Confirmed with Link: RD Colin Miller signed to a 2-year, $1.85m AAV contract

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Honestly this feels like a poor move. It's probably market value for Colin Miller but he hasn't been good the past 3 years.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Honestly this feels like a poor move. It's probably market value for Colin Miller but he hasn't been good the past 3 years.
How much of that is because he has been playing for Buffalo the last 3 years? The two years before that, he played for good VGK teams and put up nice numbers. I honestly have no idea what to think of this because I didn’t know he existed until the Stars signed him.

Reactions: Sports2

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
How much of that is because he has been playing for Buffalo the last 3 years? The two years before that, he played for good VGK teams and put up nice numbers. I honestly have no idea what to think of this because I didn’t know he existed until the Stars signed him.
I don't know- but having poor seasons while playing sheltered minutes isn't anything to be stoked about.

The same excuse was said about Tyler Myers.... he was a pumpkin after he left Buffalo. It was also used for Ristolainen.... and he was a pumpkin in Philly last year. Nikita Zadorov? Pumpkin.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Would've preferred Subban honestly. Guess the difference isn't that big though these days, either way they aren't gonna be anywhere near Klingberg. At least he has a heavy shot and can skate (unless injuries have ruined that part of his game)

Stars better hope Harley can take a big step this season and become a top 4 puck-moving/offensive dman for them. Like I said earlier though, going from possibly Brent Burns to this is a huge step back. Wonder if Burns would've meant no Marchment tho

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I don't know- but having poor seasons while playing sheltered minutes isn't anything to be stoked about.

The same excuse was said about Tyler Myers.... he was a pumpkin after he left Buffalo. It was also used for Ristolainen.... and he was a pumpkin in Philly last year. Nikita Zadorov? Pumpkin.
God damn pumpkin city over there

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'm fine with it for the money. Not really sure how both he and Hakanpaa will fit, though. One is going to end up playing too much.

I really like the fit with Debour offensively. Lots of point shots from his team's and Miller can hit 105.5 mph on the gun.

On the gun? No wonder he signed in Texas.

• Haha
Reactions: Ghost of Kyiv

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Would've preferred Subban honestly. Guess the difference isn't that big though these days, either way they aren't gonna be anywhere near Klingberg. At least he has a heavy shot and can skate (unless injuries have ruined that part of his game)

Stars better hope Harley can take a big step this season and become a top 4 puck-moving/offensive dman for them. Like I said earlier though, going from possibly Brent Burns to this is a huge step back. Wonder if Burns would've meant no Marchment tho
Same tbh. Once the Marchment deal was inked, my brain was like damn we could have the cap flexibility to sign Subban. But obviously we have no idea what kind of contract PK is looking for. Gudbranson/Chiarot/Leddy all got 4x4M today so the market is the market.

1657751096081.png

1657751105204.png

God damn pumpkin city over there
when life gives you defenseman u make pumpkinaid

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Same tbh. Once the Marchment deal was inked, my brain was like damn we could have the cap flexibility to sign Subban. But obviously we have no idea what kind of contract PK is looking for. Gudbranson/Chiarot/Leddy all got 4x4M today so the market is the market.

View attachment 568828
View attachment 568831

when life gives you defenseman u make pumpkinaid
Keep in mind that the Proj. War% is based on the the TOI so Miller was overwhelmed as a 2nd pair guy, but Subban was overwhelmed as a 3rd pair guy

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
PK ATOI: 22:07, 22:22, 18:18
CMiller ATOI: 17:08, 18:00, 18:59

/shrug
Aren't those cards the 3 year ranking not just last year? I'm not sure anymore if I'm thinking of a different player card thing

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA

Yeah, bad teams are bad for a reason, they’re filled with bad players.

I don’t know much about Colin Miller, but the numbers are underwhelming. Obviously he’s just going to be competing with Hanley and Harley for bottom pairing ice time anyway, so unlikely to be a big deal.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Yeah, bad teams are bad for a reason, they’re filled with bad players.

I don’t know much about Colin Miller, but the numbers are underwhelming. Obviously he’s just going to be competing with Hanley and Harley for bottom pairing ice time anyway, so unlikely to be a big deal.
Vancouver pre vs post Boudreau counter the bad teams are filled with bad players arguement

If its Heiskanen, Hakanpaa, Miller on the right then its probably 25 mins a night for Heiskanen and then 17.5 for the other two and I'd guess that depending on if they need more offense or defence that they alternate being over or under that 17.5

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
I like this move. It’s not a big commitment in either term or AAV. Miller put up good numbers on a good Vegas team, and then (perhaps expectedly)bad numbers on a bad Buffalo team. I expect he will be a perfectly serviceable upgrade to Hanley, Sekera, etc.

It also signals to me—and I’m speculating here—two things: (1) that the club wants to re-sign Hakanpää in two years and (2) that one of the “kids” (presumably Bichsel) will be ready for a roster spot at that point.

All in all, I’m okay with that.

Reactions: Dallasman

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
“Jim, can we resign Klingberg?”
Jim: “We have Klingberg at home.”
Klingberg at home:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If Klingberg signed for that he'd have been back i'm pretty certain of that

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Vancouver pre vs post Boudreau counter the bad teams are filled with bad players arguement

If its Heiskanen, Hakanpaa, Miller on the right then its probably 25 mins a night for Heiskanen and then 17.5 for the other two and I'd guess that depending on if they need more offense or defence that they alternate being over or under that 17.5
It really doesn’t, the coaching change made players you already knew were good better, the bad parts are still bad. Tyler Myers is still not a movable asset, OEL’s contract is still nightmare fuel, etc.

Besides, Miller played in Buffalo for 3 years, that’s not a small sample, and the Stars most certainly do not have Boudreau as coach. Again, I don’t really care about this deal much either way, but taking a depth player from a basement team isn’t going to yield great value unless he was horribly misused.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I do like the fit but I'm moderately surprised he got the 2nd year. Coming off a couple rough years in Buffalo and missing a large chunk due to injury I was figuring he'd be forced into a 1 year commitment.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I do like the fit but I'm moderately surprised he got the 2nd year. Coming off a couple rough years in Buffalo and missing a large chunk due to injury I was figuring he'd be forced into a 1 year commitment.
I guess it's all revolved around perceived upside...... from a season played 5 years ago?

The league knows who Mark Pysyk is and he got 1x800k. They're both 92 birthdates. I don't really understand the rush behind signing Miller.

1657800500960.png

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I guess it's all revolved around perceived upside...... from a season played 5 years ago?

The league knows who Mark Pysyk is and he got 1x800k. They're both 92 birthdates. I don't really understand the rush behind signing Miller.

I think it's prioritizing scheme fit over value.

If your offense centers around defenders sneaking lower in the zone for point shots there is only going to be a certain number of defenseman available who excel at that kind of thing. Burns obviously would have been perfect, Subban would have worked too. But I'm not sure how many of the $ 1 million and under value guys would have fit as well as Miller. I'm assuming they thought, "Well, Miller is the only guy with the skillset we need to fit within Deboer's system, we have to jump on him with the money we have left".

I don't really like valuing scheme that much. Would rather go after the best players and design a scheme around them, but I think I understand what they're doing.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan

View attachment 569098
I get it. But Mark Pysyk never had and will likely never get anywhere near a 41-point season. I’m too lazy right now to look up the stats, but I’m pretty sure that’s right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad