Rebuild/Tanking Thread/Tank Nation Squad GDT #12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
It's better for our future IMO if Stamkos re-signs in Tampa ASAP. That way, the big wigs can't have any illusions about keeping this flawed core and adding Stamkosnto generate hype.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
we're gonna have to draft our 1st line center. People can stop dreaming about any shortcuts in getting a top line center.

It's better for our future IMO if Stamkos re-signs in Tampa ASAP. That way, the big wigs can't have any illusions about keeping this flawed core and adding Stamkosnto generate hype.

I'm sure Stephan will be disappointed. :laugh:

exactly. this is for the best. Sign ASAP, Stamkos (and Babcock) and let's just find the best coach for us - and draft our own freaking centre)

#StromeBarzalZacha

(but i do feel for Stephan) heh

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Good, stay in Tampa Stamkos. Make those 20 odd Tampa fans worship you forever. Leaf Nation wouldn't cherish you at all, even if you did bring the Stanley Cup home to Toronto!

:p:

Would honestly rather be worshiped by "20 odd fans" than a market like Toronto or Montreal.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
exactly. this is for the best. Sign ASAP, Stamkos (and Babcock) and let's just find the best coach for us - and draft our own freaking centre)

#StromeBarzalZacha

nothing wrong with having stamkos, babcock and strome all together in toronto. :D

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Well no ****. Every player in the league watches what is happening to Phil Kessel right now. Why would you want to put yourself in that situation when you can get the same amount of money elsewhere?

Places like Montreal and Toronto are great when you're winning but as soon as you lose everyone is after you. Toronto is an extremely bad situation right now because we haven't even been a playoff team in a decade (82 game season).

Remember Carey Price being booed in a preseason game after Halak was traded? Now it's "Carey! Carey!"

Soon as he stumbles, back to the boo's.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Stamkos chances of coming to Toronto was slim to none. At lot of these players prefer to play in the city that drafted them and in most cases lately, the teams that they are on are becoming better. Same case with Rick Nash and probably Tavares in a few years. There are very few star athletes that would jump there current team for their hometown one, especially in a high media pressure situation here in Toronto or Montreal for that matter.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Wait people actually thought he was coming here?

Why would any player want to be associated with this circus? Same goes for Babcock, why the hell would he tarnish his legacy by coming here? Its not happening people, there is no quick fix for this mess.

Beleafer19

Apr 25, 2013
Well no ****. Every player in the league watches what is happening to Phil Kessel right now. Why would you want to put yourself in that situation when you can get the same amount of money elsewhere?

Places like Montreal and Toronto are great when you're winning but as soon as you lose everyone is after you. Toronto is an extremely bad situation right now because we haven't even been a playoff team in a decade (82 game season).

Remember Carey Price being booed in a preseason game after Halak was traded? Now it's "Carey! Carey!"

Soon as he stumbles, back to the boo's.

Both those cities have the most loyal fans in the world. Just because we boo the players when they are struggling shouldn't deter players from coming here, it's going to happen no matter what team they play for. Again, I repeat we are the most loyal fans, we still show up to the games and buy the merchandise instead of other fans who abandon the team. Players should respect that and want to play for fans like that and maybe even try and win a championship. I will never forgot the last game of the regular season in 93, Gilmour during a ceremonial face off grabbed the mic and told the fans at the Gardens "we will do something special for you guys in the playoffs" and the came so close. That just shows you that he appreciated the fans.

Pay anyone on this board 8 million a year a I think they would be able to take the criticism or change their game in order to succeed.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Anyone who actually thought he was ever coming to Toronto needed this slap in the face from reality. Maybe now the next one from Babcock won't sting as much.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Well, what else is he going to say?

I'll just leave this here

Brian Burke, January 25, 2008

"I have no intention of going anywhere else," says Burke. "I've said this repeatedly to anyone who will listen.

"I'm not sure which part of it I'm not saying in English."

The Toronto job would be great, he said, but he and his wife are happy in California.

"We really love it in Anaheim," Burke said. "We work for special people there. We want to stay."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=375681

On November 29, 2008, Burke was introduced as the president and general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, replacing interim general manager Cliff Fletcher. He became the 13th non-interim general manager of the club and the first to be American-born. He reportedly agreed to a six-year deal worth $3 million annually. Soon thereafter, on December 4, 2008, Burke offered Dave Nonis the position of senior vice-president and director of hockey operations for the Maple Leafs; Nonis accepted, marking the third time he has held this post under Burke; he had done so previously in Anaheim and Vancouver.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Burke_(ice_hockey)#President_and_GM_of_the_Toronto_Maple_Leafs

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Wait people actually thought he was coming here?

Why would any player want to be associated with this circus? Same goes for Babcock, why the hell would he tarnish his legacy by coming here? Its not happening people, there is no quick fix for this mess.

Because fixing this team would make him a legend. I don't think it'll happen, but to dismiss it entirely is a bit shortsighted imo.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Stamkos should have announced his intentions of signing long term in Toronto tbh

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Both those cities have the most loyal fans in the world. Just because we boo the players when they are struggling shouldn't deter players from coming here, it's going to happen no matter what team they play for. Again, I repeat we are the most loyal fans, we still show up to the games and buy the merchandise instead of other fans who abandon the team. Players should respect that and want to play for fans like that and maybe even try and win a championship. I will never forgot the last game of the regular season in 93, Gilmour during a ceremonial face off grabbed the mic and told the fans at the Gardens "we will do something special for you guys in the playoffs" and the came so close. That just shows you that he appreciated the fans.

Pay anyone on this board 8 million a year a I think they would be able to take the criticism or change their game in order to succeed.

Loyal fans? Or annoying? Jersey throwing, online harassers aren't loyal. They're trash. Don't overrate our fanbase. Stamkos probably took a look and chose a more rationale climate to play in.

We haven't earned this sense of entitlement of "best fans in the world". Look at how hard it is to sign premium UFAs. They don't want to come here. When we have elite athletes like Kessel who sign longterm they get harassed and insulted by our scum media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad