GDT: Red Wings @ Vegas Golden Knights| 10:30 EST | FSD

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Zetterberg is miraculous. It's exactly as Bin Cookin said a few weeks ago, Z makes everyone around him so much better. The instant Mantha moved up his entire game changed. Z setting up Nielsen and Nyquist was great. Poor Tatar the odd man out but hey no worries, he "drives possession".:laugh:

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
It's nice we're on a roll. But it's early. We know this can't be the real team. It'll rear it's ugly head sometime, because Blash. We want Svechnikov next year.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I hope the record books write that actually ZETTERBERG handed Vegas their 1st loss, haha.

That was classic, reminded me of beating other expansion teams through the years with packs of Wings fans in the stands. This game had a good flow (with less of the usual repetitive icings and off-sides) and a little of everything for the Las Vegas crowd.

I think when loudly claiming we are a worse team than LV or AZ this summer...I can admit now I was partially wrong. We probably have a stronger, more cohesive group. But not by much. On a given night with different luck either of those teams could beat Detroit. The real question is who has a brighter future.

Not to take away from the wins but facing Tampa Monday I feel like we're playing the 1st real game of the season. A true rival and a team that is expected to make the playoffs. I don't put a Karlsson-less Ottawa or dumpy looking Wild in the same category of competition. Let's see if Howard can continue to steal us games.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
That's why I drafted Mantha, for when he explodes with Zetterberg. :naughty:

Nonetheless, the defense remains ass. Daley is the best guy there.

That's insane. Green is 5x the player Daley is. Green has the silkiest hands on the team, can pinch down deep in the slot and still be the 1st man back to gather up the puck. You ever seen Green lose a race back? He makes about a 100 beautiful clean passes a game and follows every play up as an offensive threat. Daley has the same effect as Ericsson, Ouellet, DeKeyser, Jensen, etc. They're hangers-on, warm bodies, 3rd pair D men and nothing more.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Mrazek wasn’t good. Z and Mantha were amazing

Also we have a winning record vs Vegas all time!

Mrazek was pretty good.
No chance on two goals.
Wouldn't mind him stopping the third goal.
But he made several great saves when Detroit's defense was trying imitate an expansion team in the first and second period.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
That's insane. Green is 5x the player Daley is. Green has the silkiest hands on the team, can pinch down deep in the slot and still be the 1st man back to gather up the puck. You ever seen Green lose a race back? He makes about a 100 beautiful clean passes a game and follows every play up as an offensive threat. Daley has the same effect as Ericsson, Ouellet, DeKeyser, Jensen, etc. They're hangers-on, warm bodies, 3rd pair D men and nothing more.

I meant in today's match.

Green always makes his beautiful plays, a treat to watch, but was sloppy today defensively.

Green is the best by far overall, absolutely.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Mrazek was pretty good.
No chance on two goals.
Wouldn't mind him stopping the third goal.
But he made several great saves when Detroit's defense was trying imitate an expansion team in the first and second period.

Every goal can be stopped by the goalie except empty net goals. He posted numbers worse then a back-up. The goals were stoppable.

He should have been ready for a pass on the first goal

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I meant in today's match.

Green always makes his beautiful plays, a treat to watch, but was sloppy today defensively.

Green is the best by far overall, absolutely.

Oops sorry. I guess I'm still a little hyped by the comment some NHL manager(?) made that the "Green experiment failed" and Daley would be our best defensman. In fairness Daley is still an NHL player, but I wish the Wings acquired him 5 years ago instead of now. Holland and his parade of over-the-hill vets is annoying.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Oops sorry. I guess I'm still a little hyped by the comment some NHL manager(?) made that the "Green experiment failed" and Daley would be our best defensman. In fairness Daley is still an NHL player, but I wish the Wings acquired him 5 years ago instead of now. Holland and his parade of over-the-hill vets is annoying.

Well the over the hill vet is probably the second best on the team.

Not defending the signing here.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Hard to not be excited from what Mantha is showing. And Zetterberg still has it, even if the legs move a bit slower.
Mantha has 7 points in 5 games despite, imo, playing quite a bit below what he's truly able to do. In the 3rd of this game we saw him closer to the type of dominant efforts he can have at his best. I really hate seeing him handcuffed with Abdelkader on his line so I hope that experiment is over.

I think when loudly claiming we are a worse team than LV or AZ this summer...I can admit now I was partially wrong. We probably have a stronger, more cohesive group. But not by much. On a given night with different luck either of those teams could beat Detroit. The real question is who has a brighter future.
I still have no idea what people saw in Vegas' roster during the summer when talking about how they might not be that bad or could even be better than us. They are garbage. Neal and Fleury will only get them so far. If/when injuries hit them their depth will deplete so fast. Even without injuries I doubt they win 3 games in a row again this season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Mantha has 7 points in 5 games despite, imo, playing quite a bit below what he's truly able to do. In the 3rd of this game we saw him closer to the type of dominant efforts he can have at his best. I really hate seeing him handcuffed with Abdelkader on his line so I hope that experiment is over.

I still have no idea what people saw in Vegas' roster during the summer when talking about how they might not be that bad or could even be better than us. They are garbage. Neal and Fleury will only get them so far. If/when injuries hit them their depth will deplete so fast. Even without injuries I doubt they win 3 games in a row again this season.

They are in for a rough season as are we eventually in my opinion.

However it is worth noting that because of how they are juggling their roster they have their #1C, first pairing D and 3rd line winger stashed in the minors. They are certainly a better team with Shipachyov and Theodore.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
They are in for a rough season as are we eventually in my opinion.

However it is worth noting that because of how they are juggling their roster they have their #1C, first pairing D and 3rd line winger stashed in the minors. They are certainly a better team with Shipachyov and Theodore.
And we have one of our most dangerous goalscorers in contract holdout, as well as two nice depth forwards in Bertuzzi and Svechnikov out injured. With Hicketts, Sproul and others in AHL we have decent depth on D as well. We're not going to keep winning like this but we certainly have way more depth and ability to cope with injuries than they do. Imo Vegas has the worst roster in the NHL by a longshot and it'll be a minor miracle if they avoid finishing last.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
At least we’re exciting this year. Based on a very short sample size the foward group and goaltending have a chance to at least make us a bubble team... which will upset some fans.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Larkin was 68% in face-offs!

Also can't believe that i actually stayed up through the first two periods thinking that this game blows.. Only to miss that third :o

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad