Player Discussion: Rasmus Kupari

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Yep.

Should Heinola end up being traded we can literally cut n' paste this para and pass it onto that fanbase. Let's hope they don't have each other's text #s.

Very happy with this pick. He's my sleeper add of this deal.

But then, I was a big fan of peak One Man Armia.
Yep I loved Armia as well. Although in this deal Iafallo is the one for me. Been a big fan of his for awhile.

Reactions: JetsUK

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Yep I loved Armia as well. Although in this deal Iafallo is the one for me. Been a big fan of his for awhile.

Good to hear -- haven't paid much attention to him before but really looking forward to seeing him in action.

Jericho111091

Dec 18, 2014
Paramount Ca
He's a lot like pre breakout Kempe in that he can alternate between being a treat and a frustration to watch. The skill is evident but he'll make some boneheaded plays now and then. Within a shift he'll make a nice deke, give the puck away and then take a dumb penalty and then have a chance coming out of the box. Stylistically a kempe is probably the best comparison though he is already better defensively and better at faceoffs then kempe was. So if he can get more disciplined and find more consistency offensively he could be a gem. Part of the problem may have been utilization since McLellan is steadfast in his dedication to the 1-3-1 and there isn't much room for creativity

Last edited:

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I really like this piece of the trade package - and believe that Kupari could prove to be the true wildcard that tips the trade massively in our favor. This looks like another Finn that needed a little longer than expected to get comfortable with the transition to na hockey; has been relegated to a 4th line checking role on the Kings; and has perhaps lost confidence in his offensive capabilities. Let`s hope that the org will indeed give this guy every reasonable opportunity to show what he can do in roles other than 4th line checking.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I really like this piece of the trade package - and believe that Kupari could prove to be the true wildcard that tips the trade massively in our favor. This looks like another Finn that needed a little longer than expected to get comfortable with the transition to na hockey; has been relegated to a 4th line checking role on the Kings; and has perhaps lost confidence in his offensive capabilities. Let`s hope that the org will indeed give this guy every reasonable opportunity to show what he can do in roles other than 4th line checking.

Sure - 3rd line checking. :laugh:
That's what Jets do.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Per that new Sun article, Chevy wants to keep some spots open (top 6 center) to give guys like Perfetti the chance to seize the opportunity. Would be something if Kupari comes into camp and earns that role

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Per that new Sun article, Chevy wants to keep some spots open (top 6 center) to give guys like Perfetti the chance to seize the opportunity. Would be something if Kupari comes into camp and earns that role

He's got the size and speed that you generally look for in a top 6 C. I'd be over the moon if this kid could come in and earn a top 6C spot. Kid also seems decent on the dot going 54% last year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Chevy said that in an interview a day or two ago at the draft. Said that Perfetti had come up at C and now might get an opportunity to move there at the NHL level.

The main constraint will be Bowness, who is very reluctant to give young players key roles and is excessively focused on face off stats.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Kupari has never shown the scoring pedigree to make me think that he'd be able to perform in a top 6 C role, but I'd love to be proven wrong. To be fair, he was playing against men in Liga

Screenshot_20230630_194930_Chrome.jpg

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Kupari has never shown the scoring pedigree to make me think that he'd be able to perform in a top 6 C role, but I'd love to be proven wrong. To be fair, he was playing against men in Liga

View attachment 724433

He definitely seems like more of a distributor but seems to have a decent shot as well. Hits, skates well and has decent size and not bad on the dot. Apparantly Kings never played him outside of the bottom 6. Wonder what he could do between Perfetti and Vilardi.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

He's got the size and speed that you generally look for in a top 6 C. I'd be over the moon if this kid could come in and earn a top 6C spot. Kid also seems decent on the dot going 54% last year.

Whatever you guys are smoking, @Jets 31 wants some. :laugh:

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca

View attachment 724433
Yeah was looking at those numbers, fairly disappointing.
You can see the talent though:

Obviously all his highlights but he looks exceptionally skilled. Fast, soft hands, good shot, seems to find the open areas. I mean LA gave him more than enough chance with 123 games over the past two seasons and hasn't done much but maybe a change of scenery will help.

Could probably say the exact same thing about these highlights though:

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Iafallo-Lowry-Kupari would be a very punishing line.
Do we know if Iafallo is still coming here? Apparently he is down right not happy being traded and there were rumours Jets would flip him.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Do we know if Iafallo is still coming here? Apparently he is down right not happy being traded and there were rumours Jets would flip him.
Source? He can be unhappy all he wants, he's under contract. Either he plays here or he doesn't play in this league.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Source? He can be unhappy all he wants, he's under contract. Either he plays here or he doesn't play in this league.
32 thoughts said he had the biggest “culture shock” with being traded and then another talking head(can’t remember if it was EF or DD.. think it may have been DP) said that there were potentially flipping him.

He’s been radio silent. No comments from him via socials or from Jets. Eerily quiet tbh.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
32 thoughts said he had the biggest “culture shock” with being traded and then another talking head(can’t remember if it was EF or DD.. think it may have been DP) said that there were potentially flipping him.

He’s been radio silent. No comments from him via socials or from Jets. Eerily quiet tbh.

Dude was pretty into the California lifestyle. He's big into surfing. I think he was hoping to be a King for life.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Suomalainen NHL-pelaaja hörppi drinkkiä Mallorcalla – Sitten tuli mullistava puhelu: ”Tyhjä olo kyllä oli”

Kupari tells Finnish media what he thinks about beeing traded from sunny California to Winnipeg:

- Business is business. I cant say this is a disappointment.
- Many players in LA are close friends, but theres nothing you can do about it. I`m going from the positive side of this.
- I`ve lived in Oulu in northern Finland. Climate is the same as in Winnipeg so I`ll get used to it. Gotta buy me some long-johns again.
- Hockey is the biggest sport in Canada. If you f*** up they let you hear about it and if you do well youre a hero. Jets got fanatic fans so it feels good to get to see Canadian hockey-culture.
- My goal is to be a better player and i have to work especially hard thi summer to get a bigger role and take the next step.
- Jets have a really good skating core, good coaching and hardnosed team. Some rewamping is beeing done there too. I want to be a part of the core.
- I`m excited to get this opportunity.

He seems to be pretty ok with the trade and will probably compete for a spot.
Thanks a lot for posting!!

We have been struggling trying to define what this offseason is for the Jets. But I am firmly behind calling it a rewamping now! :)

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Good interview but I am so sick of the comments about Winnipeg weather I want to 🤮
It comes up in so many stories you'd think we were frozen solid for the entire year. Maybe time report how Alberta has snow storms in June ( just recently), B.C. is burning to the ground etc.
I often wonder if the offseason was mid-December to mid-March, what the attitude towards playing in Winnipeg would be.

Reactions: thereturn

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Good interview but I am so sick of the comments about Winnipeg weather I want to 🤮
It comes up in so many stories you'd think we were frozen solid for the entire year. Maybe time report how Alberta has snow storms in June ( just recently), B.C. is burning to the ground etc.
More like the reporters always throws in the cold and shitty weather in Canada. I can tell you - Oulu in Finland is one of the worst location in weather-conditions over here, so Kupari is pretty used to that. The kid just seem happy to get a chance on a team that is dooing a rebuild/retool. He wouldnt get the same chance in LA.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
If he doesn't want to be a Winnipeg Jet then i would trade him to Arizona, lots of surfing over there. Ya i'm sick of hearing about guys that don't want to be a Winnipeg Jet .:laugh:
Iafallo has been with the Kings his whole career. He has a high compete level. I can understand him being hurt at being traded. It's not necessarily about Winnipeg.

Best case scenario, it causes him to play with a chip on his shoulder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad