Injury Report: Regehr Out Two to Three Weeks, Schultz Called Up

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I rather see Schultz in his own zone than with space behind him + see post #18 who hit the nail on the head.

I saw post 18 when it was posted. And that's the nice thing about a 'discussion' right? I can see it another way. Mitchell and Voynov not being on this team , like last year when Schultz came up changes things, to how I see it. Not how you to or poster #18. That's all it is, how it's seen.
Schultz did fine, I never said he didn't, only that this time, it's a different group of 6 and depending on who he's partnered with and how he's used, it will be more pressure because the Kings are spending more time in their own end this year and giving up more scoring chances.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
With the record the Kings have with developing D-men, I am going to defer judgement to them.
They either feel he isn't ready, they want him to be the man down there, or they don't want to mentally scar him when an elite nhl player 4th degree burns him.

I agree with your points. The Kings are very patient. But other teams bring these kids up that don't have to clear waivers for a peek, and then send them back down. Sometimes I wonder if it's just about the money spilled out for Schultz already. If you bring Forbort up and pay him his NHL rate, you still have to pay Schultz that rate in the AHL. It's like sticking to the plan of why they signed Schultz, not based on how well people are actually playing!

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I saw post 18 when it was posted. And that's the nice thing about a 'discussion' right? I can see it another way. Mitchell and Voynov not being on this team , like last year when Schultz came up changes things, to how I see it. Not how you to or poster #18. That's all it is, how it's seen.
Schultz did fine, I never said he didn't, only that this time, it's a different group of 6 and depending on who he's partnered with and how he's used, it will be more pressure because the Kings are spending more time in their own end this year and giving up more scoring chances.

100 percent without a doubt Schultz will contribute to the playing in our own end! He consistently loses races to loose pucks, and the cycle down low begins, and he then loses foot races back to the front of the net for D coverage and it's in the net!

I will say once he has the puck, he has poise and his passing skills are very good. But if paired with the wrong D man, Schultz is going to be looking for help when it comes to puck possession. In steps our centers this year, who in many ways have had to function as a third down low D way more than should be. Other good teams have speed and puck movers so the forwards are allowed to release up the ice!! Blackhawks especially.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
All those saying bring up Forbort, now is really not the time. Our D hasn't been great this year and every point counts right now. If it weren't for Quick many nights this year we would be in trouble. So why bring a rookie D up now? Schultz is the safe call.
Forbort has earned his call up just not right now.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Forbort has outplayed everyone(except Miller) in Manchester this year.

Kings brass probably wants Forbort to stay down, continue playing big minutes.

Guy deserves a call-up though, along with Shore/Weal, O'Neill.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Can we let the guy play a game before we start criticizing him? I know we're all a bunch experts on hockey talent and all but this guy has done everything that has been asked of him and performed admirably in the playoffs last year. If the guy suck, he sucks. We don't have a lot of options and he is the best available.

Schultz will be fine, he is a Veteran.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Dennis Bernstein
‏@DennisTFP Saw Regehr outside Kings room - a couple of fingers taped on right hand, not sure if that is the issue - looked fine otherwise.

Sutter said he got hurt blocking a shot

Broken finger(s)???

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
My logic was clearly stated. When he came last year, his role /job wasn't the same because the top 4 was stronger. Breakout passes were better, puck left the zone more, less time battling in this own end per shift. This year, the Kings D has spent a lot more time in their end and it's cost them.
This is not the same same D corp as last year, not as strong. He'll be under more pressure because he'll be spending more time under pressure, due to the change in the D and the fact they're not as good.

Your reasoning is sound.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I think you're overlooking how much more intense and difficult a playoff game is, even with a better supporting cast.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Schultz is the right call up over Forbort. Forbs has been playing great, but there is no need for him to come up when you got a guy as experienced as Schutlz. Plus Schultz signed a 2 years deal with the Kings knowing he probably be in Manchester, and has been a pros pro down there. You gotta respect that.

As for trades. Nothing is gonna happen to after the Voynov trial, unless we trade a current roster player. His trial will likely end during the regular season. If he is found not guilty, I would assume his suspension would be lifted and his cap be back on the books.

I'd say the bar is lower for Schultz in the regular season. His potential mistakes aren't likely to cost the Kings their season. I think we all can agree that the defensive corps is not as good this season but Schultz did replace Regehr last year as well. I think the person that is likely to see more ice time is Greene and Schultz will probably be on the 3rd pair.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Watching the Monarchs right now, and in the last few games, a line of Shore, andreoff, and Oneil have been on fire!! Oneil has assisted on the last 9 straight monarch goals.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I think you're overlooking how much more intense and difficult a playoff game is, even with a better supporting cast.

I understand hockey and the entirely different animal that playoff hockey is, as I've been a fan for over 40 years. I love the sport, and have enjoyed all of it ,esp the incredible pace and temperature of the playoffs, which are the best of all the sports.

So, no, I have not overlooked that at all.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I understand hockey and the entirely different animal that playoff hockey is, as I've been a fan for over 40 years. I love the sport, and have enjoyed all of it ,esp the incredible pace and temperature of the playoffs, which are the best of all the sports.

So, no, I have not overlooked that at all.

Then I can only say I strongly disagree with the assertion that a 2-3 week span of hockey in December/January is more pressure than 7 games in the playoffs against the team with the 2nd best record in the league, even with the differences in the supporting cast and role expected to play.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I wonder if Calgary would trade Wideman, or if Columbus would trade Wisniewski...

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Not to be a ****, but Forbort really only has himself to blame... he stayed and played his senior year instead of heading over to the Monarchs.... Lombardi was left in a spot where he didn't have anyone in the AHL ready to fill in on the big club.... So he went out and grabbed Schultz... now Schultz gets the call up.... May be a different situation if Forbort already had a year pro under his belt and was playing his second... maybe not...

That with the way the team is playing they need the vet experience way more then a rookie right now.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
It's just a couple weeks while Regehr is out. Schultz was reliable when called upon against a very good Anaheim team in the playoffs. He's earned the benefit of the doubt more than a completely untested rookie...hasn't he?

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Not to be a ****, but Forbort really only has himself to blame... he stayed and played his senior year instead of heading over to the Monarchs.... Lombardi was left in a spot where he didn't have anyone in the AHL ready to fill in on the big club.... So he went out and grabbed Schultz... now Schultz gets the call up.... May be a different situation if Forbort already had a year pro under his belt and was playing his second... maybe not...

That with the way the team is playing they need the vet experience way more then a rookie right now.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Forbort did not stay for his senior year and this is his second full season with Manchester.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
You have no idea what you are talking about. Forbort did not stay for his senior year and this is his second full season with Manchester.
Forbort also played 7 games or so two seasons ago after his college season ended.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Forbort has outplayed everyone(except Miller) in Manchester this year.

Kings brass probably wants Forbort to stay down, continue playing big minutes.

Guy deserves a call-up though, along with Shore/Weal, O'Neill.

On the other side of the coin, Kings D is not that strong right now. If they bring up Forbort and he blows it for a few games, it could really cost us. If our D was more stable and we were better off in the standings, I am inclined to agree with you; however, we are barely in playoff contention right now. Schultz is more NHL stable and is the more conservative choice. If our D was sound and he was the newbie they were trying to ease in, it would be a different case.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013

Guess I got him confused with another prospect/lost a year....

On the other hand what the hell is taking this guy so long to develop? Second year and he can't beat out Schultz? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00