Post-Game Talk: Record Setting 4-3 OT Win

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
How do you say anything but wow.

Just give him the Hart now. And the Rocket. And the Lindsay. And the Selke. Just throw all the MFing awards at this man.

One of the most dominant games that I've ever seen anybody play.
He wanted that record goal, and he would not be denied.
He wanted that OT GWG, and he would not be denied.

Best goal scorer in the entire cap era.

Generational.

He's the best player I've ever seen plain and simple. It's hard to believe but it's the truth and I don't say that lightly.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
the Leaf OT winner thing is impressive too. Sundin leads all time with 14. Matthews already has 9 and he's only 24.

Reactions: Rocker13

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Wow

It's not very often you get to see greatness, it's even more special when the guys playing on the team you love and support

There are no words for just how dominant this kid has become, he's easily the best Leaf I've ever seen and I feel privileged I get to see him now

The boys played well, we dominated that game and the score didn't really reflect that but I would like to see us ease the workload on Campbell over the next couple of weeks

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
Yahoo, but Matthews really needs to quit the showboating. He's going to get absolutely crushed if he keeps doing that.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Alright, last one, this one is for the stoners 20 years ago watching 2am tsn.

Watching Austin dominating a 90’s Roller Games episode, because that’s the only way that uniform makes sense, was an absolute treat.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Appreciate what we have boys. Win or lose, we are so f***ing lucky to have this guy and watch him on a nightly basis. Might not be the most accomplished, but Matthews is hands down the greatest player in Maple Leafs history. We have never had a talent like this, ever.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Just watched the game. Holy f***. That was the best i've ever seen 34 play.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Matthews speed the last 2 years has elevated his game to the next level among other improvements. What a beauty.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Attachments

• crying-marchand.gif
    crying-marchand.gif
    3.3 MB · Views: 3

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I disagree, Tavares was excellent tonight and has been pretty good for a few weeks now, IMO.
Yeah I thought he had a great game even though he didn't score. Had many good looks and was great on the forecheck as well as defensively.

In general our forwards had a very good game and controlled the play outside of a few fourth line blunders. Defense wasn't bad either outside of the Gio-Holl pairing which didn't look very good IMO.

Reactions: definedMF

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
What? Lmao He always does that hand gesture with the finger wiggling to the crowd. How the f**k is that showboating? Ovechkin celebrates in crazy fashion, no one whines about that.
I think his frame is sturdy enough to handle it!

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Congrats to Matthews. If his #50 MT netter was blasé, his march to 55 has been spectacular. His signature wrister tied the record, his deadly one-timer broke it. Add a hat trick and an OT power move that left Leaf Nation laughing and crying at his ridiculous abilities on the way and he’s coming home to a hero’s welcome.

This deserves some
acknowledgement during pre game verses the Habs, but humble Matthews would probably say wait until the end of the season and after the cup is received.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Yeah I thought he had a great game even though he didn't score. Had many good looks and was great on the forecheck as well as defensively.

In general our forwards had a very good game and controlled the play outside of a few fourth line blunders. Defense wasn't bad either outside of the Gio-Holl pairing which didn't look very good IMO.
Careful now, the analytic stat boys are going pull out charts telling us Holl was great. I agree, that pairing looked the weakest.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Only caught the first period but judging by the shots looked like a pretty dominant game.
Campbell let this get to OT?

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Only caught the first period but judging by the shots looked like a pretty dominant game.
Campbell let this get to OT?
The first goal on Campbell was rather weak but otherwise he had a solid game. Didn’t have to do much, we were absolutely dominant for 60 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad