RD Scott Morrow - UMass, NCAA (2021, 40th, CAR)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Curious why you think playing in an older league would have been a mistake? Not sure if he was really tested at all these past two years? Always been concerns about his slow feet and speed - playing as an over-ager in prep this year did not allow for him to showcase that he can still do what he does at a higher pace. Going straight to college might also be a mistake? No doubt he has skill but not sure he has proven anything much to anyone yet. I can see him going in the draft but not sure he's worthy of 1st or 2nd round consideration. I would have really liked to see him play against stronger competition.

It's not playing in an older league that would be a mistake, it's that Morrow has been playing in levels lower than he should have for 2 seasons already. The USHL is a large step up from U18 hockey, but he'd have a significant advantage there with his size and skill and he'd be 19 for most of the season. I don't think it's advantageous to spend 3 straight seasons playing below your level. Granted, it's possible the USHL would be too much for him, but if that was the case for a 19-year-old who's not a late bloomer, it most likely doesn't matter when he goes to college in terms of his professional prospects.

I'd be more sympathetic to him spending a year in the USHL if he'd spent last year with Youngstown as was originally planned, but a 3rd season playing with significant advantages isn't ideal.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Morrow was asked by North Dakota to defer a year and has switched to play college hockey this fall at UMass. What a coup for the defending champs who also added Vegas 4th rounder Slava Demin to their incoming blueline as a transfer from Denver.

Why was he asked to defer a year?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Why was he asked to defer a year?

I assume it has to do with Sanderson coming back essentially reducing a possible spot or limit available roles? Seems like the timing kinda corresponded with that news? I mean they have a bunch of other freshman and sophomore defenders coming back too so my guess is he'd be a depth defender on that team (obviously not in terms of raw talent) and they'd rather have his arrival staggered.

Then again I assume we see Brent Johnson in Grand Forks this fall now. So I dunno for sure but I do know with Zac Jones and Marc Del Gaizo vacating the UMass' blueline, there should be ample opportunity to make his make with the defending champs in a role/usage he was unlikely to see this upcoming season for UND.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I assume it has to do with Sanderson coming back essentially reducing a possible spot or limit available roles? Seems like the timing kinda corresponded with that news? I mean they have a bunch of other freshman and sophomore defenders coming back too so my guess is he'd be a depth defender on that team (obviously not in terms of raw talent) and they'd rather have his arrival staggered.

Then again I assume we see Brent Johnson in Grand Forks this fall now. So I dunno for sure but I do know with Zac Jones and Marc Del Gaizo vacating the UMass' blueline, there should be ample opportunity to make his make with the defending champs in a role/usage he was unlikely to see this upcoming season for UND.

I find it interesting that they'd ask a potential first round pick to defer, which they know could potentially make him choose another school. I would've thought that they'd have a better solution or be able to shift around a spot that pushes out someone who isn't really that good of a prospect towards the bottom of their roster.

I agree that Morrow will have a good chance to have early success at UMass. Carvel is also a good coach.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The Shattuck St. Mary’s high school program is legendary for its hockey development. However, being an elite prep school, it is rare that prospects spend their draft year with the team. Normally a player is with the school for their 15-year-old or 16-year-old seasons and then moves on for their draft year. This season, the global pandemic created an exception as defenceman Scott Morrow choose to stay in school rather than going to a new environment. Morrow scored eight goals and 40 assists for 48 points in 30 games with the Sabres. He also joined the Fargo Force for the USHL playoffs, playing six games.

In 2019-20 Morrow scored 22 goals and 45 assists for 67 points in 46 games with Shattuck. He also appeared in two games for the Youngstown Phantoms in the USHL, picking up an assist. The Darien, Connecticut native will be headed closer to home for his college hockey career. He is committed to playing Division One hockey for the University of Massachusetts Minutemen next season. Morrow’s CHL rights are owned by the Val D’Or Foreurs who drafted him in the second round, 21st overall, of the 2018 QMJHL American Draft.

2021 NHL Draft #53: Scott Morrow Scouting Report

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
5 points in 3 games at the WJSS. Anyone know how he has been defensively? I wanted Vancouver to take him but he went just before our pick

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I hyped this kid up so much in canuck board for like all of last season

Loved the risk reward factor and the right shot.
Shattuck had some great streams of weekend games.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
This was the weekend he kind of surpassed Ufko as their go to D-man for the minuteman
I'd say this was his first test this weekend again providence as it is tough to judge his first weekend and A-Inter and Merrimack are mehhh so I decided to watch.

He has had the impact i imagined after watching those shattuck games, got the lone goal of the game last night in a win
had another nice rip of a goal tonight on the PP and a garbage time assist on another Powerplay
He plays the left but they have been experiencing with him on the right as he is a right shot which is super valuable, and I don't think really know what they'll do with him long term on siding.

won't get much press with michigan always being talked about.
but he is 5th in freshman scoring and 2nd in freshman defense scoring behind hughes with the same point per game

he is an absolute problem for teams on the power play with his vision.
like his game so much more than Ceulemans right now

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
he is an absolute problem for teams on the power play with his vision.
like his game so much more than Ceulemans right now

Yeah my team drafted Ceulemans over Morrow and I'm pissed about it. Morrow has star potential and it is blatantly f***ing obvious. WTF.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Yeah my team drafted Ceulemans over Morrow and I'm pissed about it. Morrow has star potential and it is blatantly f***ing obvious. WTF.

Morrow is more confident in the college game than Ceulemans is right now. Both have made huge jumps in competition

Morrow has a bigger green light and plays with a level of arrogance

Like on his goal he passed the puck to his teammate on the blue line, followed the pass and left the offensive zone to gain more speed then re-entered the zone at a cleaner straighter line and took the drop pass and every player was caught flatfooted and his blasted it five hole
that is a confident play.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Loved this assist tonight against BU. Crazy atmosphere at this game.
yBBVU_g46lzf9YrT.mp4

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I know young d-men are the hardest to project, but is Morrow a potential top pair RHD?

I'd like to know what he is missing that would keep him from becoming a #1D?

I've seen Morrow at UMass but frankly haven't noticed his defensive game (it doesn't help that UMass doesn't have to defend much). So I'm not saying he's the total package, I just don't know of anything missing.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Anyone know why Morrow wasn't in the lineup for the one game at the Juniors?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: