RD Noah Dobson - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL (2018, 12th, NYI)

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Still wish the Canucks had taken Dobson over Hughes, he's the better all-around piece.

He was also who I wanted the Canucks to take. Let's hope you and I were wrong and that QH turns about to be special as many believe he will be.

But Noah just looks to be such a horse long term. In time, he would actually be the perfect partner for QH to grow with. Too bad we can't have both of these two nice things:)

Islanders have a real Gem here IMO

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Don’t like it. He needs to consistently play

He will play eventually somewhere, they won't have him ride pine all season. They want to get him experience around NHL players , practicing, playing the odd game. He may even force their hand and end up staying the whole year.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
He was also who I wanted the Canucks to take. Let's hope you and I were wrong and that QH turns about to be special as many believe he will be.

It must be so hard to have drafted Q. Hughes instead. :laugh:

Lots of amazing D talent at the top of that draft, and lots had impressive runs. Hughes looks great, Boqvist killed it at the end, Bouchard had a nice run (tho I like him the least), Dobson had a fun second half, Smith is steady as they come, Miller was amazing before the injury, etc. We're going to have to see. The thing Dobson has on most of the others is NHL readiness - he has that man among boys look.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
It must be so hard to have drafted Q. Hughes instead. :laugh:

Lots of amazing D talent at the top of that draft, and lots had impressive runs. Hughes looks great, Boqvist killed it at the end, Bouchard had a nice run (tho I like him the least), Dobson had a fun second half, Smith is steady as they come, Miller was amazing before the injury, etc. We're going to have to see. The thing Dobson has on most of the others is NHL readiness - he has that man among boys look.

Different strokes for different folks. 2018 was a bumper crop for d-men.

Reactions: dano16

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Just watching that video, looks like Dobson has a much better shot then I give him credit for

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Just watching that video, looks like Dobson has a much better shot then I give him credit for

He's got a good shot, but it should get better as he continues to get bigger and stronger. What really stands out is his mobility, especially his seemingly effortless ability to create separation.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Thought this was worth a bump. Dobson's only played 5 games so far, but he's gotten into the lineup the last two games and has looked fantastic. Smooth, poised, not afraid to get involved offensively. All while playing his off-side.

He's been paired with Boychuk which IMO has been a smart decision by Trotz. Solid veteran leader whose priority is taking care of his own end. They've actually looked pretty good together. I really hope they figure out a way to keep him in the lineup all year.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
The two games in which he’s gotten meaningful minutes he has made great plays to assist goals, individually generated several shots on net, and had great advanced stats. Funny how that works.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The two games in which he’s gotten meaningful minutes he has made great plays to assist goals, individually generated several shots on net, and had great advanced stats. Funny how that works.

Trotz has been sheltering him hard and bringing him along slowly. The last game against Ottawa was his first 'real game' where he took a regular shift, he did look quite good. It's a pretty good sign that he played well at LD, that versatility is another feather under Dobson's cap.

I think the Isles are keeping their options open and will make a final decision on Dobson when they are forced to. The Isles have a strong top-6 already, they'll keep his games capped at 9 until the WJC. I think they'll release him to Team Canada and make the decision to keep him or not after that. It was mentioned during the summer that he could be sent on a conditioning stint in the AHL after the WJC to further delay the decision.

Whatever happens, all signs point to Dobson being a future stud. I have complete faith in Lou and Trotz to handle his development.

Reactions: Dominance

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Trotz has been sheltering him hard and bringing him along slowly. The last game against Ottawa was his first 'real game' where he took a regular shift, he did look quite good. It's a pretty good sign that he played well at LD, that versatility is another feather under Dobson's cap.

I think the Isles are keeping their options open and will make a final decision on Dobson when they are forced to. The Isles have a strong top-6 already, they'll keep his games capped at 9 until the WJC. I think they'll release him to Team Canada and make the decision to keep him or not after that. It was mentioned during the summer that he could be sent on a conditioning stint in the AHL after the WJC to further delay the decision.

Whatever happens, all signs point to Dobson being a future stud. I have complete faith in Lou and Trotz to handle his development.
I'm not very good on AHL's rules but can't Dobson play there in just two months as he turns 20 on 7th of January?

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019

Agree. How is Bode Wilde doing? Islanders just need a high scoring wing for Barzal and they are competitors for the stanley cup.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Agree. How is Bode Wilde doing? Islanders just need a high scoring wing for Barzal and they are competitors for the stanley cup.

Wilde has been hurt with the dreaded high ankle sprain so his season hasn't even started yet. He was just assigned to the AHL so he should be close.

Getting that 2nd elite offensive talent is the key, they are set everywhere else.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Nope. He a player needs to either be 20 at the start of the season or have played 4 consecutive seasons(Veleno).
Not true, they need to be turning 20 by the end of the year (2019). Late CHL birthdays can go to the AHL their D+2 while early birthdays (Jan - Sept 15) have to wait till their D+3.

So if Dobson was born 7 days earlier, he would have been able to play in the AHL this year.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Thread deserves a bump. Kid is having an excellent sophomore season. That 2018 Draft is stacked with good defenseman but when it comes to complete players he might be the best of the bunch when it's all said and done.

When it looked like the Habs would be picking in the 6-10 range he was who I wanted. Really poised smart defenseman. Not sure he will ever get the recognition he will deserve but he is a stud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad