RD Jeremy Roy - Sherbrooke Phoenix, QMJHL (2015, 31st, SJS)

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
This guy is an absolute stud. Hope the leafs acquire another mid 1st or trade up from Preds 1st to land him.

I can see him being the perfect partner for Morgan Rielly.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I feel like Roy is the guy that really shows the split between the "fans" and the "scouting community". He's slid down in many scouts list, with some (I think ISS) having him not even being a 1st rd pick. OTOH many regular fans who have watched him rave about him.

I like the kid and am hoping the fans are right and it's just a case of scouting people missing something (maybe being too caught up in measurables or something). Will be interesting to see who is right.

He definitely seems to be a highly polarizing prospect.

I think a big part of it comes from the fact that we're talking about a defenceman without any real high end physical tools. He's got a pretty solid squatty sort of build, but he's not very "big" in terms of reach, combined with his mediocre skating makes for not the rangiest defenceman. Has that sneaky wrister and an okay slapper, but i think his shot is more about placement and positioning than having a great shot. Just not a lot to physically make him stand out and project to the next level.

It shifts a really huge part of evaluation to his hockey brain...which tends to be the most subjective component. You end up pinning a lot of his "value" and "projectability" on his smarts, positional play, and puck skills....where different evaluators are going to see varying degrees of "hockey smarts" that can swing the overall evaluation pretty heavily.

Ie. If you think he's exceptionally hockey smart with rare hockey sense, so much as to completely overcome his very mediocre physical tools, you're going to like him a lot more than someone who doesn't see quite that same level of smarts.

I see him compared to Doughty and Keith with his smarts...but i don't think you can overlook the fact that even if Roy does have that same level of hockey IQ...those two are both superb skaters, which allows them to do what they do so effectively. Roy doesn't really have that...he's not a horrendous skater or anything and there's obviously room for improvement, but there's a big gap between Roy and those other guys as a skater.

Personally i find he looks great with the puck on his stick, but i'm not really blown away by his play without it. Find him more passive and reactive than i'd like in a guy who doesn't have the greatest reach or closing quickness. A bit too much watching plays develop (particularly in the corners) before jumping in to break them up at times. Nothing wrong with patience and poise defensively, but at the next level there are too many good players who will burn a defenceman who gives them that time and space and lacks the tools to close on them quickly. Just doesn't look like a defenceman with real "top pairing NHL upside" to me. You never know, defencemen can be a real crapshoot to project. But right now, i see him more as a potential #4/5 who can quarterback your powerplay and move the puck.

And for a guy you'd expect to be your go-to PP QB, where a lot of his value comes in the offensive zone...his goal production dropping this year is a bit of an eyebrow raiser i think (though nearly matching his regular season G total (5) in the first game of the U18s with a hattrick probably doesn't hurt him there :laugh:). Not a red flag per se, but a curiousity for me.

Just my take on Roy, where i seem to be a bit in the minority around here...maybe more in line with where a lot of scouting services seem to have him. :dunno: But i think that's where a lot of the wide divergence in opinions on Roy from "top-10" to "late-1st" sort of stems from. That heavy emphasis on his "hockey smarts" in the absence of any standout tools.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
I think where the high-end projections come with J. Roy isn't necessarily based on smarts alone. I think it comes down to the fact that he has the innate ability of wanting to be a difference maker on the ice. It doesn't matter whether he's playing with or against all-star calibre prospects or plugs, he's the guy that when he is on the ice he will take the authority and give himself the permission to dictate the play. That is where the comparison to Drew Doughty comes in, they both have that unique mentality in how they approach the game. Even in the absence of hugely advanced physical tools he can still be a dominant force on the ice.

And the one thing that would REALLY enable him to do that at the next level is improving his skating to a high level. As it is, a lot of people have no issue with taking skating as something that can be improved to a degree. I would personally lean that way, and I believe that if J. Roy would bring that facet of it from what it is now (average - which given the specifics of his toolset isn't good enough for him to be an impact D at the NHL level) to good or very good, then he has a chance of being an impact defenseman at the NHL level.

Then you have secondary things to improve on, which mainly I see as two.

First his defensive zone game needs added structure, which is where I would agree with biturbo19 that he isn't the best once the control is established against him. However I think he is capable of pretty aggressive close-downs in transition and when the opposition isn't fully established yet, in fact I've seen him take downright over-aggressive moves in those situations. Anyways, I think that structural part of it can be brought up to a decent level once his skating improves and once he goes through a good developmental program that will actually point out to him how to add structure in defending in his own zone with control established by the opposition. Once he knows what he has to do, his instincts will take over and I don't think you'll see much of looking around. Although I doubt he'll ever be more than average-ish in defending his own zone with control established against him.

And the third major thing is his shot, that is his slapper. His wrist-shot seems to be fine but he could improve the slap-shot. Even then, Doughty is still today underwhelming in actually getting his shots on net because he is prone to over-handling the puck and waiting too long for elaborate plays to the point that shooting lanes close up by then. Still, even with that weakpoint, the guy is still quite clearly a top 5 defenseman in the league (I'm being conservative here so we don't get sidetracked, but for me he's best in the league). Everyone has a slight weakpoint somwhere.

For me the biggest thing with J. Roy is skating, followed by adding defensive zone structure when defending against opposition with established control, followed by improving his shot from the point. The more of those factors improve, the better chance he has to be an impact defenseman.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Personally I love J. Roy, I think he has the potential to be one of the best D in this draft. His skating and defensive zone needs work, but most young defence do need work in their own end. His slapper could improve, but his skating and shot are something I see coming along once he gets pro coaching. I think the guy is a top 10-15 pick but a lot of people have him ranked towards the end of the first. However lets say his impact is that of only a 4th or 5th defence, who can move the puck and QB the PP. Isn't that worth a first round pick since most guys won't make the NHL? While it may not be worth a 10-15 pick, it is worth a first round pick in my eyes, no questions asked.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
If Meier and Connor are gone at 14, I really want them to take this kid (assuming no one slips). I think he's gonna be a stud

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
As a Habs fan, I have some hope that the scouting rankings are somewhat accurate, and that J. Roy is available at #26. I will not get my hopes up, because I feel that there is at least one team choosing in the top 25 that have Roy high on their list.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
As a Habs fan, I have some hope that the scouting rankings are somewhat accurate, and that J. Roy is available at #26. I will not get my hopes up, because I feel that there is at least one team choosing in the top 25 that have Roy high on their list.

I think Roy is gone in the 12-18 range

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Would be a mistake to pick Meier ahead of Roy.. or Svechnikov, Zboril and Chabot for that matter.

Can you explain? To this outsider, Meier seems in the Brandon Saad mold. But he is also old for the draft, played with superstars, and had a statistically weak prior year. If he were born a few weeks earlier, he probably would have gone in round 3 last year.

What's a good scouting report on his weaknesses?

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
I think Roy is gone in the 12-18 range

Unfortunately, I must agree with you. He reminds me in his style of play, smarts, and physical skills as someone, I'm sure you have seen plenty of (looking at your location.) Many may feel that I'm exaggerating greatly, but I feel that his ceiling is Ray Bourque.

IMHO, I feel that his lower ranking may be due to him playing in a league that has a bad reputation for developing elite d-men.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
What's the deal with this guy?

I'm particularly interested in hearing about his skating. Somebody told me he isn't a very fast skater. I watched him play at the U18s, and he didn't seem very fast there either.

But FC dropped this bomb on me:

Roy is an outstanding skater, and shows great mobility both forwards and backwards, as well as the strong edge work and agility to cover all areas in the defensive zone, and walk the line in the offensive zone.

That's definitely not what I saw. What gives? Was he hurt or something? They make him sound like Duncan Keith!

SchennSational1022*

If Flyers drafted this guy, where would he rank among Sanheim/Morin/Gostisbehere? Last?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

I'm particularly interested in hearing about his skating. Somebody told me he isn't a very fast skater. I watched him play at the U18s, and he didn't seem very fast there either.

That's definitely not what I saw. What gives? Was he hurt or something? They make him sound like Duncan Keith!

I think ultimately he's somewhere in the middle. LWoS said this:

Jeremy Roy is a good, but not great skater. He has a bit of a choppy stride and is slow in his first few steps and in his acceleration, but when going full out his decent speed moving both forwards and backwards. Roy has the strong edge work, pivots and agility though to cover all areas in the defensive zone, and walk the line to create chances in the offensive zone.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/04/16/2015-nhl-draft-profile-16-jeremy-roy/

Remember though, Letang wasn't much of a skater when he was drafted either. Now he's a beauty.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I've made several shift by shift videos on players from the 2015 draft, including Jeremy Roy, just to get a gauge on his style of play.

Of course, this isn't to replace scouting, but if you haven't seen him before, this is a chance to see him. Keep in mind this isn't a highlight reel.

I hope you enjoy!

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Yeah, I didn't see it either. When he was on the ice with a guy like Chabot at the Prospects game and the u18s it was even more obvious.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
I've made several shift by shift videos on players from the 2015 draft, including Jeremy Roy, just to get a gauge on his style of play.

Of course, this isn't to replace scouting, but if you haven't seen him before, this is a chance to see him. Keep in mind this isn't a highlight reel.

I hope you enjoy!

thank you for making these, much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I must agree with you. He reminds me in his style of play, smarts, and physical skills as someone, I'm sure you have seen plenty of (looking at your location.) Many may feel that I'm exaggerating greatly, but I feel that his ceiling is Ray Bourque.

IMHO, I feel that his lower ranking may be due to him playing in a league that has a bad reputation for developing elite d-men.

Wow that's a tremendous comparison! Would be amazing if he turned into that:nod:

I agree though, his physical skills are amazing, and he does get undervalued for playing in the Q. Remember he played on the worst team in the league in Sherbrooke. I bet if he was in the OHL he would receive higher praise. He just has the "it" factor that I can't really put my finger on and plays with swagger. He can do it all and IMO will be a top pairing D who plays all situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad