Records that are unbreakable

Status
Not open for further replies.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Numbers have to be taken into context. Yeah, 44 in 20 looks amazing on paper, but Cy Denneny was only a few goals behind that year. Gretzky had 50 before anybody else had 30. Not to take away from Malone, he was a dominant player, I guess a generational talent for his era, but his records certainly aren't Gretzky-calibre.

The 7 goals thing will stand for a looooong time though. But guys played entire games back then, scoring was very high for a few years, and the rosters were very small.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Wetcoaster said:
Gordie Howe's record of playing in 5 different decades in the NHL (1940-50-60-70-80)

Let's hope that everyone's pride kicks in and nobody even attempts that one. I loved Gordie Howe but that was a sideshow that his brilliant career didn't need.

I don't see anyone touching Tiger Williams PIMs record. The rules have been changed to make sure that never happens. We'll have to wait and see how the new rules change the offensive #'s. Some of those may be attainable again???

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Steelhead16 said:
Let's hope that everyone's pride kicks in and nobody even attempts that one. I loved Gordie Howe but that was a sideshow that his brilliant career didn't need.
That he played NHL hockey in 79-80 was a fluke. He was playing in the WHA with his sons(and playing well) when the two leagues merged, after retiring from the NHL after the 70-71 season.

That IHL game to add the 90's to his pro hockey career in 97-98 was a sideshow.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
norrisnick said:
That he played NHL hockey in 79-80 was a fluke. He was playing in the WHA with his sons(and playing well) when the two leagues merged, after retiring from the NHL after the 70-71 season.

That IHL game to add the 90's to his pro hockey career in 97-98 was a sideshow.

I'm good with all of it except for the "Viper Shift". And no I don't think anyone else will do 5 decades. 4 is a possibility if someone starts in a "9" year and ends in a "0" year (1999-2020 eg.) 5 will be a stretch because I think the money is so much better that nobody will have to do it. Oh, and you would have to play for 30+ years. That hurts to just think about.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Steelhead16 said:
I'm good with all of it except for the "Viper Shift". And no I don't think anyone else will do 5 decades. 4 is a possibility if someone starts in a "9" year and ends in a "0" year (1999-2020 eg.) 5 will be a stretch because I think the money is so much better that nobody will have to do it. Oh, and you would have to play for 30+ years. That hurts to just think about.

Messier is in his 4th decade of NHL hockey. If i'm not mistaken, he was a member of the Oilers when they merged in 1979-80. The question is, can he hang around for another 4 years :amazed:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
someguy44 said:
Malone had 44 goals in 20 games, which is a lot more impressive than Gretzky's 50 in 39. Granted, Malone played in the 1910's and 1920's, but he's still classified as a NHLer! Perhaps, he should be ranked up there with the likes of Lemieux, Orr, Howe, Gretzky, etc...

True, but back in the first few years of the NHL, star players got around 50 minutes of ice-time per game. Malone only played 20 games but at 50 minutes per game, that's 0.044 goals per minute.

Gretzky got 50 in 39 playing around 30 minutes per game. That works out to 0.043 goals per minute, so the numbers (on a per-minute basis) work out to be almost the same.

Also, Malone's era was even higher-scoring than Gretzky's era. When Malone was in the NHL, the league routinely averaged 8+ goals per game! That's only been matched twice: 1944 and 1982.

For whatever it's worth my adjusted-for-era numbers show Malone as a very good goal-scorer, but the fact that he got so much ice-time in such a high-scoring era weighs against him. I have him ranked as the 37th most dominant goal-scorer of all-time (between Tim Kerr and Michel Goulet).

----

It's already been mentioned, but nobody will ever break Hall's 502 consecutive games. The NHL can last for 1,000 years and that record will still stand.

Last edited:

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Gretzky's Assist record will probably not be broken ever... but I think the Goals record is possible

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
arrbez said:
Messier is in his 4th decade of NHL hockey. If i'm not mistaken, he was a member of the Oilers when they merged in 1979-80. The question is, can he hang around for another 4 years :amazed:

I guess he'd just have to play a couple of games per year for it to count.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Big Phil said:
Mario Lemieux's 5 goals in a game 5 different ways (PP, SH, EN, ES, PS). The only five ways you can score. This wasn't planned by Lemieux but even if anyone had the oppurtunity they have to be pretty special to do this.

Our beloved league added another way for this coming season, although they won't show on the scoring list.

Pocket's 11 cups will be extremely tough to ever duplicate or surpass. There are just too many teams and the effort it takes to win 16 playoff games.

50 goals in 39 games would take a more offensive style of play and a goal scorer the level of Lemieux, Gretzky, Bossy, etc. I guess it's possible but it would be a heckuva feat in today's style of play.

Gretzky's 2875 points is an awesome total. I doubt that will be broken in my lifetime.

Scotty Bowman's 1244 wins and 9 cups look very impressive.

teemu Selanne's 76 goals for a rookie should be safe for awhile.

Orr's 102 assists for a dman will awfully tough to break.

Ray Bourque's 17 years as a first or second all star was an awesome run. (is it the record?)

No one has come close to George Hainsworth's 22 shutouts. Of course that was another era/set of rules.

Darryl Sittler's 10 points in a game as held up for a long time.

With all the records one of the most basic is seldom mentioned and has stood since 1920...Joe Malone's 7 goals in a game.

Last edited:

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
I'll go with Glenn Hall for longevity, but here's one that will be equally unreachable (at least for two generations):

1351 (and counting): goals by a father-son combo (Bobby/Brett Hull).

Think one of the Gretzky boys will pick up a stick and score over 450 goals? This one is safe for at least 50 years. Who over 500 goals even has children playing pro hockey? If this is ever broken, the father may not even be playing hockey yet, let alone the son.

interminded

Aug 10, 2005
Netherlands
Chili said:
teemu Selanne's 76 goals for a rookie should be safe for awhile.

I´m not counting on it, but let´s have a look after this season.
There´s seems to be a new kid on the block... somewhere in Pittsburgh... ;)

Mat

Masao said:
Well Gretzky had 137 as a rookie. I don't care if he was in the WHA the year before... he was younger than Teemu was in his rookie year.

note: the WHL isn't the NHL

Mat

mr gib said:
gretzky's career points - untouchable

lemieux would have passed it if it wasn't for his countless injuries and 3 year retirement

so i wouldn't say its untouchable, its just gonna be a while before someone gets it

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
1970-71 season Bobby Orr had a plus/minus of +124. That record will never be threatened. Only one other player has even come close and that was Larry Robinson in 76-77 when he was a +120
Gretz's best year was a +98 in 84/85

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
With the introduction of the shootout and the salary cap,Philly's 35 game unbeaten streak would be pretty hard to beat.

blamebettman*

Brian Bouchers 5 consecutive shutouts

BRIAN BOUCHER! how the hell did this happen?

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
blamebettman said:
Brian Bouchers 5 consecutive shutouts

BRIAN BOUCHER! how the hell did this happen?

Exactly. If it can happen with Brian Boucher, it can happen again.

PACaptain

Jul 4, 2005
Road to the Repeat
I know its a one game record, but Lemieux's 5 goals 5 ways seems like it will stand forever. Think of all the different scenarios that have to take place for someone to achieve this. 5 goals in a game is rare enough at this point, probably only happens a handful of times in a season. The game has to be close enough where the opposing team pulls their goalie, so that means at least 7 combined goals before the empty net. The player who scores the five goals must get and convert a penalty shot, which are rare in the NHL. The scoring player must also play both on the power play and penalty kill where they need to score.

Point being that's a lot of different things to happen and it would take a special player in a special game to do all of that and I don't believe I'll see it in my lifetime. That said Sidney Crosby does it in the second week of November.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
interminded said:
I´m not counting on it, but let´s have a look after this season.
There´s seems to be a new kid on the block... somewhere in Pittsburgh... ;)

...who would be lucky to even get a half of that total.

KariyaIsGod*

Mat said:
lemieux would have passed it if it wasn't for his countless injuries and 3 year retirement

so i wouldn't say its untouchable, its just gonna be a while before someone gets it

And he wouldn't have even come close if it wasn't for Wayne's injuries too...

Wayne has even passed Mario in PPG now...

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
PACaptain said:
I know its a one game record, but Lemieux's 5 goals 5 ways seems like it will stand forever. Think of all the different scenarios that have to take place for someone to achieve this. 5 goals in a game is rare enough at this point, probably only happens a handful of times in a season. The game has to be close enough where the opposing team pulls their goalie, so that means at least 7 combined goals before the empty net. The player who scores the five goals must get and convert a penalty shot, which are rare in the NHL. The scoring player must also play both on the power play and penalty kill where they need to score.

Point being that's a lot of different things to happen and it would take a special player in a special game to do all of that and I don't believe I'll see it in my lifetime. That said Sidney Crosby does it in the second week of November.

Well, if goals scored during a shoot-out count as a penalty shot goal, there is an increased chance of it happening, although, not by much. It requires a game to have an empty net goal, and a shoot-out, meaning, the opposing team would have to score two goals after being scored on an empty net, to come back and tie the game. The only other way is if a team pulls their goalie in a delayed penalty situation, and scores on their own net, with the goal being credited to the appropriate person on the other team.

Still, I think you're right, you need a really special player having a really special game for this to happen again. Thinking about, it makes you really appreciate what Lemieux did that one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad