News Article: Reinhart calls out Sabres players: 'A lot of guys need to step the hell up'

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
They need to get more talent in the room.

Mark Messier in his prime would have a hard time getting more out of this team, IMO.

I agree they need more talent in the room, but that shouldn't stop Sam from taking control of the room. He was drafted to be a key player of the team, it's about time he takes that role seriously. I'm not even talking about scoring on the ice, I mean in the room.

I have confidence he can do it, but he needs to get out from Eichel's shadow. For on ice purposes, it's one of the reasons why I want him on his own line and at center. Deferring to Eichel at every turn is stunting his growth. It's doing a lot more harm than good.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I agree they need more talent in the room, but that shouldn't stop Sam from taking control of the room. He was drafted to be a key player of the team, it's about time he takes that role seriously. I'm not even talking about scoring on the ice, I mean in the room.

I have confidence he can do it, but he needs to get out from Eichel's shadow. For on ice purposes, it's one of the reasons why I want him on his own line and at center. Deferring to Eichel at every turn is stunting his growth. It's doing a lot more harm than good.

We have no idea what the guys are like in the room.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I can't believe with all the losing they've never tried Reinhart at center for longer than few games at a time.

Three successive coaching regimes have done the same...

At some point you have to ask questions of the player.

I love hearing statements like this but Reinhart needs to show that he wants to 'move out of Jack's shadow'...

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

I love hearing statements like this but Reinhart needs to show that he wants to 'move out of Jack's shadow'...
I'm sure the trade request is coming, don't worry.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Also if Reinhart "refuses" to play center he should have been the first out the door during Botterill's culture purge. Seems very far-fetched to me.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

It's not up to Reinhart to play at a different position or on a different line.

And we have no idea what behind the scenes conversations have taken place between the various front office people, various coaches, and all the players that have voiced opinions on his usage since he's been here.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

I think it's the player to be honest. Reinhart has said he prefers wing. Since that statement he hasn't played center.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Talent is definitely the biggest factor, but effort could be better. We have seen games/periods where it seems like guys want to try and are rewarded for it. They need to bring the energy and effort every shift, but most of the guys arent wired like that.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Just a reminder who our coaches were and are: Bylsma, Housley, Krueger. Not exactly a solid cast of coaches whose decisions should be accepted as the CORRECT decisions. Not to mention there's an aspect of development at play with Reinhart for a few of those years.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I think it's the player to be honest. Reinhart has said he prefers wing. Since that statement he hasn't played center.

Can you source where Reinhart said this directly? And WHEN he said it?

The only occurrence I remember Reinhart commenting on this HIMSELF, is his post-draft where he said he would play anywhere the coaching staff asked him to, even at defense. Eichel has made a comment on a podcast, that Sam enjoyed playing the wing, when we had ROR and Eichel as the top 6 centers.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Can you source where Reinhart said this directly? And WHEN he said it?

The only occurrence I remember Reinhart commenting on this HIMSELF, is his post-draft where he said he would play anywhere the coaching staff asked him to, even at defense. Eichel has made a comment on a podcast, that Sam enjoyed playing the wing, when we had ROR and Eichel as the top 6 centers.
I'll try to find the quote.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'll try to find the quote.

Got it:

Sabres hope Reinhart line takes center stage

“At this point I see it as if there’s an injury I’ll move back to center,” Reinhart said. “When Jack’s back, I’m hoping we’ll get put back together, but at this point I like where our group’s at with me down the middle.”
Added Bylsma: “Long term, I like seeing him play with Jack Eichel or Ryan O’Reilly. That means he’s playing wing. He’s a centerman by nature, but I kind of like what I see and have seen from him and Jack together on a line.”

This was back in 2016 with our Top 6 filled up.

EDIT:

But also:

“From a skating standpoint, you’re kind of keeping your speed up more,” Reinhart said in KeyBank Center. “It’s not as much stopping and starting. It’s more trying to keep your speed up through the middle of the ice as opposed to being on the wall and trying to get going when the puck gets to you. It’s a little bit different and forces you to keep moving your feet.
“When I’m at my best I’m moving my feet, I’m taking up time and space on the forecheck. At times when I move to center it helps me do that.”

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Talent is definitely the biggest factor, but effort could be better. We have seen games/periods where it seems like guys want to try and are rewarded for it. They need to bring the energy and effort every shift, but most of the guys arent wired like that.

So much this... I think back to a guy like Marcus Foligno, it was so obvious when he fully brought the energy and passion to a game; no one on the opposition was safe and he became a bully on the ice. It didn't happen every night, but it was easy to see and identify.

With this group, who can even tell? Whether they're playing hard or not, there's never any hitting, every player curls into and out of positions, and there's almost never any hard stops and starts. And the worst part is it seems none of them are demanding of each other. When is the last time they slammed the door and held a players only meeting? When's the last time we heard about a tenacious/edgy practice?

Ugh, it's so depressing, please for the love of all that is good and holy inject some heart and passion into this lineup.

Reactions: DJN21

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
You'll be the first if you succeed. Pretty certain the source of this entire narrative is that Eichel pod.
Still looking but I did find one article where he says all the right things but does add that in the past he viewed the switch to center as a demotion.

"One mistake I've made in the past is viewing switching center as a demotion," Reinhart said. "That's not the way to be looking at it at all. This is an opportunity for me to get another line going, get another line on the scoresheet every night playing with some good players. I'm looking at it completely different with a fresh mentality and I'm excited about it."
Eichel roommate Sam Reinhart: 'It's motivation to join him for the next couple of years'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad