Rumor: Red Wings shopping for a D-man on trade market

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I suggested similar on the Blues forum but with a pretty major change. We'd add one of our 3rd line centers, preferably Lehtera and get a premium asset instead of the 2nd.

Shattenkirk + Lehtera/Berglund
for
Tatar + Sheahan + Mantha/Svech/1st

If you guys can afford the cap, I think it works for both teams. You'd be paying a little more for Shatty, but getting a decent 3rd line center behind Neilsen and Larkin. Move Helm to the wing.

We have no need for a third line center with Zetterberg, Nielson, Larkin (potentially), Sheahan as top 9 centers. At least 3 of those guys will play center so no need for another one. Also, we're not in a position to deal quality for quantity at all.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Can we really afford to be choosy with top 6 wingers? How many teams have the kind of forward surplus that Detroit does? Almost every other team will make us overpay. Detroit is out of conference and is our best chance for advantageous return for a guy we may have no choice but to trade.

Yes, we can afford to be choosy because it is a sellers market for young #2/#3 D. Fans may not like it but GM's know it and eventually will pay the premium. Giving away your best trade chip for less than the market will bear is a terrible move. Be a better poker player (or at least hope that GMBM is).

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I suggested similar on the Blues forum but with a pretty major change. We'd add one of our 3rd line centers, preferably Lehtera and get a premium asset instead of the 2nd.

Shattenkirk + Lehtera/Berglund
for
Tatar + Sheahan + Mantha/Svech/1st

If you guys can afford the cap, I think it works for both teams. You'd be paying a little more for Shatty, but getting a decent 3rd line center behind Neilsen and Larkin. Move Helm to the wing.

If Shattenkirk guarantees to resign I'd be all over this. I think most Wings fans worry about him leaving afterwards.

The most i'd do is Tatar+Sheahan+2nd or a variation of that.

I think it's why I believe Fowler is a better fit. Doesn't mean I don't think Shatty is a fantastic player

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
We have no need for a third line center with Zetterberg, Nielson, Larkin (potentially), Sheahan as top 9 centers. At least 3 of those guys will play center so no need for another one. Also, we're not in a position to deal quality for quantity at all.

Well we would be taking Sheahan, and I figured you'd want Zetterberg on the wing with Neilson. You'd definitely know better than I, but I envison'd it

Zetterberg - Neilsen - Nyqvist
Abdelkader - Larkin - Vanek
Mantha/Jurco -Lehtera - Franzen (if recovered from concussion)
Ott - Helm -Miller

And then Shatty on D. This would give you a PP QB, puck moving D. It would also give you a more offensive 3rd line. Sheahan while solid defensively, isn't a really good playmaker. Lehtera could provide some offensive jump to your bottom lines.

Again, you know better what fits your team. I just know Tatar + Sheahan + 2nd doesn't have the big ticket item I'd need to get excited about the move. Couple middle 6'ers and a 2nd. But adding Lehtera and a Svech/Mantha helps us cut some cap on our 3rd line center and get a premium futures asset. That makes things much more interesting.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yes, we can afford to be choosy because it is a sellers market for young #2/#3 D. Fans may not like it but GM's know it and eventually will pay the premium. Giving away your best trade chip for less than the market will bear is a terrible move. Be a better poker player (or at least hope that GMBM is).

This isn't poker. In poker you're bound to win by pure statistics alone. If there nothing better out there than what Detroit has and we hold out for better, well let me equate it in a way you'd understand. It would be like sitting at the table all night long until you have no money left cause you gave it all away on blinds without ever getting a winning hand.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
This isn't poker. In poker you're bound to win by pure statistics alone. If there nothing better out there than what Detroit has and we hold out for better, well let me equate it in a way you'd understand. It would be like sitting at the table all night long until you have no money left cause you gave it all away on blinds without ever getting a winning hand.

We can just agree to disagree. Trading Fowler for a sub-standard return would be way worse than just keeping him. And it's only July 1st...plenty of time to make trades...all summer in fact.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
We can just agree to disagree. Trading Fowler for a sub-standard return would be way worse than just keeping him. And it's only July 1st...plenty of time to make trades...all summer in fact.

Tatar is sub standard? Lol. Pulk may be a 15/20 goal scorer as well

Ufahmad

Jun 29, 2016
Michigan
I would like to hold on to mantha and keep the group of top prospects but if we have a chance to pick up a stud defenseman mantha/smith/1st round pick should do it... The stud defenseman should be a proven player and preferably right handed (shattenkirk or trouba)

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Tatar is sub standard? Lol. Pulk may be a 15/20 goal scorer as well

That is my opinion and is based on GMBM's history of trading and drafting players. If he has a sudden change of direction then maybe the value is right. Personally, I wouldn't mind Tatar if AA or Sheahan was also part of the deal. No interest in Pulkinnen from my POV.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Agree to disagree? Other than Colorado who else is out there who's got a better option right now?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't know and neither do you.

So where do you get off telling me to have a better "poker face"?

Why am I wrong for being hopeful for the best current option if nothing else seems to be available? How do you know Tatar+ is less than what the market will offer?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
That is my opinion and is based on GMBM's history of trading and drafting players. If he has a sudden change of direction then maybe the value is right. Personally, I wouldn't mind Tatar if AA or Sheahan was also part of the deal. No interest in Pulkinnen from my POV.

I don't see why he wouldn't. And Tatar isn't a guy that runs away from everyone that's bigger then him. Dump and line change. He doesn't want to get hit. But he doesn't really care if he does. He will try to make a play. Ducks haven't been to the scf since 2007. Ducks haven't really been contenders since. Idk. Moves need to be made. It's why he's gonna trade a dman

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
So where do you get off telling me to have a better "poker face"?

Why am I wrong for being hopeful for the best current option if nothing else seems to be available? How do you know Tatar+ is less than what the market will offer?

Based on the rumors out there we know that BM has been talking with about Fowler with Buff, Mont, Tor. Col. NJ desperately needs D as do 3/4 of the teams around the league. Detroit is far from the only player here.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Based on the rumors out there we know that BM has been talking with about Fowler with Buff, Mont, Tor. Col. NJ desperately needs D as do 3/4 of the teams around the league. Detroit is far from the only player here.

As far as I'm concerned they're the least likely to make us overpay. It's not like Fowler is the only defenseman available either.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I don't see why he wouldn't. And Tatar isn't a guy that runs away from everyone that's bigger then him. Dump and line change. He doesn't want to get hit. But he doesn't really care if he does. He will try to make a play. Ducks haven't been to the scf since 2007. Ducks haven't really been contenders since. Idk. Moves need to be made. It's why he's gonna trade a dman

The Ducks have won their division 4 years running and were within 1 game of the SCF a year ago. BM doesn't need to panic. If he likes the guys you are offering then it is a win for you.

CaptainCrosscheck

Dec 21, 2011
The closer the expansion draft gets the less leverage teams with more quality players then they can protect will have. Doesn't mean the ducks should trade Fowler for nothing but at the same time if you wait to long and teams realize you have to trade someone the less leverage you have.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The Ducks have won their division 4 years running and were within 1 game of the SCF a year ago. BM doesn't need to panic. If he likes the guys you are offering then it is a win for you.

Are you really hanging your hat on our division titles man? The banners are nice but they're irrelevant.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
The closer the expansion draft gets the less leverage teams with more quality players then they can protect will have. Doesn't mean the ducks should trade Fowler for nothing but at the same time if you wait to long and teams realize you have to trade someone the less leverage you have.

I'm not sure that really is relavent here. We could just protect all three of fowler Vatanen and Lindholm if that last year of Bieksa is bought out.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
As far as I'm concerned they're the least likely to make us overpay. It's not like Fowler is the only defenseman available either.

Detroit is a fine trading partner here, but I'm not sure what you mean by "least likely to make us overpay". There are three teams selling defensemen and almost every team in the league needs defense. Nobody has a leverage advantage over Anaheim right now.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Detroit is a fine trading partner here, but I'm not sure what you mean by "least likely to make us overpay". There are three teams selling defensemen and almost every team in the league needs defense. Nobody has a leverage advantage over Anaheim right now.

We're in a position of dire need (wingers. We need several) there is a hint of leverage. Especially considering there are other defensemen out there that we know of. Potentially more we don't. Did anyone predict Larsson would be traded?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad