Post-Game Talk: Record Setting 4-3 OT Win

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Blackwell is a better pickup than even a healthy Foligno.

Change my mind. :)
Nice pickup. Liked what I saw from Blackwell on Seattle, if Kase isn’t re-signed I think Blackwell could fill that void no problem. He reminds me of a right handed Kerfoot.

Reactions: Duffman955

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
They did dominate though they weren't as aggressive in the third with the 1 goal lead.

The first goal Campbell overplayed the puck and let it get through.

The second goal, mid-line change, the Leafs got caught in their own zone and a missed defensive assignment (due to a tired Marner and Bunting) left Klingberg wide open for a cross ice one timer that Campbell had no chance

The third was a bit unlucky. Dallas kept the puck in at the point (I think Nylander and some other forwards did too much of a fly by and missed ensuring they got the puck out) but the point shot was from the top of the circle at the half-wall.

That shot was going 5 feet wide bit Pavelski (despite having his stick tied up) deflected it 3.5' in the air and it deflected into the net (Campbell at no chance). What was wild on that play is how the puck deflected off of his stick, it was off the shaft and hit on the perfect spot that kicked the puck left and hard.
Watching that third goal live I said to myself what a lucky tip that was. Then I saw it was Pavelski and he's been so damn good at that for years.

Incredible that he was able to get so much wood on that considering how hard and wide it was going. Can't really blame Campbell on that one like you said.

Campbell looked pretty good to me other than that weird first goal.

Reactions: Zacman and zeke

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Muzzin looked a step quicker out there. I think he’s closer to a 3rd pair d-man now and that’s fine, he’s more than capable as long as he’s not paired with Holl.
Absolutely okay he would be a 3rd pairing guy for us. Just means our roster is stronger than it ever has been.

I think the coach has a real dilemma with the final D setup. Imo, we have 8 guys that can play and contribute in their own way... it will come down to pairings and flexibility.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Absolutely okay he would be a 3rd pairing guy for us. Just means our roster is stronger than it ever has been.

I think the coach has a real dilemma with the final D setup. Imo, we have 8 guys that can play and contribute in their own way... it will come down to pairings and flexibility.

No idea how many minutes Gio can put in in the playoffs and how much of a toll each series (fingers crossed) will take on him. Keefe needs to manage Gio and Muzz's minutes in order to get the best out of them. Wouldn't mind seeing Gio and Brodie play a few shifts together.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Holl has picked a bad time to have two bad games. I imagine Lilly is in for him next game and it might not change for a while after that.

Not worried for the Leafs - the team and dcorps is so good that they can afford to carry a specific role player like Boosh if they're smart about usage.

i'm more worried for Leafs fans though - with Holl out of the lineup, who will their Scapegoat be?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Man, people have high expectations for Goalies.

1st one he could have had, partially blocked shot, goes straight to Seguin, off his stick and in. It's an awkward goal off an awkward play. Could he have had it? Sure, but for me that's just one of those weird plays that happen.

2nd one, that's all on defending.
View attachment 528345
This is at the moment Pavelski makes the pass to Klingberg. Campbell has to look through to his left around 4 players to track the puck, including Marner who completely abandoned his man who is wide open just outside the screen in the slot.

The pass goes across to Cambell's right and he can't get there, hard pass, takes an extra beat to pick it up through traffic and has to start off on the wrong side to see through the traffic. If he reads it better he gets there quicker and has a chance, but very difficult to do with that traffic in front. Cover your man, don't give teams layups.
View attachment 528348

3rd goal, I'm not sure how you can possibly fault Campbell for, its a hard shot from an angle going 2 feet wide across the front of the crease and Pavelski deflects it around him. I don't know what you could possibly expect him to do differently. Play super deep in the net maybe it hits him?
He has clear sight of the pass. Reacted late.
I expect a goalie like Wedgewood. He teaches that puck like it was glowing and had an alarm going off.
I'm hoping Campbell gets it together but last night he was chasing the puck around

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Nice pickup. Liked what I saw from Blackwell on Seattle, if Kase isn’t re-signed I think Blackwell could fill that void no problem. He reminds me of a right handed Kerfoot.
Ironically, it's Kerfoot who I think he's going to replace.

Reactions: TheShape

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
What? Lmao He always does that hand gesture with the finger wiggling to the crowd. How the f**k is that showboating? Ovechkin celebrates in crazy fashion, no one whines about that.

According to the Habs fan who's obsessed with the Leafs on the main board it makes him a weirdo. 🤣

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
@riffle ?

Do I have my wires crossed?
Yeah, it was me.

Came, in shame, to update my profile status... and saw the alert so I wanted to respond.

Even worse, I had an offer of a pair of FREE tix around 3pm and turned them down. I've really been suffering through something that is pretty alarming to me, so much so that I declined to go to the game knowing what was going to happen with Matthews, but not as much as the team.

Do I regret it? No. If I felt it was sensible to go out feeling as I do, I would've. I only wish I was feeling better.

And, I didn't think they were going to lose, I just wasn't sure how they would rebound from the Florida loss and didn't want to drop a chunk of change to see a potential spiraling loss. The free tix offer would've protected against that. Really wanted to go. Haven't seen a live game since the Leafs were here back in 2020.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
Like has anyone told them that the marketing focus group was just joking and they thought it was obvious?

Worst jerseys I’ve ever seen I think.

Hey Dallas, Fresh Prince and Jazz called, they want their '88 video back

IMO 2 of Edmonton's current jerseys are the ugliest in the league

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Like has anyone told them that the marketing focus group was just joking and they thought it was obvious?

Worst jerseys I’ve ever seen I think.

Hey Dallas, Fresh Prince and Jazz called, they want their '88 video back
I thought there was something wrong with my TV!!

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Just a note. Leafs clinch a playoff spot if Carolina beats the Islanders in regulation.

Gotta like the odds of that result.
For all the naysaying, it’s damn impressive the Leafs are here now, in total control of 2nd in the Atlantic and poised to likely become just the 4th team in the entire league to clinch their spot

Zacman

Dec 14, 2009
They did dominate though they weren't as aggressive in the third with the 1 goal lead.

The first goal Campbell overplayed the puck and let it get through.

The second goal, mid-line change, the Leafs got caught in their own zone and a missed defensive assignment (due to a tired Marner and Bunting) left Klingberg wide open for a cross ice one timer that Campbell had no chance

The third was a bit unlucky. Dallas kept the puck in at the point (I think Nylander and some other forwards did too much of a fly by and missed ensuring they got the puck out) but the point shot was from the top of the circle at the half-wall.

That shot was going 5 feet wide bit Pavelski (despite having his stick tied up) deflected it 3.5' in the air and it deflected into the net (Campbell at no chance). What was wild on that play is how the puck deflected off of his stick, it was off the shaft and hit on the perfect spot that kicked the puck left and hard.
Pavelski has been doing that for many years. Unbelievable hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad