Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Last edited:

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
nice, seems like a while since I've heard of mantha.

Anyone hear any news on how Mike Mckee is doing?

RWC posted this article on Sheahan http://www.redwingscentral.com/2013/11/26/4249/sheahan-embraces-shut-down-role/

Kinda disappointing to be honest. Anyone think he moves to the wing with Helm and Andy as our bottom 6 centers? Or in a trade package maybe

I go to WMU, Mckee is nothing special besides from his size and strength. He usually either plays 4th line forward or bottom 4 defense although he is actually playing on the top pairing today for the game at 4.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
I go to WMU, Mckee is nothing special besides from his size and strength. He usually either plays 4th line forward or bottom 4 defense although he is actually playing on the top pairing today for the game at 4.

Thanks, if he can turn into a 4th liner or 6th Dman and either hammer other teams dmen on the forecheck or clear out in front of our net I'll be happy

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
RWC posted this article on Sheahan http://www.redwingscentral.com/2013/11/26/4249/sheahan-embraces-shut-down-role/

Kinda disappointing to be honest. Anyone think he moves to the wing with Helm and Andy as our bottom 6 centers? Or in a trade package maybe
I think it's a little early to sell on Sheahan. For one thing, he's had no choice but to play shut-down with NHL centers eating up most of his icetime. At one point he had both Helm and Emmerton playing ahead of him. and he still has Emmerton now. and worse yet, switching him to the wing wouldn't help because the depth picture there is even worse.

If anybody's getting screwed by NHLers sent down, it's Sheahan.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I think it's a little early to sell on Sheahan. For one thing, he's had no choice but to play shut-down with NHL centers eating up most of his icetime. At one point he had both Helm and Emmerton playing ahead of him. and he still has Emmerton now. and worse yet, switching him to the wing wouldn't help because the depth picture there is even worse.

If anybody's getting screwed by NHLers sent down, it's Sheahan.

If this is his last year of AHL eligibility and he still isn't better than Emmerton... I would argue he isn't getting screwed. More like he just can't hack it.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Sheahan is David Steckel 2.0. Similiar size, college numbers and AHL numbers. If he develops into an ace in the faceoff circle he could be of some use at the NHL level.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

RWC giving up the ghost on Sheahan being a top 6 center reaffirms what a lot of us have thought about Sheahan based on his college career. With that being said there's nothing wrong with having a guy with his defensive game, size and skating in our lineup at some point.

Hopefully Grand Rapids will move on from trying to turn him into a scorer and will instead build some more grit into his game. I'm not saying he needs to be a fighter, just that he needs to be a guy who will forecheck and go to the front of the net to screen the goalie.

So I wouldn't give up on him having a role in Detroit, we just need to put this "overripe" BS to rest and develop him to be the best bottom 6 forward he can be in the NHL. I'm 100% confident he can replace Mikael Samuelsson right now and make the DRW a better hockey club.

And in the final analysis that's really what it's all about.

A1Portable

Nov 5, 2005
Nick Jensen injured since July

... because young Bertuzzi got in a fight with him in training.

Are you kidding me? This makes me sick!

I have been one who, for several seasons now, has wanted the Wings to get bigger, scrappier, and tougher, but being tough has nothing to do with running your mouth like a junior high kid and picking fights with your own teammates.

Scrappiness and toughness mean going into the corners and taking the beating required to emerge with the puck, WITHOUT DRAWING A PENALTY OR RETALIATING.

Scrappiness and toughness mean being relentless on the puck, relentless on the forecheck, relentless on the backcheck, and relentlessly competing to win, even when the game goes against you.

Scrappiness and toughness mean NOT retaliating when your opponents try to provoke you but instead continuing relentlessly to play competitive hockey to the bitter end.

I am concerned that using a 2nd round pick on young Bertuzzi was a waste of a 2nd round pick. The Wings need prospects who can play good hockey, not punks who are good at running their mouths.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
RWC giving up the ghost on Sheahan being a top 6 center reaffirms what a lot of us have thought about Sheahan based on his college career. With that being said there's nothing wrong with having a guy with his defensive game, size and skating in our lineup at some point.

Hopefully Grand Rapids will move on from trying to turn him into a scorer and will instead build some more grit into his game. I'm not saying he needs to be a fighter, just that he needs to be a guy who will forecheck and go to the front of the net to screen the goalie.

So I wouldn't give up on him having a role in Detroit, we just need to put this "overripe" BS to rest and develop him to be the best bottom 6 forward he can be in the NHL. I'm 100% confident he can replace Mikael Samuelsson right now and make the DRW a better hockey club.

And in the final analysis that's really what it's all about.

He does both of those quite well when you watch the Griffins, needs to finish checks more often. But he is a very good forechecker and net front guy, just isn't overtly physical.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Jensen started it.

He did not, but he was willing to go. Little Bert was being a POS and after he and Jensen had a jawing exchange about it, Bert ran the goalie immediately after and he went. Unfortunate he got hurt and he was willing to stick up for himself and his teammates to get Bertuzzi to stop being a clown in inter-squad scrimmages, but Jensen did not start it.

Has been activated and is down in Toledo by the way, don't know if he has hit the ice yet.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
No offense but this thread sounds like somebody that doesn't follow or know his game.

Bertuzzi is scoring at a 1.24 pace with 25gms - 7g - 24a -31pts and 42pims.

He's had two fights this year in the OHL. Heres an example of another player running his teamate then attempting to go after him. I love that he plays in your face hockey.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Bert has had a wonderful start to his year and looks better by the way, I know people will always try to hate on that pick but really start getting over it, have read some say he is the most improved forward in the OHL. Plays on a monster team, should go to the Memorial Cup this year and continues to fill out. I don't like what he did and neither did his teammates as they hit him with massive body checks in the next scrimmage, I believe it was talked about whether or not the Chelios coached team put a little bit of a bounty on him for it.

Just hurting Jensen doesn't make him a bad pick, hopefully he can keep improving, as long as he cuts out this kind of behavior in training camps and practices we should be fine. He is a long-term project but has some hands and is a real SOB to play if you're the other guys, really for me he is an upgraded version of Mitch Callahan from the Griffins.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
He did not, but he was willing to go. Little Bert was being a POS and after he and Jensen had a jawing exchange about it, Bert ran the goalie immediately after and he went. Unfortunate he got hurt and he was willing to stick up for himself and his teammates to get Bertuzzi to stop being a clown in inter-squad scrimmages, but Jensen did not start it.

Has been activated and is down in Toledo by the way, don't know if he has hit the ice yet.

Neither guy was innocent but while Bert may have started the exchange by cross checking Jensen it was clearly Jensen who wanted to fight.

He threw 3 punches (4 if you count the one with his glove on) before Bert even dropped his gloves.

Its unfortunate he got hurt but I don't blame Bertuzzi at all for his injury.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Neither guy was innocent but while Bert may have started the exchange by cross checking Jensen it was clearly Jensen who wanted to fight.

He threw 3 punches (4 if you count the one with his glove on) before Bert even dropped his gloves.

Its unfortunate he got hurt but I don't blame Bertuzzi at all for his injury.

I see that exchange just the way I described it, after telling him to cut it out more or less by the appearance of that, he dumps him on top of the goalie right after and continues the stick work. Didn't say Jensen didn't want to fight, just pointed out Bert's behavior led to that exchange. It is unfortunate that Jensen got hurt, but just because he dropped his gloves first didn't mean Bert didn't have it coming, that is a brutal 20 seconds leading into it in terms of an inter-squad practice. Something I leave at the feet of Bertuzzi there is no reason to be doing that to your teammates and involving the goalie to be hit in the next exchange was a situation where I agree with Jensen coming up firing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad