RD Colton Parayko (2012, 86th, STL)

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Has anyone watched him extensively? I know next to nothing about him other than the Blues selected him in the third round in 2012, he's an assistant captain at Alaska Fairbanks and he just won the WCHA Defensive Player of the Year Award following his sophomore season. Like I said, I've never even seen him play a game, so any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Anchor Town*

He's really good. Best player on the team. Man amongst boys out there. Doesn't need another season in college but will probably get one.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
2 more goals for him tonight

I think the Blues will sign him. His season is likely over as they were bounced from the tournament. Unless Schmaltz is signed, I think the Blues will bring him into the fold this next year. They need a puck move in Chicago.

Schmaltz is likely going to stick at NODAK to play with his younger brother next season - atleast that is the rumor going around.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I think the Blues will sign him. His season is likely over as they were bounced from the tournament. Unless Schmaltz is signed, I think the Blues will bring him into the fold this next year. They need a puck move in Chicago.

Schmaltz is likely going to stick at NODAK to play with his younger brother next season - atleast that is the rumor going around.

Well it's not really the Blues' decision. He has a say in it too, and many go the college route because they want to spend 4 years. I don't know if that's the case or not with Parayko, but I do think it's more his call than StL.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
now the usual question...... who is a good nhl player comparison to Parayko???? love the Blues and VERY intrigued by this guy

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I don't see any harm in letting him play another year or two in college. The Wolves have a TON of Dmen and I'd rather him play a big role on his team in college than play off and on in the AHL. I'd like to actually watch him play though. Leads his team in blocked shots. Hitch will love that :laugh:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't see any harm in letting him play another year or two in college. The Wolves have a TON of Dmen and I'd rather him play a big role on his team in college than play off and on in the AHL. I'd like to actually watch him play though. Leads his team in blocked shots. Hitch will love that :laugh:

I'd say 1 more year makes the most sense. Future replacement for Polak or Jackman 2-3 years down the line.

Anchor Town*

now the usual question...... who is a good nhl player comparison to Parayko???? love the Blues and VERY intrigued by this guy

His style is pretty similar to Pietrangelo. Obviously not in the same ball park though

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
His game-tying goal last night was pretty nifty:

His head coach had some praise for him:

“For a sophomore to win this award, with the competition in the league, speaks volumes to his season so far. Colton is a great player and he’s continuing to get better like he did from his freshman to sophomore year,†Ferguson said. “It’ll be interesting to see where he can get to, he’s a guy destined to play professional hockey and he’s a professional person and student and everything he does, he does it the right way.â€

Parayko is 6'5", 218-pounds and had a +17 rating and was second in the nation with 2.65 blocks per game. He finished his sophomore year with 7-19-26 in 37GP and 11 points in his last 13 games played.

He seems to be extremely humble and hard working on and off the ice, can't wait to see what he can do in the pros.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
His game-tying goal last night was pretty nifty:

His head coach had some praise for him:

Parayko is 6'5", 218-pounds and had a +17 rating and was second in the nation with 2.65 blocks per game. He finished his sophomore year with 7-19-26 in 37GP and 11 points in his last 13 games played.

He seems to be extremely humble and hard working on and off the ice, can't wait to see what he can do in the pros.

:laugh: Oh boy. College hockey at its finest.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Well it's not really the Blues' decision. He has a say in it too, and many go the college route because they want to spend 4 years. I don't know if that's the case or not with Parayko, but I do think it's more his call than StL.

And many leave college early if their drafting team feels they are ready to transition.

For St. Louis, it makes far more sense IF THEY THINK HE IS ready to get him into the fold this offseason. The wolves are fighting for a playoff spot, BUT more importantly, if he and Schmatlz decide to wait another year, then we will have an issue with Schmatlz, Vannelli and Parayko all leaving their JR/College teams the same year. All are puck moving dmen. All play the right side. We would have to trade one or stick one in the ECHL for development.

Makes far more sense for the Blues brass to get he or Schmaltz signed this summer.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Started paying attention to Parayko late last season, definitely on my short list of prospects to significantly elevate their stock this upcoming season.

abel17

May 28, 2009
So how long until Parayko starts getting the Gaudreau treatment?
:sarcasm:

:laugh:

If Parayko was drafted by a Canadian team, I'm sure this thread would already be 20 pages long. Let's keep letting this kid develop and not put the hype train on him quite yet. That being said, can't wait to see what this kid can do next year!

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
:laugh:

If Parayko was drafted by a Canadian team, I'm sure this thread would already be 20 pages long. Let's keep letting this kid develop and not put the hype train on him quite yet. That being said, can't wait to see what this kid can do next year!

TOTALLY agree... he is kind of a unknown right now, but if he was drafted to say Toronto/Oilers/Flames, he would be one of the more talked about best prospect in hockey... He deserves to be talked about waaaaaaaaay more. Once his NCAA season starts though, the hype will pickup forsure

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
He's grown a lot since being drafted. Guy has improved year to year by leaps and bounds.
Haven't seen him play at the NCAA level at all, but we've been going to the same summer drop in shinny for a couple years now.

Quality pick and a great character.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Alright, so who has seen him play and what can you say about him?

From what I've read, this guy seems like a poor-mans Pronger. Would this be an accurate description?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
recently his team upset Wisconsin 1-0 in exhibition game. He had the lone goal and 6 shots on goal and was a beast defensively. NCAA season hasn't started yet so there isn't much for updates yet. He will be a beast though and Ive been predicting for a long time that he will be considered the most NHL ready prospect in NCAA by mid season and one of the top NCAA player... He will bring home a lot of awards at end of year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad