RD Timothy Liljegren - Ex-Rogle BK, SHL (2017, 17th, TOR) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
I don't know, i really hope liljegren pans out and his skating/shots are awesome but i've seen about 12 games of liljegren WJC, WJSS, prospect games, preseason... he always displayed his strenght but in more than a couple games he made a pass straight in the slot on an opponent's stick or fell down when he was the last man on the back end. I saw one day an interview with his old coach saying he has a tendency to overthink it in his zone instead of keeping it simple. I don't think he's bad defensively, he has good gap control and his skating helps him a lot... simply making some big mistakes, that in my opinion can be corrected if he keeps it clean. i was wondering if he was there yet

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
No he definitely should not be lol

I wouldn't be so sure about that. We're playing Rosen as our 7th D and Liljegren never really got the opportunity to show that he's better than Dermott, Rosen etc but I am sure if he was given the opportunity he could have outplayed him for the 7th spot.

The Leafs don't want Liljegren up because they don't want him playing 13-15 mins just so they can say he's an NHL player, they want him to make an instant impact on the lineup when he makes the team permanently like Nylander, Marner etc did.

I believe he's going to be a full timer on the team next season and likely takes one of Gardiner/Rielly's spot on the PP and Carrick's spot on ES.

Reactions: BM14

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I wouldn't be so sure about that. We're playing Rosen as our 7th D and Liljegren never really got the opportunity to show that he's better than Dermott, Rosen etc but I am sure if he was given the opportunity he could have outplayed him for the 7th spot.

The Leafs don't want Liljegren up because they don't want him playing 13-15 mins just so they can say he's an NHL player, they want him to make an instant impact on the lineup when he makes the team permanently like Nylander, Marner etc did.

I believe he's going to be a full timer on the team next season and likely takes one of Gardiner/Rielly's spot on the PP and Carrick's spot on ES.
But that's kind of my point...Him being on the team....I mean sure maybe they could have done it but would it have made any sense at all when Dermott didn't even make the team?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
But that's kind of my point...Him being on the team....I mean sure maybe they could have done it but would it have made any sense at all when Dermott didn't even make the team?

You're definitely right, it's best for Liljegren to be in the AHL right now. We can afford to be as patient as needed. I think he makes the team next year unless we somehow acquire a really good defenseman.

I hope Dermott gets a chance soon. I think he's a better option than Rosen for the 7th spot.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Liljegren should be nowhere near the NHL right now.

He's started off well in the AHL. Hopefully he can stay consistent until Christmas and have a strong WJHC. This is what Leafs fans should be hoping for right now. This would be an ideal season.

This, 100%.

It's been 4 games.

Reactions: rickardr

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Liljegren isn't close to Dermott at this point and certainly shouldn't be in the NHL. Watching both at the AHL level, Dermott impacts the game at a level that few on the team can match, and was already a top pair D for the Marlies by mid-season of last year. Liljegren still spends half the game on his knees due to being out muscled or toppled over and plays sheltered minutes (to be expected of an 18 year old rookie).

Those 3 early points are a good sign, but it's not as if any of them were dynamic plays indicating he's too good for the league; both assists were routine forward passes. From what i've seen, he's at least 2 years away from full-time NHL hockey, which is not a bad thing whatsoever.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I think the Leafs are going to overcook Lily and Dermott in the AHL so they're going to be able to add impact defensemen on entry-level contracts when they're looking to compete for the cup in a couple years

Reactions: BM14 and Karitimes

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Liljegren He was drafted 17th last year. Obviously he teams did not think he was NHL ready. He is one of few players drafted last year that are either playing in the NHL,AHL, SHL or KHL. So I think he's done OK in his development.
I liked him being picked by the Leafs....seems like a good fit, but I doubt he sees the NHL till 2019/20.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Liljegren He was drafted 17th last year. Obviously he teams did not think he was NHL ready. He is one of few players drafted last year that are either playing in the NHL,AHL, SHL or KHL. So I think he's done OK in his development.
I liked him being picked by the Leafs....seems like a good fit, but I doubt he sees the NHL till 2019/20.

ZINFINITY16

Dec 29, 2013
Ontario
Anyone know a site to check AHL possession stats? Looks great out there in terms of highlights and stats line but wanna know more.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I suspect he or Dermott will get a call up by the end of the calendar year.

Dermott I think is a very high chance to play some NHL games this season. I'd say Liljegern is nearly 0% chance there is no rush with him at all we have 3 or 4 dmen who can cover for injuries so if liljegren does play we have been decimated with injuries.

Rosen, Borgman, Carrick, Valiev and id say they play holl before lijegren too. Then Polak is hanging around the team as well. 2 of those are on the leafs already with one as #7. Even after all them if Marincin is still on the marlies theyd go him before liljegern too.

There is no reason for liljegren to play NHL this season, let him learn under keefe for 1 entire season then go from there next season

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Dermott I think is a very high chance to play some NHL games this season. I'd say Liljegern is nearly 0% chance there is no rush with him at all we have 3 or 4 dmen who can cover for injuries so if liljegren does play we have been decimated with injuries.

Rosen, Borgman, Carrick, Valiev and id say they play holl before lijegren too. Then Polak is hanging around the team as well. 2 of those are on the leafs already with one as #7. Even after all them if Marincin is still on the marlies theyd go him before liljegern too.

There is no reason for liljegren to play NHL this season, let him learn under keefe for 1 entire season then go from there next season

True, and I do think Leafs would need Demott's type of player first and foremost. I just thought both would get a trial run at some point this season, just to test the waters.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
True, and I do think Leafs would need Demott's type of player first and foremost. I just thought both would get a trial run at some point this season, just to test the waters.

im sure dermott will get a at least a few games this season. His style is steady 2way dman that style can always be used. Liljegren despite very good offensive play was a little less developed defensively I think they will work on that before he gets a shot. Not that liljegren is bad defensively, he is a lot better than I thought after reading his scouting reports

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
3 points in his first 4 AHL games

His offensive acumen has been questioned by few, and while that early success is encouraging, it's his success in our own end that is going to need to the most work, to translate to the NHL. I haven't watched any of the Marlies games so far, so I can't comment.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Liljegren looked good in the one Marlies game I caught and 3 points in 4 games so far is a good start.

I predicted on here from day 1 that he will be NHL ready at some point next season, and that prediction is looking great right now. The goal now is to have a solid AHL year (a good WJC would be a nice bonus). That would be a great draft year for most top 5-10 prospects, which is where he should have gone.

Those predicting he needs 3 years to cook before being an NHL player are out to lunch.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I can see Liljegren taking a real shot for the team next year, but I think they'll give him another year in the A, similar to Dermott.

It feels nice to have two of the more promising Dmen in the AHL on your team, gives a lot of options to the team moving forward.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
It could very well be possible that he takes 3 years to develop into a NHL player but those that claim that is how long it will take do not provide any reasons why. At least with someone like Rasanen it makes sense that the time frame will be longer because they have clearly defined flaws that will take time to fix. I am not saying that Liljegren does not have flaws but his flaws aren't the type that makes him a long term project.

Gamble9

Apr 15, 2014
Bowmanville, Ontario
Id just like to put my 2 cents in after watching 3 of his games so far this year his decision making and skill is evident and hes not overwhelmed by the league but it obvious that he needs to work on his strength and to a lesser extent his cardio before hes ready to make the jump hes rag dolled ocationally on the forecheck hes showing great but hes not physically there yet but when he is hes going to be great imo

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
Happy to hear him doing well though i'm not surprised. Funny though how after those few pre-season games he was a total bust..
Early success will likely give him the much confidence after last year.

Reactions: bukwas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad