RD Timothy Liljegren - Ex-Rogle BK, SHL (2017, 17th, TOR) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
3 years away, is not some diss. Most dmen aren't ready until their age 21 or 22 season if that. Unless they are Victor Mete of course... ;)

sure, but there's no reason to pre-determine how far away a prospect is, their own development should dictate it. Given that Liljegren has 2 years of pro experience, he's probably a good bet to have a shorter timeline than most, but his own play will determine it

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Idk if its been mentioned already, but Liljegren is officially playing with the Marlies this year:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Idk if its been mentioned already, but Liljegren is officially playing with the Marlies this year:

that's news - is this actually official or just being reported? Probably the best place for him, even in Rogle was willing to trade his rights to a better SHL team

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
that's news - is this actually official or just being reported? Probably the best place for him, even in Rogle was willing to trade his rights to a better SHL team

I guess it's not techincally "official", my bad, but I thought I saw it confirmed elsewhere to. Plus I don't see any conflicting reports he's off to the SHL, so I think its a safe assumption.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I guess it's not techincally "official", my bad, but I thought I saw it confirmed elsewhere to. Plus I don't see any conflicting reports he's off to the SHL, so I think its a safe assumption.
that's good, I'm happy with that result.

Will also make the Marlies worth watching on nights that there's no Leaf game - the whole top tier of prospects is on that team in Liljegren/Dermott/Kapanen, then a bunch of the next tier in Nielsen/Brooks/Bracco/Johnsson/etc. It's great when they're competitive and it's real prospects leading the charge, watchable hockey

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
3 years away, is not some diss. Most dmen aren't ready until their age 21 or 22 season if that. Unless they are Victor Mete of course... ;)

I actually like Mete. He is a great skater and has good hockey sense, but he hasn't played a regular season game yet, and I wouldn't be proclaiming him a better D prospect than Liljegren at this point. I am really looking forward to our teams battling it out this season, and Matthews wreaking havoc on Mete and company. ;)

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I actually like Mete. He is a great skater and has good hockey sense, but he hasn't played a regular season game yet, and I wouldn't be proclaiming him a better D prospect than Liljegren at this point. I am really looking forward to our teams battling it out this season, and Matthews wreaking havoc on Mete and company. ;)
Mete > Reilly > Liljegren

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Getting back on topic, it will interesting to see the pairings the Marlies roll with to start the season. As a Leaf fan, I am hoping for Liljegren to be paired with Dermott and Nielsen and Rosen to be paired together with Valiev, LoVerde and Holl making up the 5,6,7 spots.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Getting back on topic, it will interesting to see the pairings the Marlies roll with to start the season. As a Leaf fan, I am hoping for Liljegren to be paired with Dermott and Nielsen and Rosen to be paired together with Valiev, LoVerde and Holl making up the 5,6,7 spots.

From a simple LHD-RHD set up I would expect something like:

Dermott-Liljegren
Rosen-Holl
Nielsen-LoVerde
Valiev-Paliotta
Cleland

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
From a simple LHD-RHD set up I would expect something like:

Dermott-Liljegren
Rosen-Holl
Nielsen-LoVerde
Valiev-Paliotta
Cleland

Makes sense. Is Keefe married to the LHD with RHD like Babcock is? The good thing is that Liljegren is by far the most talented option on the right hand side, and likely to get top pairing minutes.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Makes sense. Is Keefe married to the LHD with RHD like Babcock is? The good thing is that Liljegren is by far the most talented option on the right hand side, and likely to get top pairing minutes.
You'd hope that they wouldn't keep him here and not give him minutes. I'm hoping to see him with Dermott as well. I think they'll compliment each other and who knows, maybe be an nhl pairing at some point.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Looking at the Marlies schedule I see that they play about 25 back-to-back with 4 of those being back-to-back-t0-back. I wonder how many games you can realistically expect their D to play?

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I would have loved to see him end up in Frolunda playing alongside Dahlin, and with the other Leaf prospect Grundstrom, but I believe this move is just as good for his progression. The Marlies blue line is going to be top 5 league wide:

Dermott - Liljegren
Rosen - Holl
Nielsen - LoVerde
(Valiev)

When paired together, that top pairing has looked dominant. They compliment each other extremely well and are two of the better D prospects out there.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Looking at the Marlies schedule I see that they play about 25 back-to-back with 4 of those being back-to-back-t0-back. I wonder how many games you can realistically expect their D to play?

One reason is that teams often carry 8 Dmen. in the AHL. And Marincin has been waived so likely Rosen is up with the Leafs.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Yep, the NHL is a marathon not a sprint. Mete is a decent hockey player but doesn't have the talent of a Liljegren.

If people think he's better than Liljegren...well that argument is going to fall flat like the Larkin, Bennett, Virtanen >> Nylander because they made it to the NHL before him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad