Red Dead Redemption 2 - Reder and Deader

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I'm on my third. My second was to get 100 percent completion which took me about 6 months. This one is to see or do anything...if there is anything left....to do. Just enjoy it. Next I wanna do a bad arthur. I get it, that it's hard to have low honor because the story tries hard to make you wanna do good, but I've been a good arthur enough that this time, I just wanna be a killer.

Congrats man. Ive actually never got 100%.

Im finishing up my 9th play through.

I dont really play video games, I just play RDR2 (and a little bit of NHL). I get 2 "cowboy nights" a week, one on work night and one on weekend where I stay up til 3-4 am.

A beautiful way to escape the grind of work/family/mortgage/life by drinking some drinks, smoking some smoke and riding around

My 45th birthday party was RDR2 themed lol ... balloons, banners, table toppers, cake topper etc.

My daughter got me a tricorner hat for X mas that looks just like the pirate hat.

Im getting a toy holster soon.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
My current playthrough I am playing evil Arthur. It's so much fun just robbing, shooting, and pillaging anyone I see just for the hell of it.
Bandit challenges were rough on my honor in this playthrough. Went from around 80% good honor to below 50%. Might as well keep doing that route at this point.

Reactions: Neil Racki

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Bandit challenges were rough on my honor in this playthrough. Went from around 80% good honor to below 50%. Might as well keep doing that route at this point.
Just walk around St. Denis greeting strangers for 20 minutes and you'll be back at 100% honor.

HEY MISTER
HELLO THERE MISTER
HI FRIEND
HEY MISTER

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Just walk around St. Denis greeting strangers for 20 minutes and you'll be back at 100% honor.

HEY MISTER
HELLO THERE MISTER
HI FRIEND
HEY MISTER
That would balance things out, considering how many times I've left Saint Denis with a bounty because I keep accidentally running everyone over with my horse.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Bought the RDR for ps5

its good, its actually playable vs the older version which I would try and go 10 mins before having to shut it off

yee haw!

Is the online play still ass?
Maybe .. join me and lets ride

gregggamble443

But you gotta talk in a cowboy voice and ya gotta be a bit degenerate. Like good guy degenerate but into bad things.

I have a natural twang to my voice anyway

• Haha
Reactions: SimGrindcore

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I just did my third try at the horseman 9 challenge, where you have to ride from Van Horn to Blackwater within 17 minutes. Time wise there's nothing hard about it, but I stupidly ran into some rocks and fell over which resets the challenge. Now I was essentially on the last straight towards Blackwater and tried to pass some guy on a horse. For no apparent reason he does a sharp turn just as I'm about to pass and I run into him and we both fall over. I burned the guy and his horse to death and rage quit the game.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I just did my third try at the horseman 9 challenge, where you have to ride from Van Horn to Blackwater within 17 minutes. Time wise there's nothing hard about it, but I stupidly ran into some rocks and fell over which resets the challenge. Now I was essentially on the last straight towards Blackwater and tried to pass some guy on a horse. For no apparent reason he does a sharp turn just as I'm about to pass and I run into him and we both fall over. I burned the guy and his horse to death and rage quit the game.
The only challenges I legit hated were the gambler ones because so many of them were just completely dependent on luck. It's been like 3 years since I 100%'d it but I remember having to sit there and play poker hands for like 3 hours until I won 5 hands in a row or whatever the challenge was for that.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The only challenges I legit hated were the gambler ones because so many of them were just completely dependent on luck. It's been like 3 years since I 100%'d it but I remember having to sit there and play poker hands for like 3 hours until I won 5 hands in a row or whatever the challenge was for that.
Yeah those were awful. Especially the one where you have to win 3 hands of blackjack with 5 or more cards. I listened to hours of podcasts while mindlessly tapping X on my controller.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The second last thing I did in RDR 2 was earn the platinum:

Red Dead Redemption 2_20230718142818.jpg

The last thing I did was turn around, whistle for my horse and throw a petrol bomb at it. When it died I quit and uninstalled.

• Wow

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Horse movement is a little sloppy around dangerous areas. I'm too used to my magic steed from Elden Ring where I can double jump everywhere. The horse i spent $450 on slipped into a lake and drowned so now I'm back to my original horse. I don't notice much difference in quality to be honest.

Something i've noticed the more I play, the horse and the carbine I'm given in the beginning of the game seem to be more than good enough to carry me through so far.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
My wife has a bit of ocd or some acronym in her

For gambler 8 etc I have her do it, she'll sit there for an hour just clicking the same 3 buttons.

-----------------

I ride the horse you get from Hosea bear mission in ch 2 until the end.

-----

RDR is good man, I can play for 3-4 hours and it feels like maybe 30 mins have passed.

Sucks cuz you turn it on around 9 pm and next thing you know its 2 am and youre out of beer.

----

Tonight Im gonna do my last fire of the winter season in my fire place and play some RDR

Wear my tri corner hat, my woven poncho and get into it man.

-------------------

Ultimate experience is when theres fresh snow outside, I have my curtains for my back doors/window open so you have a great view of blanket of snow .. to the right of that is my huge mounted TV, to the right of that is my fiereplace w a roaring fire, right of that is a lite up christmas

One night I had this perfect set up above ^^^ .. . then deer came walking slowly by the ridge right behind my back yard and Im arthur in the snowy mountains looking at some f***ing deer

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
RDR2 is amazing... unfortunately I can't ever muscle through St Denis. As soon as the story gets there and the magically spawning cops every half block I just get completely sucked out of the fun game play and I stall out. Three times over the lifespan of the game.

Sep 19, 2008
I started playing again, I purchased this game a few months ago but advanced really slowly. Finally reached Chapter 2 where they set up camp and shaved Arthur's beard off

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
RDR2 is amazing... unfortunately I can't ever muscle through St Denis. As soon as the story gets there and the magically spawning cops every half block I just get completely sucked out of the fun game play and I stall out. Three times over the lifespan of the game.
I find the second half of the game to be emotionally draining. Like GTAV is so lightheartedly chaotic that I can just play through it over and over. But you definitely need a break before replaying RDR2 with all the gutpunches in the storyline as the gang falls apart. The bank heist mission in Saint Denis is incredibly hard to get through.

Reactions: Bocephus86

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Only a little to go till 100% completion. Need a few perks, the hunting requests and the exotics. One thing about this game is that when you need an animal carcass, you can guarantee that that specific species will instantly go extinct. And once you finally find one there's zero chance it's a perfect carcass.

By the way I might be a bit of an idiot. I've only now just realized I don't need to unlock all the perks for max health, stamina and dead eye. I can just purchase all the reinforced equipment since I've done all the challenges.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Playing through Chapter 2 and drawing heat in Valentine and Blackwater but at least the guy is rescued from those Pinkerton goons

First time running that mission following the waypoint I didn't know Charles and Trelawney were on the cliff, I just barged into Blackwater and drew so much heat :laugh:

The amount of detail they put into this game is amazing. Stores are closed, the saloon isn't open in the mornings and you barge in and see the guy just sweeping up the floor. I went to the gunsmith and he said "You're the guy who got in that big fight last night aren't you?" "Who's asking?"

I will notice though I did shoot a deer and drag it back to the camp, I'm not sure how to contribute this to the camp food supply.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Playing through Chapter 2 and drawing heat in Valentine and Blackwater but at least the guy is rescued from those Pinkerton goons

First time running that mission following the waypoint I didn't know Charles and Trelawney were on the cliff, I just barged into Blackwater and drew so much heat :laugh:

The amount of detail they put into this game is amazing. Stores are closed, the saloon isn't open in the mornings and you barge in and see the guy just sweeping up the floor. I went to the gunsmith and he said "You're the guy who got in that big fight last night aren't you?" "Who's asking?"

I will notice though I did shoot a deer and drag it back to the camp, I'm not sure how to contribute this to the camp food supply.
It's the butcher/cleaver icon at the camp, there's a table where you can donate food.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Getting very near to 100% completion, and I can safely say that the exotics gathering side quests are the biggest load of bullshit in this game.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Getting very near to 100% completion, and I can safely say that the exotics gathering side quests are the biggest load of bullshit in this game.
They're alright, there's a route you can take through the swamps that spawns everything you need. There are at least five other things needed for 100% that are more obnoxious than those.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
They're alright, there's a route you can take through the swamps that spawns everything you need. There are at least five other things needed for 100% that are more obnoxious than those.
I can't get any of the egret spawns to work reliably for whatever reason. I just keep running to ducks everywhere. Didn't have nearly this much trouble at any of the hunting challenges nor the hunting requests.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I can't get any of the egret spawns to work reliably for whatever reason. I just keep running to ducks everywhere. Didn't have nearly this much trouble at any of the hunting challenges nor the hunting requests.
You can find all (or almost all) of the birds in one place:

1710271967251.png

I thought I had followed a video for this but maybe not. Go to that point on the map at noon, there will be a bunch of birds. Shoot and collect whatever you can, then ride to Rhodes, fast travel to Emerald Station and make a camp. Sleep for as long as you can and go back to that spot.

Of all the things I had to grind the stuff that was basically random (like literally all the animal spawns you mentioned) was infuriating. If I knew I could make something appear, that was alright.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad