Signing(s): Rays sign Wander Franco to 11 year deal/185 M with 1 yr option

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I wonder if Stephan Bronfmann approved this contract :sarcasm:

Bad jokes asides, I am glad that the Rays are spending on a cornerstone player. They have been GREAT a developing talent, it would be cool if they can retain some of it and contend for a long time. They built their team "the right way".

Reactions: Voight

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Huge gamble from both sides indeed. He could be leaving huge dollars on table however being set for life can't hurt. Congratulations to Rays nice to see them lock up talent instead of trading it away.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I'm not familiar with the player, but in theory I think it's best to sign your young players to these kinds of deals if you believe they're a foundational piece of your long term core...

With that said, baseball history is filled with players who seemed like future perennial all-stars at an early age, only to wind up as fringe major leaguers a few years later

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Huge gamble from both sides indeed. He could be leaving huge dollars on table however being set for life can't hurt. Congratulations to Rays nice to see them lock up talent instead of trading it away.

I don't see the gamble from the player's perspective...

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I don't see the gamble from the player's perspective...
If he's as good as they think he's leaving huge coin on table. These guys are making 30 plus a year now for top talent. He's giving them 6 Free agent years. I mean he's still making a bundle regardless. Risk on both sides. He could regress to I mean he's just a rookie.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That is a stupidly good deal for the Rays.

Franco was believed to be a 5 tool player coming through the minors and he showed flashes of that considering he piled up as much WAR in half a season than most MVP candidates did. And now they got him a bargain compared to what other young guys like Vlad Jr is gonna get and Tatis already got.

Unreal

Reactions: Voight

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
It may seem as if Franco left lots of millions on the table by signing that deal. But it would be incredibly stupid to gamble away the first $ 180m you may earn. Even if he finds out he threw away the same amount, he has lived a large part of his life in total financial security.

Gruß,
BSHH

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I mean I understand the financial security but he's potentially passing up on a lot of money that he could use on another yacht, and in Tampa it would be nice to have that extra yacht.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I hope they keep him for the whole duration but as he gets better, it'll be even easier for them to trade him given he's locked into a very good deal with tons of term.

Nice to see them open the cheque book. A little weird tho.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
The Rays basically are buying out Franco's free agency years at $25-28 M per year. If he's even just a good player, this is a smart deal for them - the risk is that he collapses and they can't cut bait, but every team in baseball can afford a contract like that.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
The fact that people are calling this a steal, not that I’m saying it isn’t, shows how drastically underpaid Acuna is

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
rays did this with longoria too i believe

guess they only open up the checkbook for franchise cornerstones

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Very cool to see the Rays make that commitment and happy for Franco. He is a phenomenal talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad