RD Adam Boqvist - Brynas J20, Superelit (2018, 8th, CHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I haven’t followed him much since the draft after he went the London. How has he looked this year?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Based on his AHL play (in particular against our Griffins) I doubt he sticks in the NHL this year. Haven't watched his two NHL games though, and if Chicago keeps on losing that is going to give all their prospects a better chance of playing in the NHL.
Our AHL team is awful. It's filled almost entirely by young guys, save for Kris Versteeg and maybe one or two other guys, and the head coach (Derek King) doesn't seemingly bother making any in-game adjustments; only reason he's still employed is because he took over mid-season when Colliton got his promotion and Hawks didn't want to can him or bump him back down due to Rockford having a coaching change mid-season.

It says something when Dach plays 3 AHL games where he doesn't get a single point, gets called up to the NHL and scores in his 2nd game and Boqvist takes nearly a month to score in the AHL (which was astonishingly the Icehogs first PP goal of the year), gets called up, and scores in his 2nd NHL game.

It's just a mess with the Icehogs right now and it's almost impossible to judge anyone currently on that roster.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Based on his AHL play (in particular against our Griffins) I doubt he sticks in the NHL this year. Haven't watched his two NHL games though, and if Chicago keeps on losing that is going to give all their prospects a better chance of playing in the NHL.

1 AHL game vs 2 NHL games so both sample sizes are small but he has looked like an NHL player so far and got better each AHL game.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I'm going to shut up about Boqvist for a while. I formed a strong opinion over a handful of games. Probably dumb to do.

I was pretty sure this guy was going to become a star, but I'm seeing some flaws that I didn't notice before in an extended look.
So you formed a strong, positive opinion of him over a handful of games, but now you've formed a much less positive opinion of him over another handful of games? Am I getting that right?

He's a very young 19yo. Of course he has warts. You should've been aware of that already. But outside of needing to shoot more (which is certainly a thing he's being advised while on the bench), and not being quite as fast as advertised (he's slightly above average, which for someone as slight as him isn't as good as you may want it to be), his issues have been well established.

He needs to hit the gym hard come summertime (and the next summer and the next summer after that). He does that, and he gains more confidence in his shot, he'll be a damn good guy. Just a question if the work ethic is there.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
So you formed a strong, positive opinion of him over a handful of games, but now you've formed a much less positive opinion of him over another handful of games? Am I getting that right?

He's a very young 19yo. Of course he has warts. You should've been aware of that already. But outside of needing to shoot more (which is certainly a thing he's being advised while on the bench), and not being quite as fast as advertised (he's slightly above average, which for someone as slight as him isn't as good as you may want it to be), his issues have been well established.

He needs to hit the gym hard come summertime (and the next summer and the next summer after that). He does that, and he gains more confidence in his shot, he'll be a damn good guy. Just a question if the work ethic is there.
This is the huge concern. He doesn't even look average at times. He looks slow. AB isn't big enough to be as slow as he is. Everything else is there. Right now, he reminds me of the defenseman version of Dylan Strome, if Strome was 6-0 like Boqvist. I'm beyond shocked at how slow he is.....That's why I'm adjusting my expectations.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
This is the huge concern. He doesn't even look average at times. He looks slow. AB isn't big enough to be as slow as he is. Everything else is there. Right now, he reminds me of the defenseman version of Dylan Strome, if Strome was 6-0 like Boqvist. I'm beyond shocked at how slow he is.....That's why I'm adjusting my expectations.
He's slower than what some of us might've thought, but he still has decent wheels. He's still an above average skater.

His stamina, which was tested with over 20mins tonight, and his leg strength both need improving. He's young enough that that should improve in time. But if you ever thought his straight ahead speed would compete with guys like Hughes and Makar, you were sorely mistaken. Boqvist is more shifty, then speedy; just needs to learn when to be shifty and when to move those toothpicks he calls legs.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
He's slower than what some of us might've thought, but he still has decent wheels. He's still an above average skater.

His stamina, which was tested with over 20mins tonight, and his leg strength both need improving. He's young enough that that should improve in time. But if you ever thought his straight ahead speed would compete with guys like Hughes and Makar, you were sorely mistaken. Boqvist is more shifty, then speedy; just needs to learn when to be shifty and when to move those toothpicks he calls legs.
I didn't think he was quite at Makar/Hughes level, but I wasn't expecting him to get blown past like he did tonight. That play was a wakeup call. It looked like he was skating in mud. I was expecting well above average but not elite skating from him. That being said, it could be his brain and I have to see more.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
How did you come to that conclusion? Came to see what the word is on his pro career, but finds a grumpy swede who’s still grumpy that a swede didn’t get to play a kids tournament b/c he’s boss says so
What? Thanks to chicago stopping him we cot the superior söderström

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad