Value of: Rasmus Ristolainen

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Plus Montreal doesn't need a d who would play on the 3rd pairing, so that suggestion by that person is just terrible.

Ristolainen seems like a player who would play better on a better team, which will just make people laugh at Buffalo for trading him but I cant see him returning anything of value by himself.

By value I mean a legitimate top 6 player.
Look at Scandella over in Buffalo though? He was junk there, we turned him into a serviceable d-man who returned us a free 2nd. The debacle in Buffalo likely have made a mess of Risto. Solid chance anyway.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Look at Scandella over in Buffalo though? He was junk there, we turned him into a serviceable d-man who returned us a free 2nd

Scandella was a LD though which is what we needed. Ristolainen is 25 and maybe he figures out the reliability part (maybe not). Lets say you acquire Ristolainen and he is worse with the Habs vs the Sabres (just a possible outcome). Then what? You are forced to trade Petry or let him walk cause our cap space for the 21 off season would be even more complicated with Ristolainen.

Sabres won't be trading Ristolainen for cheap... no matter how you try to downplay his game cause his advanced stats are not that good. He has issues with being reliable in his own end but this guy is big and skates well and has put up 40+ pts.

If the price to acquire was cheap... Sabres would have traded him by now. I actually don't understand why he is rumored to be traded so much. Sabres need him and if they trade him for futures, doesn't this make Eichel a bit annoyed? If the Sabres trade Ristolainen, they are likely looking for a Domi/Galchenyuk type swap.

Larsson, Russel, Puljujarvi
for
Ristolainen & Mittelstadt

Sabres get better defensibly and the Oilers free up cap space by having Russel in the deal.

Last edited:

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Scandella was a LD though which is what we needed. Ristolainen is 25 and maybe he figures out the reliability part (maybe not). Lets say you acquire Ristolainen and he is worse with the Habs vs the Sabres (just a possible outcome). Then what? You are forced to trade Petry or let him walk cause our cap space for the 21 off season would be even more complicated with Ristolainen.

Sabres won't be trading Ristolainen for cheap... no matter how you try to downplay his game cause his advanced stats are not that good. He has issues with being reliable in his own end but this guy is big and skates well and has put up 40+ pts.

If the price to acquire was cheap... Sabres would have traded him by now. I actually don't understand why he is rumored to be traded so much. Sabres need him and if they trade him for futures, doesn't this make Eichel a bit annoyed? If the Sabres trade Ristolainen, they are likely looking for a Domi/Galchenyuk type swap.

for

Sabres get better defensibly and the Oilers free up cap space by having Russel in the deal.
That trade is dogshit for Buffalo. Larsson has one year left on his contract and Russell is a cap dump. Puljujarvi would be a decent reclamation project, but no one is paying a premium for him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That trade is dogshit for Buffalo. Larsson has one year left on his contract and Russell is a cap dump. Puljujarvi would be a decent reclamation project, but no one is paying a premium for him.

I would negotiate a sign/trade with Larrson and the Sabres actually get better defensibly which I believe is an issue. Ristolainen has 2 years left and Larrson has 1. You swap Mittlestad for Puljujarvi and maybe Puljujarvi turns into a solid top 6 asset for the Sabres.

Russell is a cap dumb so if you feel the value is off... ask for a 2nd and/or other picks. The point of this trade was to flip Ristolainen for a guy who can actually play D in his own end. I understand why you would not like it but I also don't see the Sabres traded Ristolainen for futures and not getting a RD in return

It's possible both teams hate it :laugh:. Just an idea that could spark something into other pieces being involved

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I would negotiate a sign/trade with Larrson and the Sabres actually get better defensibly which I believe is an issue. Ristolainen has 2 years left and Larrson has 1. You swap Mittlestad for Puljujarvi and maybe Puljujarvi turns into a solid top 6 asset for the Sabres.

Russell is a cap dumb so if you feel the value is off... ask for a 2nd and/or other picks. The point of this trade was to flip Ristolainen for a guy who can actually play D in his own end. I understand why you would not like it but I also don't see the Sabres traded Ristolainen for futures and not getting a RD in return

It's possible both teams hate it :laugh:. Just an idea that could spark something into other pieces being involved
Buffalo already has too many RHD on the roster in Risto, Joker, Montour, and Miller, with Borgen knocking on the door as well. They aren't moving one out just to take another one back. I could see several options on the table when they move one of those guys. They could move one for a LD to supplement Dahlin and McCabe, they could move one of them for futures to clear the logjam, or move one of them for a middle 6 forward which is likely their preference

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Buffalo already has too many RHD on the roster in Risto, Joker, Montour, and Miller, with Borgen knocking on the door as well. They aren't moving one out just to take another one back. I could see several options on the table when they move one of those guys. They could move one for a LD to supplement Dahlin and McCabe, they could move one of them for futures to clear the logjam, or move one of them for a middle 6 forward which is likely their preference

So the Sabres would trade Ristolainen for what team need then? Middle 6 winger?

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I think their preference would be a center. They could look to upgrade the 2nd line RW as well, but I think that's a lesser need.
I'm not sold that Ristolainen is the guy that gets moved this offseason, I think it's much more likely to be Montour. Krueger seems to like Ristolainen and I think with having a new inexperienced GM in place Krueger will hold more clout on personnel decisions than your average coach.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think their preference would be a center. They could look to upgrade the 2nd line RW as well, but I think that's a lesser need.
I'm not sold that Ristolainen is the guy that gets moved this offseason, I think it's much more likely to be Montour. Krueger seems to like Ristolainen and I think with having a new inexperienced GM in place Krueger will hold more clout on personnel decisions than your average coach.

Ristolainen has 2 years left then UFA. You might get Stepan and picks? Ristolainen is the type like Drouin. Struggling in the overall game but has things to like. Doubt any team gives you the piece you would consider a steal or fair value.

Are there so so middle 2C's similar in age and term left? That's what I would be looking for on other teams. Not sure it's there though

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Ristolainen has 2 years left then UFA. You might get Stepan and picks? Ristolainen is the type like Drouin. Struggling in the overall game but has things to like. Doubt any team gives you the piece you would consider a steal or fair value.

Are there so so middle 2C's similar in age and term left? That's what I would be looking for on other teams. Not sure it's there though
I think Stepan will likely be available for something like a mid round pick and a b-prospect. Arizona is going to want to slash salary this offseason and I can't imagine Stepan at 6.5 million is going to have a lot of takers. One of the better deals I've seen so far has been Tierney for Montour. Both RFA's due new deals. Tierney is sort of a 2C/3C tweener, but Buffalo needs centers desperately.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015

for

Ristolainen was available for three reasons:
His unhappiness with the continued losing
The Sabres logjam at RD
The thought that he could bring the biggest return out of the players the Sabres might be willing to move.

He is less available now because Ralph Krueger loves him and the feeling is mutual, and because Jason Botterill is no longer the GM.

Risto was god-awful in the back half of 18-19, but otherwise doesn’t deserve the hate he gets, which is largely a product of becoming an analytics whipping boy because of tough usage on a bad team. Just because he didnt excel in one of the toughest roles asked of any player in the NHL, doesn’t mean he’s “terrible.” Look at how Drew Doughty’s analytics plummeted when his team got bad.

Risto had a pretty good year. He’s an antagonizing, high-risk, high-reward player who is competitive as hell and tries to do too much, but he is big, he works, he’s skilled and he can also play in all situations. His counting stats this year (33 points, -2, 203 hits) are a pretty good reflection of who he is and what he brings.

As far as the trade goes, this Sabres fan wouldn’t do it. Sabres could use a defence-first second-pairing guy like Larsson, except on the left side. Pulju for Mitts has merit.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Like has bern said...I highly doubt buffalo trades him.

They could have him play middle 6 RW next year.

Buffalo needs are

Short term 2C, long term 3C who is good defensively but can score.
Short term LD—2 yrs.

Their top 9 long term looks something like

Olofsson-Eichel-????
Skinner-????-Reinhart
???-Kahun-Thompson

System..Cozens, Mittlestadt, 8OA, and other prospects. Cozens shoots right, Mitts shoots left.

They could trade a Reinhart for a true center.

On D...it looks like Dahlin, Joki, and and ristolainen would be protected.

With Pilut going to Europe, that leaves a LD void.the drafted two LDs in recent drafts in Samuelson and Johnson. McCabe has one year then he is a UFA.

The ideal situation would be for Buffalo to trade/ UFA signing two 4-6 LDs that are similar. I’d trade Miller for one of these LD thst has 2-3 yrs of contract term and possibly do the same with McCabe

Next year it look like

Dahlin-Risto
LD1-Joki
LD2-Montour
Borgen could replace Montour in a trade for a Forward

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I am going to be SOOO interested to see what he gets when he actually is moved. For a guy who has been talked about for so long with such a massive difference of opinion throughout the years.

It'll be fascinating to see what it actually ends up being.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

for

Take out Middelstad and Russel.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
To me, he is worth a 40-50 pt, middle forward of similar age and cap hit as Risto. A good 20-21 will cause his value to rise quite a bit.

He is talented, and has many of the things that GM's go ga-ga over, but his faults are getting hard to ignore.

Maybe Coyle, or Domi? CO's 1st + Timmins/Jost( seems kind of light, but Sabres would be dumping all kinds of cap)?
Boston is pretty happy with Coyle and wouldn't deal him for Risto. Whether the value is there or not is just isn't what they'd be looking to do.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
He's a guy I'd love for the Leafs to take a chance on. He could be a late bloomers with added experience and change of scenery could benefit him.

I'd be comfortable giving up a package including Johnsson, Kerfoot and a 2nd for him.

It'll give Buffalo some scoring depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad