Speculation: Realistic LW trade targets this offseason

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
preach it man... i got so bummed down after "my draft class" got picked, and these talks of newer and younger guns started to emerge

Kids, pls stop whining. You are lucky to be so young. I have Hockey News Draft Previews from before you were born! 1984 is my oldest one IIRC, LOL!

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Panarin's season could end tonight. Watching recent highlights, he plays in sort of a Briere PP role at the line as a right handed shot on same side as Simmonds and a lot of plays run through him. Could be a help to PP2.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
I'd love to keep Schenn and add Boedker if possible but that deal does make sense. Schenn is a top-6 guy I think. If Eichel is the future 1C and the idea is to have Schenn behind him Where does that leave a 25 yr old Gagne? He's listed as a C but I don't follow so he could play wing(?) I do think Schenn can play the right side if given the chance though.

Insofar as lines are concerned, I think for depth reasons splitting G and Jake is best. If Schenn is moved:

Raffl-G-Simmer
Boedker- Couturier- Jake

is a great top-6 IMO. Read can slide along side Laughton to give him a scorer to feed and I think it helps balance the PP units a bit better letting the 2nd unit have more punch and ease the load.

That is a good looking top 6 indeed. But as was said, Schenn is of no interest to the yotes, Hanzal is a solid 2nd line C who is in his prime years. They need a clear cut no1 center (and will get it with Eichel or McDavid). Think we would have to give up some of our young D prospects to get Boedkker, makes sense with Yandle and Michalek gone. Something I would not be opposed to if we end up drafting Provorov or Werenski.

Schenn-G-Simmonds
Boedker-Couts-Voracek
Read-Laughton-Raffl
White/Cousins-Bellemare-VV/Straka

Having said that, I'm also pulling for Arizona to get McDavid, would really like to see hockey blossom there just to spite the purists.

Last edited:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
^^^ No way in h e double hockey sticks to trading a d prospect for Boedker.

martz11

Mar 5, 2013
PA
That is a good looking top 6 indeed. But as was said, Schenn is of no interest to the yotes, Hanzal is a solid 2nd line C who is in his prime years. They need a clear cut no1 center (and will get it with Eichel or McDavid). Think we would have to give up some of our young D prospects to get Boedkker, makes sense with Yandle and Michalek gone. Something I would not be opposed to if we end up drafting Provorov or Werenski.

Schenn-G-Simmonds
Boedker-Couts-Voracek
Read-Laughton-Raffl

Having said that, I'm also pulling for Arizona to get McDavid, would really like to see hockey blossom there just to spite the purists.

Please stop putting Schenn on the first line. Seriously please.:(

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Please stop putting Schenn on the first line. Seriously please.:(

Also, there's no point in making lines that break up G and Voracek. They just aren't as dangerous apart as they are together. I was in favor of this idea until I saw it in action. Keep them together!

The 1st line next year, barring a trade or our top 10 pick making the team, will be Raffl-Giroux-Voracek. Schenn should be on the 3rd line if anything.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Schenn-G-Simmonds
Boedker-Couts-Voracek
Read-Laughton-Raffl

Finishing 2nd means you have a 66.5% chance of picking 3rd.

kammy

Jun 29, 2007
Any interest in Anaheim's Silfverberg? SJ may blow up the roster after the season. Make a play for Hertl?

Hertl is untouchable I think

would have been nice to trade up and get Teravainen 2 slots before Laughton woulda coulda shoulda

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Any interest in Anaheim's Silfverberg? SJ may blow up the roster after the season. Make a play for Hertl?

I'd be interested in hertl he could be the second line scoring center we need, the kid has crazy skill and talent, however I feel it cost to much, but I'd throw the schenns+ their way to kick tires

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hertl is untouchable I think

would have been nice to trade up and get Teravainen 2 slots before Laughton woulda coulda shoulda

Ugh. That Laughton pick. Really hope he proves conventional wisdom wrong.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Because its Edmonton

I believe they just did a poll in the Edmonton Journal and a resounding amount of fans would be in favor of moving Hall before anyone else on the team. He is someone I would not mind trying to trade for.

I know the Oiler fans won't like it but I try with the Schenn's+Hagg or something like that. Hall would be dynamic with Giroux and Voracek. His contract isn't that bad either.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I believe they just did a poll in the Edmonton Journal and a resounding amount of fans would be in favor of moving Hall before anyone else on the team. He is someone I would not mind trying to trade for.

I know the Oiler fans won't like it but I try with the Schenn's+Hagg or something like that. Hall would be dynamic with Giroux and Voracek. His contract isn't that bad either.

It would take much more than that to land Hall.

I wonder if we could build a package around Laughton (Edmonton would be set at center for 10 years with RNJ, Draisatl, Laughton down the middle) and our 1st for Hall? I know we don't want to trade draft picks but Hall is a player you have to make an exception for.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Hertl has had a tough year this year. Don't get caught in the media hype that came along with him last year. For the others they aren't even in the nhl right now either. I don't know why we are so quick to say Laughton isn't a good player or the others are already better. He is still very much developing

Also, players like hertl and TT were both gone before we drafted. You need two to tango if you want to say why not trade up for them. Flyers really liked TT as well.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If we took Maata everyone would be scared ****less about his health right now, and maybe they don't take another Dman in the third that year.

It would be nice to have a wing like TT but his first NHL season hasn't been much more impressive than Laughton's.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
If we took Maata everyone would be scared ****less about his health right now, and maybe they don't take another Dman in the third that year.

It would be nice to have a wing like TT but his first NHL season hasn't been much more impressive than Laughton's.

We most definitely would, but difficult as it is to discuss the potential of various prospects in the context of a later health issue, I think this matter should only be discussed in terms of 2012's viewpoint.
Our D-core was depleted, our center position was our biggest strenght and yet we reach for a center who was ranked lower then Maata.
Maata goes on to have a great rookie season and shine in the Olympics, the latter is still in juniors and has a sub par U20 WJC.
The same can be said about Bouchnevich, we lacked scoring threat and oh boy do we reach for a player tipe that can be signed every off season for half a mil.
Bouchnevich is now talked about as the Rangers best prospect (imagine how crippled they would be now without Duclair and Pavel on the horizon), and the latter is an overager in the juniors.
My point being, even if Bouchnevich (god forbid) gets into some serious health trouble like Maata down the road, I'd still be advocating him being drafted.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
We most definitely would, but difficult as it is to discuss the potential of various prospects in the context of a later health issue, I think this matter should only be discussed in terms of 2012's viewpoint.
Our D-core was depleted, our center position was our biggest strenght and yet we reach for a center who was ranked lower then Maata.
Maata goes on to have a great rookie season and shine in the Olympics, the latter is still in juniors and has a sub par U20 WJC.
The same can be said about Bouchnevich, we lacked scoring threat and oh boy do we reach for a player tipe that can be signed every off season for half a mil.
Bouchnevich is now talked about as the Rangers best prospect (imagine how crippled they would be now without Duclair and Pavel on the horizon), and the latter is an overager in the juniors.
My point being, even if Bouchnevich (god forbid) gets into some serious health trouble like Maata down the road, I'd still be advocating him being drafted.

Drafting in hindsight is never that helpful. You have scouts and a system for making the list. You have the guys you want for the organization. You take BPA, unless there is an organizational need and the players are equal.

If our excellent scouting team wanted Laughton over Maatta et al, it's really hard to say they were wrong. The Flyers were watching Stolarz's development so they saw a lot of Maatta in London - and didn't want him more than Laughton. The fact that Pitt threw Maatta into the fire and he was pretty good is irrelevant.

Laughton is a smart, fast, skilled, tough character player. I really think he will be a good 2/3 C with Couts to play behind Giroux for a long time. He will score goals, shut down top lines, hit and fight occasionally.

When Laughton, Leier and Lindblom are in the lineup, there is going to be plenty of speed and skill to support the existing forwards. We should also add to that forward mix in this draft, and also add another solid Dman.

Last edited:

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I think Raffl and Read proves you can certainly find decent wingers out there without giving up a lot of assets. If you can trade the Schenns for someone like ROR that would be great thing to do but otherwise it would be best to try and find another unknown player like Raffl. Improving the D will improve the rest of the team.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
I think Raffl and Read proves you can certainly find decent wingers out there without giving up a lot of assets. If you can trade the Schenns for someone like ROR that would be great thing to do but otherwise it would be best to try and find another unknown player like Raffl. Improving the D will improve the rest of the team.

Raffl has a brother who put up decent numbers this year 25 goal 29 assists or sonething like that if I'm not mistaken, Thomas raffl, however I'm not going to lie I know very little to nothing about him, any interest in him?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Raffl has a brother who put up decent numbers this year 25 goal 29 assists or sonething like that if I'm not mistaken, Thomas raffl, however I'm not going to lie I know very little to nothing about him, any interest in him?

He is a very player, bigger than Raffl (he is a monster), really good PP player, solid two way game... but his speed/skating sucks. His IQ is not near his brothers either.

Great player in Europe... not the kind of skillset that would translate to the NHL. In fact I don't think he would have success in better euro leagues either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad