RD Artyom Levshunov - Michigan State Univ., NCAA (2024 Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah you can say that but as MSU season ticket holder this is misleading. He has multiple Empty netters and secondary assists. It isn't like he's going bardown from the point regularly. He also loves the blind drop pass in the neutral zone right to the other team.
How is Augustine and Howard playing?

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
If all you get is Evan Bouchard, that's worth a top 10 pick.

Detach yourself from the current universe of recent picks that everyone expects to end up top half of the league NHL'ers, and take a look back at draft picks from like 10 years ago.

Some of their names you might not know, and others didn't turn into anywhere near good NHL players. If you are picking like 1st or 2nd you want to draft a star, but considering the Levshunov discussion isn't really that and it's more about should he be picked 6th or 20th, there's nothing wrong with a flawed player that has things to work on going 6th.

Levshunov's defensive game is also way over-discussed. He's not playing junior hockey. NCAA is a step up, and he's one of the youngest players in the country. He's 6'2 200, and has shown some defensive ability. You can work with that. He's not 5'8 and a one-way defensemen. Yet, if he was, you can still work with that. Quinn Hughes has improved his defense a lot in the last five years.

Levshunov as a top 10 pick is a no-brainer. The real discussion is top 5 or top 10.
I mean if the draft were today does anyone actually think he won’t go inside the top 5? Like you said he’s a 6’2 RHD which great offensive potential. Wouldn’t be the least bit shocked if he goes ahead of Eiserman at number 2.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I mean if the draft were today does anyone actually think he won’t go inside the top 5? Like you said he’s a 6’2 RHD which great offensive potential. Wouldn’t be the least bit shocked if he goes ahead of Eiserman at number 2.

If the draft were today I'd be shocked if he goes #2. I don't even think he's the best Dman right now considering Dickinson & even Silayev's potential, he could be in that conversation but its certainly not clearly in his favour.

He's putting up good numbers but I don't think he's made close to the shift-to-shift impact you'd want to see out of a top 2 or 3 pick.

He looks his best when he's competent defensively (not making mistakes) and he's reading the play well enough offensively to play a tad aggressive & make himself a scoring threat. The downside is throwing the puck away blindly & lacking urgency in his defending (+ not being a dynamo on offense)

Its still early but I think there's legitimate reason to not consider him Top 5 at this point, but we'll see how the year progresses there's plenty of time.

AyeBah

Apr 5, 2019
How is Augustine and Howard playing?
Howard has been very noticeable and involved, usually good for a couple grade A chances a game via his speed on breakaways or his one timer. Augustine has been tough to judge. The defense certainly leaves him out to dry some nights and he makes some great saves. His puck playing and the occasional softie can be deflating though.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
A few things to mention about this kid. 2 years ago he was playing Belarus u18, dominated there. Last year he made a significant jump to the USHL, dominated there and showed signs of flawed fundamentals (worst +/- on the team). This year he's in the NCAA (huge jump) and leads the team in +/-. Whether you like his fundamentals or not, this kid is learning a lot and fast. He hasn't played in competitive environments for most of his hockey career like all the other prospects

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I get a lot of joy watching this kid play. These other NCAA kids are afraid to go into corners with him lol. When people try to hit him, they bounce right off him. Reminds me so much of Dustin Byfuglien

Reactions: Blueston

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I get a lot of joy watching this kid play. These other NCAA kids are afraid to go into corners with him lol. When people try to hit him, they bounce right off him. Reminds me so much of Dustin Byfuglien
Byfuglien is maybe a stretch... 6'5" and 260lbs vs Lev is 6'2" 200lbs and seemingly close to fully grown (from what I've heard - everyone says how fit he already looks, so adding another 20-30lbs would be somewhat surprising). He is a unit though for a young kid, for sure.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Byfuglien is maybe a stretch... 6'5" and 260lbs vs Lev is 6'2" 200lbs and seemingly close to fully grown (from what I've heard - everyone says how fit he already looks, so adding another 20-30lbs would be somewhat surprising). He is a unit though for a young kid, for sure.
I think he probably could add that. By all accounts, he’s a tank, not a normally built hockey player.

6’5 260? No, so I agree not Byfuglien, but I could see him playing at 220-230.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
He doesn't have the exact height of Byfuglien, but he has a similar build and style as him on the ice

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He looks like a football player, he's the same age and built similarly to the Linebackers that are signing with schools like Georgia, Alabama, etc. today. I think he can probably continue adding mass if he felt beneficial (probably only to a point). He's barely 18.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
This kid might be the most complete defenseman in all of NCAA. Not only is he about a point per game, but he has the second best +/- in his league (not just his team). He also backs that stat up with phenomenal play on tape. The physical tools, his vision in the offensive zone, and skating are well above average. It's hard to say he shouldn't be heavily considered at 2nd oa

Reactions: wetcoast

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This kid might be the most complete defenseman in all of NCAA. Not only is he about a point per game, but he has the second best +/- in his league (not just his team). He also backs that stat up with phenomenal play on tape. The physical tools, his vision in the offensive zone, and skating are well above average. It's hard to say he shouldn't be heavily considered at 2nd oa

Blackhawks get either Celebrini or Levshunov...very fortunate.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Certainly would not call him a complete D, his defensive game is an adventure.

But I have a few of his games,

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Certainly would not call him a complete D, his defensive game is an adventure.

But I have a few of his games,

His first few games were a learning curve, I'll give you that, but the up in competition he has faced has been extreme. Two years ago he was playing Belarus u18. That's basically A level hockey. Now he's point per game in the NCAA as an 18 year old. If you take a look at his play recently, you will see a much improved version of last year

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
His first few games were a learning curve, I'll give you that, but the up in competition he has faced has been extreme. Two years ago he was playing Belarus u18. That's basically A level hockey. Now he's point per game in the NCAA as an 18 year old. If you take a look at his play recently, you will see a much improved version of last year

I haven't seen him in a few weeks but will to see if he's improved his defensive play as he will go very high if so.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I haven't seen him in a few weeks but will to see if he's improved his defensive play as he will go very high if so.
I might be a little too high on him myself. There are some moments that make me want to put him lower, but as of right now, he's my #1.

I honestly think it will come down to a 3 horse race for first defenseman off the board. Silayev, Buium, and Levshunov are the players I think the pro scouts will love

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Two years ago he was playing Belarus u18. That's basically A level hockey.
No, not quite so bad. A sort of janky Belarus equivalent to the USNDTP that competes in the Belarus second division which is a feeder league. Many of his former teammates play in the MHL which is the top Russian junior league. It was not uncommon at all for kids from that team to get selected in the CHL Import Draft prior to the ban. He won’t be the first former player from that Belarus U18 program to be drafted into the NHL but he is certainly the highest regarded.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

He played for U18 team in Belarus' 2nd men (not kids) division, which is weaker than MHL but not much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad