moving when centering a line.

What the f*** is going on that with our non-existent center depth, and the fading, bullshit season we’re witnessing again, that they won’t put this guy at C?

I’m about to leave a voicemail to no one in the style of ‘Duane’ so that I can move on with my day without thinking the wind is messing up my hair on purpose.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I saw the interview when I had postgame on. It seemed a little awkward - almost forced - as if he was told to step up in the leadership dept.

Whatever. I guess it’s better than “I have feeth in the guys in this room”

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm glad someone said it. Sheary's equipment was dry last night, even with 20 minutes of TOI. Bogosian repeatedly was on a leisure skate. Those players can't act that way and be immune to criticism.

Would be the best thing for this organization if Sam can become the Drury to Jack's Briere.

He really needs to step the hell up and take control of this team as well.

Eh? Drury was the quiet guy who hated being in front of the cameras and lead by example. Briere was the guy who was much the vocal leader.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I saw the interview when I had postgame on. It seemed a little awkward - almost forced - as if he was told to step up in the leadership dept.

Whatever. I guess it’s better than “I have feeth in the guys in this room”

I got that he was angry and trying not to just point fingers.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'm glad someone said it. Sheary's equipment was dry last night, even with 20 minutes of TOI. Bogosian repeatedly was on a leisure skate. Those players can't act that way and be immune to criticism.

Eh? Drury was the quiet guy who hated being in front of the cameras and lead by example. Briere was the guy who was much the vocal leader.

Agree.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Six years later people are still trying to hold Sam to expectations of his draft position. IDK. Once drafted they are all just players and have to be developed from where they are to where their effort and skill can take them. Sam has been slow, but very steady in his continued improvement in all aspects, from building his body, improving his shot, improving his hockey sense, and all that improving his on ice production. This last year he has made great progress in becoming a man vs the boy he was drafted as. He has gotten more engaged with being a leader and star on and off the ice, and is starting to take a greater role in the leadership on the team.

I watched Sam's press interaction after the game and I was very happy with the growth in the man I saw there. Yes we have heard some things like this from past team leaders, but not so much from Sam. Yesterday he stepped up and took his turn taking hits from the media so Eichel and Jeff didn't have to do it. I thought he did well, and showed how he really felt when he said some guys need to "step the hell up." For Sam, that is a strong statement.

Two thirds of the lineup, almost all the middle to bottom half, are set to become UFA's. They should all have tremendous incentive in a contract year and should be driving a narrative of the team out performing their talent, yet almost all look resigned to the idea that it has already gone bad and there is no point putting in the effort. Hogwash! It shows you though, why teams were willing to trade them away in the first place. The purge that will be happening this offseason needs to be complately to the bone, including long term Sabre RFA's like McCabe and Risto. You can't replace Sam very eaisily or at a reasonable cost. So sign him long term, but all the rest got to go.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I could call out my beer league team, but the results against the Avs would be the same. This team isn’t good enough beyond the first line. Without Dahlin, Okposo (regardless of his contract), Larry, VO and Lazar, this is an AHL caliber squad outside Jack and Sam. Yes they can vocalize for the media, which actually takes pressure off the rest of the dregs, but how are they to elevate their play beyond their known ability? And those that don’t think goaltending doesn’t matter, I think it was the one thing Bobblehead could have addressed this summer to greatly improve their chances. A good to great tandem can cover for talent gaps. There is no deadline deal that makes any difference year. There is a meh ufa class this summer. The outlook is not promising. The D corps is the only surplus of assets we have and the usage has severely crimped its value. Idk, I am slowly slipping into indifference like I did with the other franchise under the PSE umbrella.
Yeah. This isn't a team like Dallas last year where the pieces were already there. Lines 2 & 3 offer nothing to this team. We need 6 or 7 new forwards that actually know how to play before any of this ra-ra nonsense holds any weight. At the end of the day, I think Sam is just giving us a canned PR type media response. He can't say what he really thinks, and it wouldn't do any good either way.

Reactions: debaser66

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
This is just code for " Botts, you have until the trade deadline to get me out of here because I'm not resigning here in the off season".

I figure Jack is next to demand a trade out of this debacle that is the Sabres. Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic never works...

Reactions: Buffaloed

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Step one… find a player who will finish a check...step two find about 10 more. This team is embarrassing. Sam's right.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Hilarious. Reinhart should look in the mirror and yell at himself. On pace for 68 points, all world 2nd overall pick

That’s a ridiculous take. There are some freeloaders on this team, Reinhart isn’t one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad