RD Scott Morrow - UMass, NCAA (2021, 40th, CAR)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd like to know what he is missing that would keep him from becoming a #1D?

I've seen Morrow at UMass but frankly haven't noticed his defensive game (it doesn't help that UMass doesn't have to defend much). So I'm not saying he's the total package, I just don't know of anything missing.

I've been focusing on Morrow's defense in the last couple games vs Michigan. A big test. And I can see why it is considered his weak point. He shows incredible agility with the puck but his top speed when trying to recover defensively is very slow at this point. He's got to be more careful with turnovers. He reminds me of how Dahlin looks with the Sabres (for better and worse).

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Any update on his season has started?

Watched the game last night against my Pio’s

They held their own against the #1 ranked team

A big development is he now on the right side
He played the left side last year on the 2nd pairing with Farmer.
I thought they may load up on Ufko and Morrow together and maybe make one of the best pairings in the NCAA but they only do that on PP with a 2 defenceman look.
So Morrow and McDermott who I believe is a transfer are now the top pairing. The Ufko pairing is too undersized

He is going to get more looks on the PK as he scored a short handed goal last night.

Looks stronger this year, and more assertive in his own zone
Still a shoot first d-man with a high amount of shot attempts.

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
started watching from the 2nd period on.

2 snipes on the PP

he was a high volume shooter last season I thought.
But he has the greenest green light to shoot this season. He hd like 11 shots last night.

What’s interesting is he isn’t the PP QB per say as the season has gone on.
He is a trigger man from the half wall and is pulsing in and out of the zone

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Love this kid. Just need to see some improvement in D and he is the perfect modern day 2 way dman.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
The Canes have things timed perfectly for him to eventually replace Burns as their PPQB.

-Sign him in March/April after his UMass season is over, give him maybe a token game or 2 towards the end of the regular season.

-Either give him a few games in the AHL or keep him with the big club as a black ace come playoff tome

-Next season, let him compete for the 3rd pair RD slot, if he earns it, great. If not, a year in the minors certainly won’t hurt.

-Season after that, he should be a full time NHL D, Burns will be on an expiring deal. Burns can take him under his wing, pretty good mentor.

PS - to VAN fans, I’d be shocked if they traded Morrow. And they’re certainly not considering trading him for a rental.

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

Brent Burns Beard