Records that are unbreakable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
no record is unbreakable. we've had under 100 years of nhl hockey and already we've seen players like howe, orr, gretzky, lemieux, richard. if the nhl continues for another 100 or 200 years, what's the likelihood that players of this caliber will emerge? pretty darn likely. there will be offensive and defensive periods in the nhl, just like there has always been, so people will put up huge numbers again someday. only 25 years ago people were likely wondering if they would see another talent like howe or lafleur ever again. then gretzky and lemieux showed up. it'll happen again.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Dark Metamorphosis said:
no record is unbreakable. we've had under 100 years of nhl hockey and already we've seen players like howe, orr, gretzky, lemieux, richard. if the nhl continues for another 100 or 200 years, what's the likelihood that players of this caliber will emerge? pretty darn likely. there will be offensive and defensive periods in the nhl, just like there has always been, so people will put up huge numbers again someday. only 25 years ago people were likely wondering if they would see another talent like howe or lafleur ever again. then gretzky and lemieux showed up. it'll happen again.
I agree - people tend to equate "never" with "my lifetime". It may take 50 or 100 years, but there will be another Gretzky-level talent in the game someday.

The exceptions to this are records that won't be broken due to systemic changes in the game. Glenn Hall's 502 consecutive games is the only one that falls into this category for me. It will likely never be broken because the game will likely never return to a one-goalie system, and even if by chance they do someday, that guy would still have to be 100% healthy for 6-7 seasons.

Ogopogo*

Dark Metamorphosis said:

Good post. :clap:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Mat said:
lemieux would have passed it if it wasn't for his countless injuries and 3 year retirement

Goals? - Probably

Points? - Highly unlikely

Assists? - Not a chance

type_v

Aug 3, 2005
Toronto
I know one that truly is impossible.
The Rocket scored and played the most minutes with a bleeding head and a concussion. There wont ever be a health coach (or whatever theyre called) who would let a player on the ice the way Richard did, no matter how important the game is.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Two "unbreakables" that haven't been mentioned yet -

Bill Mosienko's 3 goals in 21 seconds.

The Isle's 19 consecutive playoff series victories. In this capped out, young UFA world, those kinds of 70's and 80's dynasties are a thing of the past. Winning a cup and keeping a team together will be difficult. Winning 2 or 3 or 4 Cups in a row is a virtual impossibility.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Garbs said:
Werd to yo motha. That's the one that came directly to mind when I saw the thread. Ironman records are never broken.

...and that's why Cal Ripken Jr. broke Lou Gherig record...

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
...and for the record, what about the career shutouts by Terry Sawchuck? 103 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man! Roy end his career with 66!!!

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
interminded said:
I´m not counting on it, but let´s have a look after this season.
There´s seems to be a new kid on the block... somewhere in Pittsburgh... ;)

Just to put Selanne's 76 goals as a rookie in some perspective here is how some of the greatest goal scorers in the history of the league fared their rookie season...

Gordie Howe 7 goals in 58 games
Rocket Richard 32 goals in 46 games (not sure if they still counted him as a rookie; he scored 5 goals in 16 games the prior season)
Bobby Hull 13 goals in 70 games
Mike Bossy 53 goals in 73 games
Wayne Gretzky 51 goals in 79 games (wasn't counted as a rookie because of 43 goals in 72 games in the WHA the prior season as a 17 year old)
Mario Lemieux 43 goals in 73 games

Selanne himself has never scored more than 52 goals in a season since then.

And maybe the most impressive part, Selanne's 76 goals is 23 more than anyone else as a rookie.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
LePoche69 said:
...and for the record, what about the career shutouts by Terry Sawchuck? 103 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man! Roy end his career with 66!!!

Actually there's a solid chance that that one falls this decade.. he plays in New Jersey. It would have been a better chance without the lockout, but at 33 years old he's already at 75. 5 a year (a modest pace) requires him to play until 39, 7 a year means 37. Maybe shutouts become slightly scarcer in the "new" NHL, but he's definitely got a shot at it.

Bucky Katt

Aug 30, 2005
Vancouver
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe at one time in the very early days of the NHL, OT was decided like it is in soccer where you play the entire period and it is not sudden death. As such, there were records such as most overtime goals by one player in a game that won't be broken due to the change in OT format.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Bucky Katt said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe at one time in the very early days of the NHL, OT was decided like it is in soccer where you play the entire period and it is not sudden death. As such, there were records such as most overtime goals by one player in a game that won't be broken due to the change in OT format.
that isn't true, overtime used to be non-existant, it was never like soccer.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
With the new parity in the NHL will we ever see numbers like these again?

Fewest losses (at least 70 game schedule)
Montreal 1976/77 with 8

or most losses.
71-San Jose Sharks, 1992-93

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Hall's 502 consecutive games as a goalie.

Steve Yzerman's 18 years as a captain!

Gretzky's 163 assists in a season. Won't be touched until real live players are no longer used, just video game players.

Sawchuk's 103 shoutouts. Marty Brodeur may come close, but he would still need 29 more in the next 5 or 6 years to do it.

Selanne's 76 goals as a rookie!

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Hedberg said:
No. The format of the league has changed now. No goalie will ever play every game for 6 straight seasons.

Well, fine. But I think a lot of those scoring records aren't as untouchable as they seem right now. Things do change.

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
Bruins playoffs : I think it was 25 consecutive playoffs participation.

That will be real hard with 30 teams and a payroll cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad