GDT: Red Wings @ Dallas Stars - 8:30 EST - FSD

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
There were articles coming out prior to the season with quotes from trashill saying that Mantha will get a ton of ice time this year, but he's only gotten 15 and 13 minutes these past two games. He should always be getting around 18-20. Let the third line and fourth line sit for a couple shifts if it means giving the second line the ice time it should be getting. Mantha is possibly our best winger and playing him so little is ridiculous.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There were articles coming out prior to the season with quotes from trashill saying that Mantha will get a ton of ice time this year, but he's only gotten 15 and 13 minutes these past two games. He should always be getting around 18-20. Let the third line and fourth line sit for a couple shifts if it means giving the second line the ice time it should be getting. Mantha is possibly our best winger and playing him so little is ridiculous.

The best part is he said they would get a ton of minutes, and it's up to them to produce to keep the minutes. He's got 4 pts in 3 games and isn't even getting minutes, lol.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I liked the effort in the third period. It was nice to see the team actually playing with heart & spirit for once as well as fighting for the puck. Great goal by Abdelkader. Martha is looking better this season so far.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He got 18 minutes guys.

I'd like to see him with hank again though, I like him and Larkin growing together too. So I'm down for whatever.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Out of curiosity how do 1st and 2nd line ES shifts compare through three games? If there are a ton of penalties going both ways, I expect Mantha's ice time to be comparatively lower than some guys.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Out of curiosity how do 1st and 2nd line ES shifts compare through three games? If there are a ton of penalties going both ways, I expect Mantha's ice time to be comparatively lower than some guys.
Why wouldn't Mantha play on the PP enough to offset that?

Do we see the same thing with other players who play on the PP but not as much on the PK?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Positive note - Larkin already has more assists than he had combined in October + November last year.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Seguin had a sick shot... but should Mrazek have been on his knees that early? A shot from that distance won't go 5 hole without giving him time to react. And he could have covered a couple inches higher.

I'm not a goalie expert, so I'm seriously asking.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Why wouldn't Mantha play on the PP enough to offset that?

Do we see the same thing with other players who play on the PP but not as much on the PK?
It only applies to Frk and our first line, Frk played nearly 4 minutes less than Mantha. First line obviously played the most.

Frk, Mantha, and Larkin led in PP time, but it was really close

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
Seguin had a sick shot... but should Mrazek have been on his knees that early? A shot from that distance won't go 5 hole without giving him time to react. And he could have covered a couple inches higher.

I'm not a goalie expert either but Seguin just beat him clean. Happens...Dallas was moving the puck well and it just beat him. 1/2 inch up and it hits post and doesn't go in.

You had to know Dallas was going to come out and play good hockey. Radulov on that team is certainly a great signing. The PP they can throw out there is gross. I'm not sure if Bishop was the answer there though. I don't know how a goalie lets Mantha score that bad angle shot being the size Bishop is.

Does Mrazek get the start in Arizona and Howard in Vegas? That's how I'd have it I think. Bounce back game on Thursday and a challenge Friday. Back end to a B2B and that Vegas team is playing well. Watched 2 of their games now.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008

If you are playing butterfly you are getting into position as soon as you are square with the shooter. Especially when you won't be able to react to the shot. When you are in that position you have to hope he isn't sniping it, and Seguin unfortunately was able to.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It only applies to Frk and our first line, Frk played nearly 4 minutes less than Mantha. First line obviously played the most.

Frk, Mantha, and Larkin led in PP time, but it was really close

Over the course of a larger sample size, there tends to be a certain asymmetry in the playing time of PP units that tilts total ice time in favor of first line/unit players. I think a lot of specialty team play in general hurts Mantha's playing time. For this reason I am more interested in comparing ES shifts than anything if we are going to talk about relative ice time.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Over the course of a larger sample size, there tends to be a certain asymmetry in the playing time of PP units that tilts total ice time in favor of first line/unit players. I think a lot of specialty team play in general hurts Mantha's playing time. For this reason I am more interested in comparing ES shifts than anything if we are going to talk about relative ice time.

One soft goal and 2 semi soft goals.

3 RD goal was very soft.
1st and 2nd semi soft.

1st he should/could be on the top of the c crease. He is too deep. You do not see the shot you just go out and try to make yourself big.
2nd is a perfect shot and he actually can't be blamed, but he does not have to go down so early .

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yes, and they received the 2nd line ES time. Frans and Helm only had about 11 mins of ES.

The thing people complaining about Frk and Abby randomly swapping need to understand is that it usually comes after a PK and Blash wants to get Abby a shift. Is that ideal? No, not at all, but Abby isn't PKing much outside of a killer being in the box anymore.
That's one thing we don't see for a player like AA, much to our frustration, when his linemates sat after PKs he had to wait til the next shift with them. Which is absolutely stupid because AA can break a shift wide open, Abby can just go out there and try to compliment his line mates.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I'm not sure I care about his numbers last night.

Seguin's goal could never be saved by any human being, the first was flukey but I guess you can put it on Mrazek, the last goal was downright bad - but he played really well after that.

It's just fashionable (and obnoxious as hell) to just go "hurr durr softie" and "trash goalie" when pucks go in.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
One soft goal and 2 semi soft goals.

3 RD goal was very soft.
1st and 2nd semi soft.

1st he should/could be on the top of the c crease. He is too deep. You do not see the shot you just go out and try to make yourself big.
2nd is a perfect shot and he actually can't be blamed, but he does not have to go down so early .
He was too deep on the first? It hit off the post and bounced off him. Even if he was a little further out he isn't stopping that.
Second, if he can't be blamed, how is it a semi-soft goal? Goaltenders allow goals, sometimes. What exactly is a non-soft goal to you?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
To imply the Seguin goal was in any way Mrazek's fault is insane. That's just a great goal.

Unfortunately the third one was a terrible goal to let in, and turned out to be the backbreaker.

Reactions: TheMule93

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
To imply the Seguin goal was in any way Mrazek's fault is insane. That's just a great goal.

Unfortunately the third one was a terrible goal to let in, and turned out to be the backbreaker.

Yep. that Seguin-goal was absolutely just perfect Brett Hull -level of onetimer on the goal. You can't shot it any better. Hard, up (did hit the crossbar) and one-timed from cross-ice pass.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

You talking to me? I admitted it was a great shot. If Mrazek played it perfectly it probably still would have went in. All i did was ask a goalie fundamentals question: DID Mrazek play it perfectly?

If asking a simple question offends you feel free to ignore me.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
You talking to me? I admitted it was a great shot. If Mrazek played it perfectly it probably still would have went in. All i did was ask a goalie fundamentals question: DID Mrazek play it perfectly?

I think he played it about as well as we should expect. You think differently?

I mean, I suppose arguing about goaltenders over somewhat meaningless situations is a Detroit past-time.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Nope! Wasn't referring to you. Your question was totally polite. Sorry for any confusion.

Someone else referred to the Seguin goal as "semi-soft."

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I think he played it about as well as we should expect. You think differently?

I mean, I suppose arguing about goaltenders over somewhat meaningless situations is a Detroit past-time.

I mean, everything anyone posts on hfboards is meaningless, so i might as well ask questions that interest me.

I just wondered if being on your knees so early when the puck is so far out is standard procedure. It seems to me you could cover a couple more inches without sacrificing anything. But like i said, i am not a goalie expert.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
He was too deep on the first? It hit off the post and bounced off him. Even if he was a little further out he isn't stopping that.
Second, if he can't be blamed, how is it a semi-soft goal? Goaltenders allow goals, sometimes. What exactly is a non-soft goal to you?
It was a perfect shot, but not unstoppable. He had maybe 10% a chance to stop it.
3rd goal he had like 99,9% a chance to stop it.
2nd 20%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad