Value of: Rasmus Ristolainen

Troy

Nov 28, 2017
i was wondering if he is still available. If he is, what does he bring back in terms of a top 6 forward or does he bring on back. I am just curious on his value. Not saying he is available.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
To me, he is worth a 40-50 pt, middle forward of similar age and cap hit as Risto. A good 20-21 will cause his value to rise quite a bit.

He is talented, and has many of the things that GM's go ga-ga over, but his faults are getting hard to ignore.

Maybe Coyle, or Domi? CO's 1st + Timmins/Jost( seems kind of light, but Sabres would be dumping all kinds of cap)?

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
i was wondering if he is still available. If he is, what does he bring back in terms of a top 6 forward or does he bring on back. I am just curious on his value. Not saying he is available.

we have gone down this rabbit hole before....

Buffalo isnt trading him unless its for a player who can play 2C, If he is traded its likely part of a large deal like 5-7 players involved,

come deadline and next summer this may turn into a trade for picks and prospects. right now if Buffalo trades him they are looking for current NHL players to help them now.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
To me, he is worth a 40-50 pt, middle forward of similar age and cap hit as Risto. A good 20-21 will cause his value to rise quite a bit.

He is talented, and has many of the things that GM's go ga-ga over, but his faults are getting hard to ignore.

Maybe Coyle, or Domi? CO's 1st + Timmins/Jost( seems kind of light, but Sabres would be dumping all kinds of cap)?

I'm not sure why COL would trade for another RHD? Timmins is likely on the roster next season and 1st needed to restock their farm. AVs wouldn't be able to protect him from the Expansion Draft and would lose him after a year.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I'm not sure why COL would trade for another RHD? Timmins is likely on the roster next season and 1st needed to restock their farm. AVs wouldn't be able to protect him from the Expansion Draft and would lose him after a year.

I'd rather have Timmins myself. Very underrated prospect IMO.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
If Buffalo get offered a top 6 forward of any kind, they should take it and run for the hills
EUxkiQuWoAMOg1e.jpeg

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I doubt that he'd return Domi, Montreal has seen too much of Ristolainen to think that that makes any sense whatsoever.

I've always thought that Drouin for Ristolainen makes sense from a change of scenery scenario, because both have pedigree and show flashes of high end talent, but have below replacement-level impacts. I'm skeptical anything would happen though because: (a) Bergevin like Drouin a lot, (b) its clear why Buffalo may prefer to keep Ristolainen in such scenario, and (c) its in-division.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I doubt that he'd return Domi, Montreal has seen too much of Ristolainen to think that that makes any sense whatsoever.

I've always thought that Drouin for Ristolainen makes sense from a change of scenery scenario, because both have pedigree and show flashes of high end talent, but have below replacement-level impacts. I'm skeptical anything would happen though because: (a) Bergevin like Drouin a lot, (b) its clear why Buffalo may prefer to keep Ristolainen in such scenario, and (c) its in-division.

I can see what Drouin brings to Buffalo, they need players like him, but I have no idea what Risto would bring to Canadiens, as long as Petry is in Montreal.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I can see what Drouin brings to Buffalo, they need players like him, but I have no idea what Risto would bring to Canadiens, as long as Petry is in Montreal.

Petry is a UFA in 2021 and will be turning 34 the next season. Considering how effective Petry has been and Bergevin's historical reluctance to offer competitive contracts to most guys in their 30s, I'm not convinced he'll be in Montreal long term. And if the best offers Montreal would get for Domi are guys like Ristolainen, they're better off keeping him and shifting him or another guy to LW, which may lead to a guy like Drouin being expendable.

It would be more of a change of scenery trade in the hopes that both guys may just increase their value though.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Petry is a UFA in 2021 and will be turning 34 the next season. Considering how effective Petry has been and Bergevin's historical reluctance to offer competitive contracts to most guys in their 30s, I'm not convinced he'll be in Montreal long term. And if the best offers Montreal would get for Domi are guys like Ristolainen, they're better off keeping him and shifting him or another guy to LW, which may lead to a guy like Drouin being expendable.

It would be more of a change of scenery trade in the hopes that both guys may just increase their value though.

HABs are a better team with Domi. Team needs are LHD and toughness. Risto brings neither. I can't see this happening unless another player is involved.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
HABs are a better team with Domi. Team needs are LHD and toughness. Risto brings neither. I can't see this happening unless another player is involved.

I'm talking about Drouin for Ristolainen, not Domi. Trading Domi for Ristolainen is a terrible idea for Montreal. And Montreal's issues are LD (particularly a PMD), their Power-Kill™, forward size and high end offensive talent. Ristolainen probably wont help with any of that stuff either, but we're also talking about a pure change of scenery, so its less about getting what you expect and more about hoping its a beneficial change of scenery.

Reactions: qqaz

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Nah, we've had plenty of inconsistent offensive value, 0 value anywhere else on the ice wingers over the past several seasons. Plus, we're fully stocked on LW. Montreal can keep Drouin.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I'm talking about Drouin for Ristolainen, not Domi. Trading Domi for Ristolainen is a terrible idea for Montreal. And Montreal's issues are LD (particularly a PMD), their Power-Kill™, forward size and high end offensive talent. Ristolainen probably wont help with any of that stuff either, but we're also talking about a pure change of scenery, so its less about getting what you expect and more about hoping its a beneficial change of scenery.

Drop in makes sense for BUF, but Ristorante is not the player Habs need.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Risto was only a minus 2 this season, while he plays all the heavy minutes and on a very poor defensive team. Guy would do really well on a good team, where the forwards are committed to playing hard for the full 200 feet, and when they don’t have the puck. Buffalo would be foolish to trade Risto, because they have no one to replace him.

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I still think Ristolainen has more "value" than this forum likes to give credit for. He's really been a victim of nightmare circumstances, which plays a huge role in generating his much maligned "analytics numbers". Continually shoehorned into a role he's just not cut out for, due to lack of real quality to supplant him effectively. Playing with teams that have been poorly coached, and behind Forwards who couldn't find the defensive zone on a map, and in front of shaky goaltending for much of the time. He's far from that complete defenceman he was hoped to become...but he does still bring a combination of size and offensive (PP ability) that can be really useful, if the pieces are in place to use him correctly.

If you can get him on a team that has a legitimate, bonafide "shutdown pairing" to roll in the tough minutes...and can afford to just staple a defenceman to the top offensive line, he could be a really effective piece. Basically...give him the treatment the Canucks did with Ehrhoff in their circa 2011 era.

Problem is...that really neuters what you can likely get for him in trade. The mythos of Ristolainen becoming that "#1D" has really worn off. So nobody is buying "on potential" anymore. But at that point...he still can be a very useful player. It probably makes more sense to just keep him, and work on actually building the right support to insulate him into a role where he can excel. Makes for a player that's really difficult to trade.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
If a defenseman being paid $5.5m a year cant play "tough minutes" how much value does he actually have? if you want a guy who you only want to give sheltered offensive minutes to, go and sign Tim Heed in the offseason

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Nah, we've had plenty of inconsistent offensive value, 0 value anywhere else on the ice wingers over the past several seasons. Plus, we're fully stocked on LW. Montreal can keep Drouin.

Plus Montreal doesn't need a d who would play on the 3rd pairing, so that suggestion by that person is just terrible.

Ristolainen seems like a player who would play better on a better team, which will just make people laugh at Buffalo for trading him but I cant see him returning anything of value by himself.

By value I mean a legitimate top 6 player.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

We've discussed this. There's no chance that Risto has enough value to get Domi.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Hab's have no interest in trading Drouin for some 3rd pairing D-man so i guess we agree Buf can keep Risto.

TysonBarrie

Jun 30, 2018
The only way you can hope of getting a good return for Rasmus Ristolainen is if the GM hasn't done his homework since 2015.

To put it bluntly, he is a terrible defenceman and his flaws are hidden by his point production.

If you're looking to get a player, you're likely to get a third line forward in return.
If you're looking for draft picks, Rasmus can still fetch you a late first imo.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
Risto will not be traded this year.. The GM that did not like him is gone and the coach that still likes him is here = One more full season in Buffalo..

Reactions: qqaz

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I wouldn't do it but many Habs fans probably offer Drouin even up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad