"Refrain from throwing hamburgers on the ice"

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Totally against anything on the ice during play, that said does anyone think these complaints come out of any other city if this same run were to happen to one of the other 29 teams?

People these days:

youre-too-easily-offended.jpg

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
But how do you enforce "end of the game?" As I said before, there will always be doorknobs who throw stuff, including anything else that is at hand, with 0:19 (or even 1:19) left after an empty-netter is scored. I don't think kicking them out at that point will have any effect at all. It is absolutely going to come down to the Sens taking a delay of game or someone getting hurt. Therefore, actively discourage throwing anything at any time and look past the end-of-game tosses.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
This is not an opinion thing, or city to city differences. There is an NHL rule at play here:

Rule 63.4

Objects Thrown on the Ice – In the event that objects are thrown on

the ice that interfere with the progress of the game, the Referee shall

blow the whistle and stop the play and the puck shall be faced-off at a

face-off spot in the zone nearest to the spot where play is stopped.

When objects are thrown on the ice during a stoppage in play,

including after the scoring of a goal, the Referee shall have

announced over the public address system that any further

occurrences will result in a bench minor penalty being assessed to

the home Team. Articles thrown onto the ice following a special

occasion (i.e. hat trick) will not result in a bench minor penalty being

assessed. Refer also to Rule 53.6 when spectator interference

occurs during a breakaway.

If fans throw things on the ice before the game is over there is a warning, and if it happens again our team could get a minor penalty for delay of game. In a tight playoff race where every point matters this could be a huge thing.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
This is not an opinion thing, or city to city differences. There is an NHL rule at play here:

If fans throw things on the ice before the game is over there is a warning, and if it happens again our team could get a minor penalty for delay of game. In a tight playoff race where every point matters this could be a huge thing.

I wonder what the grace period will be like from the NHL ...its happened several games in a row now and i guess it likely only happens during a win but i would not be surprised nor disagree with a dely of game penalty the next time or time after.

Perhaps its been discussed but what are the precedents for this in regards to threats of penalty from the league...rats in florida, octopus in detroit etc...?

neutral zone trap13

Dec 15, 2009
Ottawa
Rule 63.4

Objects Thrown on the Ice – In the event that objects are thrown on

the ice that interfere with the progress of the game, the Referee shall

blow the whistle and stop the play and the puck shall be faced-off at a

face-off spot in the zone nearest to the spot where play is stopped.

When objects are thrown on the ice during a stoppage in play,

including after the scoring of a goal, the Referee shall have

announced over the public address system that any further

occurrences will result in a bench minor penalty being assessed to

the home Team. Articles thrown onto the ice following a special

occasion (i.e. hat trick) will not result in a bench minor penalty being

assessed.
Refer also to Rule 53.6 when spectator interference

occurs during a breakaway.

But are we sure Hamburglar stealing games isn't a special occasion?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Totally against anything on the ice during play, that said does anyone think these complaints come out of any other city if this same run were to happen to one of the other 29 teams?

People these days:

youre-too-easily-offended.jpg

I'm not offended by it - just seems like you're making work for people.

Senafan

May 17, 2013
At least wait until after the game...almost a guarantee we're going to get a penalty if people start tossing them early like last game.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
All I heard was borocop asking to stop throwing full cans of beer at him and Weircoich during play.

Jerk Store*

So should I throw burgers before or after the buzzer? Guys?

:laugh:

I'm 100% with everyone saying wait til the game is over. I get annoyed myself when I see them thrown before the end. Like Come on! But now the media has gone full **** riders and trying to preach not to throw burgers. ****! We're enjoying this, not hurting anyone. At least til the streak ends.

IMO the Sens are being politically correct here but they really don't mind it.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
At least wait until after the game...almost a guarantee we're going to get a penalty if people start tossing them early like last game.

exactly. it can't happen after the warning. At least not until the change the ruling to hatrick or hamburglary.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I think they're serious.

The premature throwing is getting really annoying and probably pissing off the league/refs, and there remains pressure from the "stop wasting food" crowd.

I dont expect fans to listen, but it's time to move on. Really what needs to happen is the rink needs to start selling plastic hamburgers for people to throw, and the ushers have to take control (as much as they can, i know it's a tough job) of the premature throwers.

The rink can't sell them.
Florida tried selling the rats again a couple of years ago, the NHL put a stop to it. Can't promote throwing stuff on the ice.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We totally need to vilify Detroit here. So many poor, unemployed, hungry people in that city....and I hear octopus are a delicacy. Such waste!

Like Upgrayedd said, would we see this criticism in any other city? I know Ottawa is a melancholy type of city and all, but jeez.....let people have some fun (as long as it's at the 60 min mark)

exactly. it can't happen after the warning. At least not until the change the ruling to hatrick or hamburglary.

So.....throw burgers after a hat trick? :naughty: :D

Hab 4 Life

Apr 5, 2013
Montreal
My guess is that they find it offensive that people would waste resources and food when there are those in our community (a significant amount) who are malnourished and hungry.

note: I don't want to get into a debate about this. My response is simply speculation as to why they might find throwing hamburgers offensive.

This. Not to mention most people tend to forget this burger was once a living animal that died for them to eat. But most people take that for granted or just plain don't care.

Note: I'm not a vegetarian or anything but I was just raised to respect where my food comes from. Probably not a "cool" thing to say tho....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad